Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ vs P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: MountainPass
Today, we drove two Model 3s from Lake Tahoe to Oakland. Mostly all the journey on Auto Pilot set at 79MPH and pretty heavy traffic jam.
Here is the stats for 184.2 Miles total.
RWD with AeroWheel: 35KWh with 191 Wh/Mi
P3D+ with 20 inches: 42KWh with 229 Wh/Mi

That's quite a difference!
The weight of those cast aluminum 20 inch wheels kills the efficiency, just like when you switch from the 19's to the 21's on the Model S. Wonder where the AWD falls in the Wh/Mi?

There were lots of threads debating the value of the performance upgrade package back when it was all speculation. The cars have been shipping for a while now. Have there been *any* back to back comparisons?

Suspension differences? Braking differences? Anything?
Reminds me of when I bought my modelS. 2013 and they just got a p version of the car in the dealorship. I test drove it and realized very quickly that given my driving, I would never be able to tell the difference from a non p. As an investor I hope you all order performance version and wear the badge proudly but I stick to non p tesla model in my garage ( on fifth now)

The weight of those cast aluminum 20 inch wheels kills the efficiency, just like when you switch from the 19's to the 21's on the Model S. Wonder where the AWD falls in the Wh/Mi?

It's not the weight of the wheels it's the rolling resistance of the PS4S tires plus the lack of an aerodynamic profile on those Wheels. Plus you're adding almost 250 lb of weight. Also the induction motor is the front is less efficient, although most of the time, that's a non factor, as the rear drive motor is used exclusively for cruising and doesn't get turned on outside of high power foot-to-the-floor type acceleration.

Last edited:
Nope.

Exact same PNs on the entire drive unit (which includes the inverter) between AWD and P3D (both + and -)

There's also plenty of evidence that the AWD cars can achieve the same horsepower as the P3D, based on their 1/4 mile trap times being very close 113 MPH vs 115 MPH.

The Dyno charts also show what appears to be a software limited torque curve.

So it's evident that Tesla could uncork the AWD Model 3s to at least have better performance than they have now, and likely the same limit as the performance Model 3.

I think they should offer a software upgrade and make it equal the cost of the difference between the P3D- and the AWD originally. Inevitably some P3D owners will complain, but it's hard to make everyone happy. (Happy P3D- owner here)

Attachments

• 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: phantasms
In Australia, England and other RHD markets Tesla is only shipping us the SR+, P- and P+ versions of the Model 3. I'm planning on getting the P- as its at a good break point with our Luxury Car Tax making the P+ sharply more expensive.

I'm enjoying reading through these threads to get an idea of what I'll be getting in August :D

Reactions: MagnusMako
In my P3D+ I have to say I really dislike the 10mm drop. I've scraped twice in parking lots (once on a speed bump, once just a sharp ish drop before the chock/wheel stop). Anyone know exactly what parts to swap out on a P3D+ to get the same ride height as the stock AWD?

UK ordering page showing the option for P3D- for £48590 ($61,088) or P3D+ for £3,700 ($4651) more ($65,742).

Tesla-UK-1.png

Tesla-UK-2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
There's also plenty of evidence that the AWD cars can achieve the same horsepower as the P3D, based on their 1/4 mile trap times being very close 113 MPH vs 115 MPH.

The Dyno charts also show what appears to be a software limited torque curve.

So it's evident that Tesla could uncork the AWD Model 3s to at least have better performance than they have now, and likely the same limit as the performance Model 3.

I think they should offer a software upgrade and make it equal the cost of the difference between the P3D- and the AWD originally. Inevitably some P3D owners will complain, but it's hard to make everyone happy. (Happy P3D- owner here)

Close . . . but not quite. There is a legit almost 100 HP difference between P and AWD, but it's only there at lower speeds, which is why the P beats the AWD to 60 handily. Above 60 mph, the power curves still aren't quite totally overlapping but that big torque bulge in the P pretty much disappears. It's still producing a tiny bit more power at higher motor RPMs, but the difference isn't great, hence the terminal speeds in the quarter aren't that divergent. But it's still on average ~ 4 mph (not the 2 mph you quote).

Close . . . but not quite. There is a legit almost 100 HP difference between P and AWD, but it's only there at lower speeds, which is why the P beats the AWD to 60 handily. Above 60 mph, the power curves still aren't quite totally overlapping but that big torque bulge in the P pretty much disappears. It's still producing a tiny bit more power at higher motor RPMs, but the difference isn't great, hence the terminal speeds in the quarter aren't that divergent. But it's still on average ~ 4 mph (not the 2 mph you quote).

I'm generally onboard for the above, except the last line... most comparisons I've seen are indeed far nearer 2 mph than 4.

Most recently Motortrend found exactly a 2 mph difference in the 1/4 mile- (113.1 vs 115.1)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...el-3-long-range-dual-motor-first-test-review/

Motortrend said:
This 4,062-pound Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor hit 60 mph in just 4.0 seconds and passed the quarter-mile finish line in 12.5 seconds at 113.1 mph, all with only 346 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque.

The context really drives it home. The highest-performing Model 3s we've tested have been, naturally, Dual Motor Performance models with 450 horsepower and 471 lb-ft. The quickest of them hit 60 mph in 3.1 seconds and passed the quarter-mile finish line in 11.7 seconds at 115.1 mph

The RWD on the other hand only trapped at 104.9 for them.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
I'm going to have to agree with Knightshade.

You can look at dragtimes time slips for the P3D 1/4 mile times. Highest trap speeds are 116, with most between 114 and 115. I checked the Dragy app leaderboard times for P3D's in the last month and they're all on average about 114.5 mph as well. Trap times I see on the 3D are between 113 and 114.

Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

Show me multiple time slips of a P3D trapping 118 because I don't think there are any. Atleast not stock.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
UK ordering page showing the option for P3D- for £48590 ($61,088) or P3D+ for £3,700 ($4651) more ($65,742).

View attachment 428990
View attachment 428991
Anyone else find it interesting that the P3D+ listed here explicitly states Track Mode as an exclusive feature? That really does make the P3d- nothing but a software unlock. It also contradicts public statements made by Musk and Co over the last six months where P3d- and P3D+ are all but equal here in the US.