Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Street/Track/Time Trial Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate you explaining it more in-depth. I will compare rotor temperature with and without the duct cover to see what (if any) difference it makes.

Again, I applaud what you are doing with the car, and the effort you are making to document what you've done, thus allowing comment and discussion on how to improve the car. I look forward to the results, and it may also be worth logging temps with the hose disconnected from the inner end, where it attaches to the disc duct.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Prepped and ready for this weekend at VIR. Going to run one day on the Full course and one day on Grand. Here's to hoping VIR fixed their Chademo station....not holding my breath.

And here's the final build for this event:

Suspension
MCS Model 3 Coilovers AWD/Performance
MPP Model 3 Rear Toe Arms
SPL Model 3 Rear Camber Arms
MPP Front Upper Control Arms
Unplugged Front Adjustable Sway Bar
Unplugged Rear Adjustable Sway Bar
Whiteline Front Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
Whiteline Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Brakes
MPP Page Mill P3D+ Front Rotors
MPP Page Mill P3D+ Rear Rotors
EVRS Front Brake Duct Kit
Carbotech RP2 Front Brake Pads
RB XT970 Rear Brake Pads
MPP Stainless Steel Brake Lines
RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires
18x9.5" ET35 APEX EC-7 Tesla Wheel Black
Federal 595RS-PRO 265/40/18

Exterior
Unplugged Front Lip Spoiler
Topfit Rear Spoiler
EVRS Rear Diffuser

Miscellaneous
Schroth Quick-Fit Pro E90 Harness
AIM Solo 2
Scan My Tesla OBD

I may switch one thing out Saturday evening if it's not freezing.

Well my goal for the weekend was to hit 3:00 on VIR Grand, and I was able to obtain that! I set my PB with only 9 laps of VIR Grand under my belt. Being such a long track (4.1 miles), you have about 2 chances to set a PB from 100% SOC (you use 10% per lap). I started with 90% SOC, so after my warm-up lap I knew I had one chance to do it, and I managed to get it done. The next lap I hit traffic anyway, so it worked out.

The car performed very well. The only issue I had was brake fade into turn one immediately following my PB. I actually got the brakes over temperature warning and SMT showed temps over 1200f. Fortunately, I am working with Essex for a permanent solve for that issue. It seems the rotors are just too thin to handle the mass of the car, which isn't terribly surprising. That being said, it only became an issue when I started pushing 10/10ths.

Here's a video. I mounted an external microphone under the frunk. I didn't consider how much noise the tires would be making, but the motor sounds pretty cool. May need to relocate it to the rear drive unit area. Also overlaid the data from SMT which is pretty sweet!

Thanks, I'll try it.
Depends on whether you felt the TC was intervening much. Someone with a RWD Model 3 tried it on atrack and reckoned it was faster.

I definitely think the standard TC would be slower than Dyno Mode, but I don't think Track Mode intervenes in any way that would slow you down. If anything, I think it makes the car faster by optimizing cooling and power output. I spent all day working with an instructor Saturday and he was incredibly impressed with Track Mode and how well the car could put power down and pull out of corners. It will absolutely let you get sideways, but it will intervene if you're completely out of control.

I definitely think the standard TC would be slower than Dyno Mode, but I don't think Track Mode intervenes in any way that would slow you down. If anything, I think it makes the car faster by optimizing cooling and power output. I spent all day working with an instructor Saturday and he was incredibly impressed with Track Mode and how well the car could put power down and pull out of corners. It will absolutely let you get sideways, but it will intervene if you're completely out of control.

Track mode definitely intervenes too much in some types of corner. I've experienced it and it's quite frustrating at times.
The problem is we can't have track mode and dyno mode at the same time (AFAIK) so what we might gain with dyno mode we'll lose as the drivetrain warms up.
What we need is Track Mode Plus with adjustable TC/SC.

Track mode definitely intervenes too much in some types of corner. I've experienced it and it's quite frustrating at times.
The problem is we can't have track mode and dyno mode at the same time (AFAIK) so what we might gain with dyno mode we'll lose as the drivetrain warms up.
What we need is Track Mode Plus with adjustable TC/SC.

I recall Elon had mentioned it would be user adjustable at some point, but it definitely doesn't look like they ever got around to it.

What types of corners do you feel it intervenes too much in? I noticed once the SOC drops and the motors heat up the car has a harder time putting power down unless your steering angle is straight, but I think that is a thermal/battery limit and not a traction control one.

I recall Elon had mentioned it would be user adjustable at some point, but it definitely doesn't look like they ever got around to it.

What types of corners do you feel it intervenes too much in? I noticed once the SOC drops and the motors heat up the car has a harder time putting power down unless your steering angle is straight, but I think that is a thermal/battery limit and not a traction control one.
There are corners where you may need to slide the car a little in order to keep up the momentum for the exit. This is where I feel it's holding back somewhat. Track mode allows some sliding, but not enough for some situations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Well my goal for the weekend was to hit 3:00 on VIR Grand, and I was able to obtain that! I set my PB with only 9 laps of VIR Grand under my belt. Being such a long track (4.1 miles), you have about 2 chances to set a PB from 100% SOC (you use 10% per lap). I started with 90% SOC, so after my warm-up lap I knew I had one chance to do it, and I managed to get it done. The next lap I hit traffic anyway, so it worked out.

The car performed very well. The only issue I had was brake fade into turn one immediately following my PB. I actually got the brakes over temperature warning and SMT showed temps over 1200f. Fortunately, I am working with Essex for a permanent solve for that issue. It seems the rotors are just too thin to handle the mass of the car, which isn't terribly surprising. That being said, it only became an issue when I started pushing 10/10ths.

Here's a video. I mounted an external microphone under the frunk. I didn't consider how much noise the tires would be making, but the motor sounds pretty cool. May need to relocate it to the rear drive unit area. Also overlaid the data from SMT which is pretty sweet!

Do you happen to remember what gopro settings you were using? The sense of speed on your video makes it way more exciting to watch than all others I've seen, including mine. I think I may also try to find a good external mic, in addition to turning the "hypersmooth" stabilization feature off. Solid laps!

Next event in less than two weeks. Preparation underway.

IMG_20200304_185036.jpg

IMG_20200304_174231.jpg