Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ tires and rims, noise and costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked before, didn't find anything but I might suck at searching for info.

I've ordered a P3D+ and added the OEM winter tires. I have never cracked a rim before, and seldom had scratches, so I wasn't immediately worried about the low profile tires on 20" rims.
However, I'm wondering about a few things:
1) How much more road noise can I expect from the 20s vs 18 aero?
2) Is it possible to find 18" rims that fit the P3D+ which I can also use the aero covers on?
3) Is it hard to aftermarket the OEM rims? Do they fit a lot of cars?

I would not order 20” snow tires. Your options are limited and very expensive. You will also loose range in the cold weather so don’t want to run in the winter on 20” wheels. There are entire threads on what 18” wheels fit on the P3D+.

I ordered 18” Fast Wheels EV01(+). These are the only “Aero” style wheels that will fit over performance brakes. You will then also have much more and cheaper options for winter tires.

I would not order 20” snow tires. Your options are limited and very expensive. You will also loose range in the cold weather so don’t want to run in the winter on 20” wheels. There are entire threads on what 18” wheels fit on the P3D+.

I ordered 18” Fast Wheels EV01(+). These are the only “Aero” style wheels that will fit over performance brakes. You will then also have much more and cheaper options for winter tires.
Tesla only allows 20" winter wheels as an option on its website.

It is not known what other wheel specs (18s, 19s, etc) are officially permitted with the car. (In fact im contacting Tesla today to find out.)
In some countries, these specifications need to be strictly adhered to. Either it will cause problems with registration, or insurance claims, or shops will flat-out refuse to do the installation. The actual vehicle title and certificate of conformance for my last vehicles, listed every single tire/wheel configuration allowed, and actual aftermarket modifications like chin spoiler, because such fitments need to be registered.

This website says the Performance model has a special multi-radius hub, so the OEM 20s has a notch on its hub carrier to fit into it flush.
So aftermarket wheels equires machining that extra notch. OR sourcing of a 3mm thick, 2.25mm wide, 64.1mm/70.10mm ID/OD hub ring.

I checked local tire/wheel websites using their vehicle-based tools, and the wheels they offered were... pretty ugly.

Ideally reputable wheels like OZ, BBS, etc, can be a straight fit, but none of their products have ABE/TuV approved compatibility with Tesla.

Model-3-Performance-Hub.jpg

Interesting the EU allows only "permitted" modifications, especially something like wheels. In the US it's a free for all, with the only stipulation that warranties could be denied if your modification "could" have been the source the warranty claim.

@Nevers46, as was stated before, an 18" rim is also a popular track day modification for the TM3P+ owners so there is plenty of information on those threads and the winter tire threads. You will even get images of those that have made the switch to help your decision.

Interesting the EU allows only "permitted" modifications, especially something like wheels. In the US it's a free for all, with the only stipulation that warranties could be denied if your modification "could" have been the source the warranty claim.

@Nevers46, as was stated before, an 18" rim is also a popular track day modification for the TM3P+ owners so there is plenty of information on those threads and the winter tire threads. You will even get images of those that have made the switch to help your decision.

I get why the authorities do it. And you do see the occasional wildly modified cars on the streets. Not sure how they get by, but I kinda want to play by the rules.

This thread looks promising. The guy says Tesla 19s bolt directly onto the hub. Although another person said Tesla wouldnt sell him the 19s, when he asked about his specific VIN

19 inch Tesla Sport wheels on M3P

Thank you for the replies, I will try to clarify my questions (in order of importance):
1) How much ROAD NOISE can I expect from the 20s vs 18s with aero covers. I've read it's the same, but also that it's awful.
2) Is it possible to find 18" rims for P+ models which can use AERO COVERS. I have found lots of 18" that will fit the car itself.
3) Are the rims compatible with many other cars, and therefore easy to aftermarket? I don't know jack about rims, inpress, ABE/TuV, etc. so that's why I'm asking.

Yeah, I've seen those threads, I don't have an issue finding ANY 18", I'm asking if there exists any that the AERO covers will fit. I get that the cold reduces the range, but 20" will not reduce additional range because of the cold, it's already subtracted in the 530km WLTP rating vs 560 on LR AWD.

Tesla only allows 20" winter wheels as an option on its website.

It is not known what other wheel specs (18s, 19s, etc) are officially permitted with the car. (In fact im contacting Tesla today to find out.)
Tesla only recommends 20s, I asked earlier today. Also, I know about the legal implications here in Norway, but thanks for the warning :)

...as was stated before, an 18" rim is also a popular track day modification for the TM3P+ owners so there is plenty of information on those threads and the winter tire threads. You will even get images of those that have made the switch to help your decision.
Thanks! I've seen those threads and have a couple of different rims in mind, I was asking about aero cover compatibility because that would swing my decision.

You can find affordable 18", 19" and 20" winter wheel and tire packages specifically for the P3D from Tire Rack. I ended up spending a bit more to get an 18" package from TSportline (I liked the look). I chose the 18" winter wheels to reduce the chance of damage from potholes, of which there are plenty up here in New England during the snowy months.

Sorry if this has been asked before, didn't find anything but I might suck at searching for info.

I've ordered a P3D+ and added the OEM winter tires. I have never cracked a rim before, and seldom had scratches, so I wasn't immediately worried about the low profile tires on 20" rims.
However, I'm wondering about a few things:
1) How much more road noise can I expect from the 20s vs 18 aero?
2) Is it possible to find 18" rims that fit the P3D+ which I can also use the aero covers on?
3) Is it hard to aftermarket the OEM rims? Do they fit a lot of cars?

1) Not that much
2) No, but who cares
3) No, see other responses.

Someone in UK just installed the 19” Winter tire set in the UK on a P3D+. So OEM 19” do fit.

You might find this thread I created on changing tires, rims and efficiency. Note, you have more tire choices with 19” than 18” or 20”. Tires are everything.

Afraid of loosing Aero efficiency vs Cool looking Wheels?

Tesla only recommends 20s, I asked earlier today. Also, I know about the legal implications here in Norway, but thanks for the warning :)
NOR office also just told me the same right now. I wrote that part about compliance since 90% of this website are Americans, where they can do willy-nilly to their cars.

In that other UK thread, the guy had to atleast negotiate with his dealership to get the 19" wheels.

About the road noise 18 vs 20", the bigger difference IMO is the smaller variety of tires 20" has access to, which have different noise characteristics. Its not due to the wheel sizing per se.

NOR office also just told me the same right now. I wrote that part about compliance since 90% of this website are Americans, where they can do willy-nilly to their cars.

In that other UK thread, the guy had to atleast negotiate with his dealership to get the 19" wheels.

About the road noise 18 vs 20", the bigger difference IMO is the smaller variety of tires 20" has access to, which have different noise characteristics. Its not due to the wheel sizing per se.
I get that, I just assumed that the 35 profile was inherit more loud than a 45 profile.
I asked them about 19" wheels, they say it'll cost more up front than getting the 20s. Also, you're not allowed to swap tires at delivery, you have to do it somewhere else, so I'd get a P3D+ with 20" PS4S on December 19th in Norway.

I have to be absolutely sure that there's a shop very near who can swap the tires for me. I think the 19" sport rims look stunning on a white TM3.

I asked them about 19" wheels, they say it'll cost more up front than getting the 20s.

Ah, perhaps they mean they would treat the 19" as standalone sale, liable to tax, whereas 20" would be as part of the vehicle purchase and exempt from VAT under current incentives.

I bit the bullet and spec'ed the 20" winters just to be able to drive the car out on delivery. If they perform poorly, ill likely swap the 20s summers for something else come spring time

I can't answer your question specifically to 18s, but I haven't seen this posted yet and I don't have access to the EU page to see if they are available there, but there is a 19", performance specific (and hence tested/approved) with removable aero covers.

Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package
It's a new wheel and apparently standard on the Chinese model. They are also expensive.

Here is a good review before they were offered which shows them both with and without the inserts.

I can't answer your question specifically to 18s, but I haven't seen this posted yet and I don't have access to the EU page to see if they are available there, but there is a 19", performance specific (and hence tested/approved) with removable aero covers.

Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package
It's a new wheel and apparently standard on the Chinese model. They are also expensive.

Here is a good review before they were offered which shows them both with and without the inserts.
Thanks for the heads up! We cannot order rims from the Tesla shop in Europe at all, we have to go directly to a service center.

That said, those 19" AEROs are in conflict with my esthetic preferences. Maybe even at war.