Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Badging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
forgive my noobness, but why would you want to debadge the model S? are you embarrassed to drive it or something?

It's a European thing...

You wouldn't want to show your neighbor that you can afford the BMW 750iL when he is driving the 730.

The class envy forces you to stay low key.

Why show off that you have the 85 version when the next guy can only afford the 40?

Very common to do in Europe, not so much here.

On the other hand, all my cars are debadged. I think it's cleaner looking.

I can understand removing anything dealer specific - their stickers or license plates, but not the make and/or model of the car...

It's a European thing...

You wouldn't want to show your neighbor that you can afford the BMW 750iL when he is driving the 730.

The class envy forces you to stay low key.

or perhaps the guy with the 730 is trying to make it look like he can afford a 750il? so it can go both ways .. people could be stretching their budgets and buy a low end car and debadge it to disguise the fact that they bought the cheapest model available just to get in the game and keep up with the jones. I mean if thats the way people are then I could see them debadging a 40 or 60, but why bother debadging the 85 or P85?

personally if either one of those is your reason, I think that is just very lame - one guy's trying to make himself look better (and probably should not be buying a BMW in the first place so this person is irresponsible with their money), and the other guy is trying hide his wealth (which is also stupid, because if you really wanted to hide your wealth then don't buy a BMW and instead you should go buy a chevy or a hyundai or something like that).

Why show off that you have the 85 version when the next guy can only afford the 40?

so it's somehow your fault that your neighbor didn't pay attention in school? If that's the reason someone is going to debadge their P85, and if I was the neighbor with the 40 I would feel like that is intentionally mocking me. people should not be embarrassed about being successful in life.

also, really, when you think about it, if you debadge your car, and your car gets stolen, how the hell is a cop going to find it? You report your vehicle stolen, it get's BOLO'd for the make and model, but if they can't easily identify the make and model of a car, well your car probably isn't going to be recovered.

IMHO debadging a car is ghetto looking anyway. It will likely give cops more of a reason to pull you over, like you are trying to hide something, and it could be argued that its also enough to give them 'probable cause' to search your vehicle - a stretch, but likely one that would get argued and judge end up siding with the officer in the end. Either way not worth the hassle in my opinion.

I mostly do not want the P85 badge because the car looks cleaner without it. The make&model stays however.

Also I do not see the need to advertise my car as a P85. I've had a few BMWs before, mostly without the badge. It was however tempting to put a 316i badge on the 328i to mess with people ;)

If the factory can't delete the badge, the store will have to do it before I take delivery. No way I'm doing it myself on a new car.

I mostly do not want the P85 badge because the car looks cleaner without it. The make&model stays however.

Also I do not see the need to advertise my car as a P85. I've had a few BMWs before, mostly without the badge. It was however tempting to put a 316i badge on the 328i to mess with people ;)

If the factory can't delete the badge, the store will have to do it before I take delivery. No way I'm doing it myself on a new car.

Understand your trepidation, but its very easy and not likely to cause any issues with paint at all.
Have you considered going to a local car shop that does high-end stereo and tinting? They would be intimately familiar with the technique of heat/floss/cleaner... no problem.

Let me know if anyone wants a P85 badge. I will take mine off when I get the car in 3 weeks.

Would love to have it!!!

i live in California (with a C ;)

Reason it should be on there is b/c I am on a daily basis propositioned to race someone. So far they have all been good hearted/natured. They see the car on the freeway and do their best to get next to me. Give me a nod or a peace sign....then they floor it hoping I follow suit.

All but a Lamborghini were impressed! (350Z, Camarro SS, mustang, 911, M5, Bentley, WRX, list goes on....).

if this happens to a 40 or 60 (or even NON performance 85kw) MS then the other driver should know that. Otherwise they will just say they smoked/destroyed a MS. It's like winning a drag race against a camarro versus winning a drag race against a Camarro SS. Or a BMW 325 versus an M3. These cars are NOT the same...and they should be badged differently!

I can understand removing anything dealer specific - their stickers or license plates, but not the make and/or model of the car...

or perhaps the guy with the 730 is trying to make it look like he can afford a 750il? so it can go both ways .. people could be stretching their budgets and buy a low end car and debadge it to disguise the fact that they bought the cheapest model available just to get in the game and keep up with the jones. I mean if thats the way people are then I could see them debadging a 40 or 60, but why bother debadging the 85 or P85?

personally if either one of those is your reason, I think that is just very lame - one guy's trying to make himself look better (and probably should not be buying a BMW in the first place so this person is irresponsible with their money), and the other guy is trying hide his wealth (which is also stupid, because if you really wanted to hide your wealth then don't buy a BMW and instead you should go buy a chevy or a hyundai or something like that).

so it's somehow your fault that your neighbor didn't pay attention in school? If that's the reason someone is going to debadge their P85, and if I was the neighbor with the 40 I would feel like that is intentionally mocking me. people should not be embarrassed about being successful in life.

also, really, when you think about it, if you debadge your car, and your car gets stolen, how the hell is a cop going to find it? You report your vehicle stolen, it get's BOLO'd for the make and model, but if they can't easily identify the make and model of a car, well your car probably isn't going to be recovered.

IMHO debadging a car is ghetto looking anyway. It will likely give cops more of a reason to pull you over, like you are trying to hide something, and it could be argued that its also enough to give them 'probable cause' to search your vehicle - a stretch, but likely one that would get argued and judge end up siding with the officer in the end. Either way not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Another reason why many people here (including myself and many people I know) debadge their cars is the "destruction because of envy" factor. Believe me there are lots of annoyed people out there who see a car with high-end badging and go like "hey, I can't afford a BMW 750, why should that owner enjoy his/her car", take out a sharp metal object and leave some "nice" scratches over hood, doors etc. Like so:

scratch.jpg

With a debadged car at least these people don't know when you've got the top engine under the hood. Might stop some of them.

And then there is the factor that mattered to me the most: it makes cleaning the car easier, and rust is less of a problem (here, many badges are still screwed on not glued on).

And about stolen cars: car thieves here seem to care more for cars with high-end badging. So another reason for getting rid of those badges.

Another reason why many people here (including myself and many people I know) debadge their cars is the "destruction because of envy" factor. Believe me there are lots of annoyed people out there who see a car with high-end badging and go like "hey, I can't afford a BMW 750, why should that owner enjoy his/her car", take out a sharp metal object and leave some "nice" scratches over hood, doors etc. Like so:

With a debadged car at least these people don't know when you've got the top engine under the hood. Might stop some of them.

And then there is the factor that mattered to me the most: it makes cleaning the car easier, and rust is less of a problem (here, many badges are still screwed on not glued on).

And about stolen cars: car thieves here seem to care more for cars with high-end badging. So another reason for getting rid of those badges.

Somehow I don't think anybody outside of Model S owners is going to really see any difference between types of Model S's. They'll have the same reaction to all of them.

View attachment 17173

I saw the most disgusting thing yesterday, in Half Moon Bay, a white Model S parked and someone had painted a red Nazi symbol on the hood. I felt soo bad for the owner. Hopefully it was just lipstick and easy removable.

Who does something like that! Didn't expect that, especially not in California...