Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are different limits for 3, 10 or continuous. The numbers you have quoted (1520amps is the 10 second limit)

Would be happy to investigate, however there appears to be no evidence whatsoever that this is actually the case. There are no values on the CAN bus that correspond to any alternate current limits. Not sure where you're getting this information, but I would gladly look into it if you had any specifics. As I said, I've deciphered the vast majority of CAN3, including 100% of the messages from the BMS and drive units. A bit of proof is that I was able to write a full emulator for the front drive unit to use for this project (P85++)... The emulation is good enough that it even makes it through a firmware redeploy without a problem. So, if there is something on the CAN bus that somehow I've missed at this point I've love to know about it. But, it seems very unlikely.

Would be happy to investigate, however there appears to be no evidence whatsoever that this is actually the case. There are no values on the CAN bus that correspond to any alternate current limits. Not sure where you're getting this information, but I would gladly look into it if you had any specifics. As I said, I've deciphered the vast majority of CAN3, including 100% of the messages from the BMS and drive units. A bit of proof is that I was able to write a full emulator for the front drive unit to use for this project (P85++)... The emulation is good enough that it even makes it through a firmware redeploy without a problem. So, if there is something on the CAN bus that somehow I've missed at this point I've love to know about it. But, it seems very unlikely.
INfo is from my early 2012 SIgnature car that had a seperate message for over-current for 3 seconds
This is not my first time to the rodeo I have taken Tesla drive units and put them into several cars including my own personal daily driver (2012 Fisker Karma). The firmware limits have an over-current threshold of 15-25% for 3 second burst.

So... how do we make my 75D faster? :)

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
INfo is from my early 2012 SIgnature car that had a seperate message for over-current for 3 seconds
This is not my first time to the rodeo I have taken Tesla drive units and put them into several cars including my own personal daily driver (2012 Fisker Karma). The firmware limits have an over-current threshold of 15-25% for 3 second burst.

I smell an interesting collaboration ... please continue !

I can't speak to older firmwares, however this definitely is not in any firmware released in the last two years or so.

Also, the Tesla->Fisker transplant is pretty cool, however that appeared to be a full transplant of the motor and all related Tesla components as far as I can tell. Essentially a Tesla in Fisker clothing. It doesn't appear that particular conversion is actually controlling the inverter directly with something custom vs just letting Tesla's software do it. Impressive build regardless.

Jason, first of all, this is awesome.

You might consider speaking with Tesla about doing either an in-house tuner/custom program (think AMG for Mercedes, for instance), or about being an "outside" tuner/custom with a degree of unofficial factory support. In fact, the second could lead to the first.

In the first case, Tesla could earn some additional margin and burnish their brand a bit at the high end.

Reactions: Drucifer
I can't speak to older firmwares, however this definitely is not in any firmware released in the last two years or so.

Also, the Tesla->Fisker transplant is pretty cool, however that appeared to be a full transplant of the motor and all related Tesla components as far as I can tell. Essentially a Tesla in Fisker clothing. It doesn't appear that particular conversion is actually controlling the inverter directly with something custom vs just letting Tesla's software do it. Impressive build regardless.
We actually created a gateway module to handle the conversion. It is a 4 Ch unit where we essentially "gate" Fisker specific messages and translate them to Tesla specific messages (similar to what you are doing). We still use the stock HCU because a lot of the convenience features are controlled by that unit. They use a Motohawk unit that is commercially available along with SDK (although it is single processor and kind of wonky to get torque security to work).

I never allowed the car to update, after it was reported in early 2013 than the 3500 trick was removed to access the secret menus ( took out the SIM and my car never had WIFI enabled). I figured from that point forward Tesla was going to start removing features from the vehicle.

I have a hardware solution for no-nags AP1 in the works, but unsure if it will be a public offering or not yet.

Not this:

hqdefault.jpg

right? :p

I have a hardware solution for no-nags AP1 in the works, but unsure if it will be a public offering or not yet.

Not this:

hqdefault.jpg

Please give Jason the credit and respect he deserves. He would never design something like what's in that picture!

(If Jason was going to go that route, you know full well there would be a 3D printed, sophisticated can holder, and not simply tape!) :)

Damn right. :p

But yeah, its not that. Nothing to do with weight on the wheel. :)
BTW, do you have access to a 3D printer? I'm running out of things to print so if you need something fabbed, get me an STL file or similar.

I can only print so many T-Rex shower heads before my office just starts to look weird.....

IMG_20170107_094159.jpg

BTW, do you have access to a 3D printer? I'm running out of things to print so if you need something fabbed, get me an STL file or similar.

I can only print so many T-Rex shower heads before my office just starts to look weird.....

View attachment 211178

I know a friend who would love getting one of those! If you do decide to print up more, message me!