Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Classic faster after 6.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite, the P85+ has the staggered fatter tires in the back. This gives it better traction as well as slightly better acceleration.

That's a common misconception, but I don't want to start a debate... Overall, larger tires gives better cornering performance but no gain in straight line traction. Among tires of the same type and composition, there is no appreciable difference in 'traction' with different widths.

Laughing at myself as I type this, but I also feel that my P85+ (19" wheels) is not only slightly quicker, but smoother on acceleration than before. After update to .153. Absolutely no data to base that on, unfortunately.

That's a common misconception, but I don't want to start a debate... Overall, larger tires gives better cornering performance but no gain in straight line traction. Among tires of the same type and composition, there is no appreciable difference in 'traction' with different widths.
But they are not the same type and composition. The P85 was delivered w/ Continental DW's and the P85+ was delivered w/ stickier Michelin Pilots. So a stock P85+ can accelerate faster than a stock P85 due to stickier tires.

I have equipment to test 0-60 on my old P85 6.1, and again after upgrading, but it's pretty useless since it's nearly impossible to launch it while maintaining grip :(

I have only had launches with full grip happen a few times, all in the summer time on brand new tarmac.
Have had 2 different sets of tires on it.

My P85D is a completely different story :love:

I have seen that video and trust me, if the P85D is capable of pulling away from the P85/P85+ thats cool, but it feels exactly the same to me and I have had a P85 and now have a P85D, and am driving a P85+ right now. In fact, the P85+ has a stronger "kick" when stabbing the throttle at a roll to me - maybe its the rear motor pushing and the P85D's front motor has more of a pull, taking away the kick- but believe me, the only time the P85D feels faster is from a stop thanks to AWD and more torque at 0 - 30 MPH.

I cannot get my rears to spin like i used to anymore, even with TC off
These 285s are just sooo grippy

I have 285 PSS too but I can still spin at 47-50 mph but it is chilly out today and my tires have ~3k miles on them. from a dead stop no way I can floor it without slip unless I'm on fresh asphalt and I am pretty sure the last update did remap throttle a little + feels a tiny quicker after 40 mph to me, can't tell below because I just slide. the 'kick' at 50mph felt a bit stronger...street legal drags on Saturday. will find out soon

Best I've seen so far with the API is 336kW... But still on my winter tires, TC still active, hence the rolling start... I just put my summer tires (19" Michelin Primacy) this morning. I need to check back the peak power with 6.2 later.

336kW_trip_id_5507.png

*336kW is 450hp

Vehicle Dynamics

The vehicle dynamics of the P85D vs. P85+ might be similar to the comparison of these cars, as the 918 has the electric front axle, like the P85D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnTZKvX5jg&feature=youtu.be

It is a 21 minute u-tube, and while the P1 has more horsepower than a P85, or a P85+, the drivers comments about handling stability and the ultimate result, that the one of them is superior in track times, speaks to the vehicle dynamics at play between the P85D and its previous editions.

I found the tire dynamics really interesting in some of the videos. Bet you did not realize how much a tire moves across the rim at speeds while cornering....

Enjoy, and be careful out there,

Best I've seen so far with the API is 336kW... But still on my winter tires, TC still active, hence the rolling start... I just put my summer tires (19" Michelin Primacy) this morning. I need to check back the peak power with 6.2 later.

*336kW is 450hp

Huh, brianman saw ~365 kW peak on his Sig P85 and that was ages ago on like 4.x. Maybe the inverter efficiency has been improved?

Also, 336 kW = 450 hp assumes 100% efficiency from battery pack to motor with no losses.