Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Stuck on firmware version 2019.15.1041 753fOa5 Tesla Service Says It's Fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I need your help. I picked up my P3D in June for my birthday and my fiance with her dual motor has had two software updates since then. I took it in to Tesla service for erratic navigation positioning and mentioned my car may need a software updated. They researched and mentioned that since my car was on hardware 3.0, and a performance model, that there was no software updates for my car and they were not sure when software updates will be available for my car. This does not sound right to me.

Can some of my SoCal owners please confirm you are receiving software updates for your P3D with hardware version 3.0?

I may have to take it to another Tesla service center. I've had my share of issues with the service center in Van Nuys. Perhaps I will try Burbank next time.

Thanks all,

Gabriel Paz

They're correct, everybody with confirmed hw3 is stuck on that. Same for me. I did get a navigation update to .20

Teslafi says differently - although I appreciate this is a sampling only.

(I am also a HW3/P3D and have 2019.24.4.)

Autopilot 3 Totals - 50 Active Cars

Software Version Count Percent
2019.24.4 73fb1ab 29 58%
2019.20.4.3 57296af 8 16%
2019.20.4.2 66625e9 9 18%
2019.20.2.1 5659e07 1 2%
2019.16.3.2 a19d0e4 3 6%

I have a HW3 LR RWD also delivered late June and still on 2019.15.1041. It did update once about 2 weeks ago from another 2019.15 version. Everything working fine but would like beach buggy etc at some point.
I figure there probably aren't as many LR RWD HW3 since they were taken off menu after the HW3 started rolling out and will take a little longer to get to my config.

They're correct, everybody with confirmed hw3 is stuck on that. Same for me. I did get a navigation update to .20
I have HD3 and on 24.4 (mid May build).
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 1.55.47 PM.png

Took delivery at end of July (LR Dual Motor), build date of Mid-July and on 2019.15.104.1 as well - I suspect cars after X date, or X VIN are purposefully being kept on a different software branch, for what reason, I have no idea. Could be to help put time/miles on a code-base built/tested specifically for HW3 only. Could be because there's in fact some hardware difference, requiring a different software branch. The former seems reasonable, if the desire is sometime in Q3 to start to having HW3 code-bases diverge in some respect and ultimately to begin rolling out HW3 replacements to existing customers.

I did not notice any AP changes. Which changes were you able to identify?

I did play Beach Buggy 2 last night - it's fun.
I haven't played the Beach Buggy!
So my normal 30 mile commute on a mix of city and highway with off and on traffic (stop and go to 80+mph), with the old software it would frequently slow and speed up (perhaps with shadows), and even do some harder braking. This would happen countless times. Over the weekend on a 100 mile drive, AP was frustrating and nauseating to myself and passengers.

Today, no phantom slowdowns/braking and much smoother tracking of the lane when there's curves. Will try again on my way home. It's at least as good as my 2018 Golf R, which was quite a good system actually and had more customization in terms of response (Eco, Comfort, Normal, and even Race) than Tesla has.

I haven't played the Beach Buggy!
So my normal 30 mile commute on a mix of city and highway with off and on traffic (stop and go to 80+mph), with the old software it would frequently slow and speed up (perhaps with shadows), and even do some harder braking. This would happen countless times. Over the weekend on a 100 mile drive, AP was frustrating and nauseating to myself and passengers.

Today, no phantom slowdowns/braking and much smoother tracking of the lane when there's curves. Will try again on my way home. It's at least as good as my 2018 Golf R, which was quite a good system actually and had more customization in terms of response (Eco, Comfort, Normal, and even Race) than Tesla has.
Wait... so your Golf R has something similar to Autopilot? If so, how does it work. It probably is not as complete as Autopilot, correct?

I had a Prius Prime for a short stint before I bought my Tesla and that car autobraked and maintained autocorrected for lane departure, but that's all. I always thought, why not make this a complete package and have the car drive itself. If anyone can do it (finance wise) it's Toyota. But I understand the difficulty in setting something like this up. Hence, the reason why I drive a Tesla!

Here is my unsubstatiated theory. So they started shipping HW3 in april, and then they stopped shipping HW3, and now are shipping again. So my theory is there are more than one version of HW3 computer, and some people with the one version of HW3 are stuck on 2019.15.* . Ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Wait... so your Golf R has something similar to Autopilot? If so, how does it work. It probably is not as complete as Autopilot, correct?

I think he's referring to adaptive cruise control, only.

Great questions! There's a lot of variability with the Golf line-up, and it varies a lot by region.
In the USA, the current top-spec Golf R model, has full speed adaptive cruise control - meaning it'll take you to a full stop in traffic, but you either have to press the Cruise resume button on the wheel or tap the accelerator to start going again. There's also the same, but arguably less abrupt lane keeping system as the Tesla.

The hardware on the car, however, is capable of much more...and anyone familiar with the VW/Audi family knows how much customization those cars can have, if you're up for some OBDII fun - there's even "apps" for that now! (OBDeleven as an example) - and I'm not talking about a software tune to get more HP, but you can adjust some of the braking/awd functions.

So I adjusted the Golf R's programming to match more of the European Golf programming (their regulations are different than the USA).
Here's what that basically equated to:
  • Ability to read traffic speed limit/road signs - although I couldn't get it to auto adjust cruise control based on those speeds.
  • Ability to lane center (not ping pong between lane markers) when driving above 40mph - WITHOUT the need to activate adaptive cruise control - which is something I wish Tesla would allow us to do...and lane centering auto deactivates/reactivates with lane changes (also something tesla should figure out).
  • Ability to auto resume from a stop in stop-and-go traffic situations - but I couldn't get the programming to go beyond a 3 second delay in a full stop...in Europe it will (so Tesla does win here)
  • Ability to see other cars in the instrument cluster, like Tesla - in front of the car - and similar to Tesla you can have it accelerate faster to overtake another car while in adaptive cruise - and you can have overtake prevention.
Another example...my mom's 2015 Honda CRV with Honda's Gen 1 Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keep system...that also will keep me centered in lane without ping pong, and has adaptive cruise. The current gen of Honda's system is much better...with massive improvements to the delays in acceleration and more consistent lane centering.

What Telsa does better than these systems I've used is it can handle pretty severe turns, whereas most of these other cars would give up. Tesla also does a bit better when it comes to other cars cutting in during slow traffic situations.

The press/media hype around Tesla's auto pilot (in basic form), makes it seem like a mind blowing feature, but really it's an evolution of something that's existed for years, even in non-luxury brands. EAP and FSD are the bleeding edge things that Tesla offers now, that other brands don't really offer...closest now is Cadillac's supercruise.