Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this thread is exclusive for P85+. I have 21" rotatable tires on my p85 and wondering when time comes to change my tires (very soon based on my messed up wheel alignments) I can change to 19" like all of you.
Simply changing to 19" will keep the wheel alignment stable? Why 21" wheel alignment is messed up by Tesla? I am going to service center for alignment next week and I hope they will give me some answers.
Tesla wheel alignment.jpg2.png

@100thMonkey - Did you buy a set of these yet? TPMS?

I am seriously considering this route too - primarily for the noise benefit. I can always put the 21s back on if there's any real world issue, but I cannot see what it might be.

Yes, from Tire Rack and the TPMS they install is the same as Tesla OEM according to them. I did have to have them synched at a SC, which was super simple.

I know this thread is exclusive for P85+. I have 21" rotatable tires on my p85 and wondering when time comes to change my tires (very soon based on my messed up wheel alignments) I can change to 19" like all of you.
Simply changing to 19" will keep the wheel alignment stable? Why 21" wheel alignment is messed up by Tesla? I am going to service center for alignment next week and I hope they will give me some answers. ...

19's should be fine for you. there are folks on here that can explain this better but I'll sum up what I've gathered from reading as best I can. Negative camber (tilting inward), typical of performance cars for better traction upon accelaration (they lay flat at peak acceleration... if I have it correct), leads to inside tire wear... this is not an alignment error, this is on purpose. the wider the tire, the greater the wear is going to be because the wear angle increases with width and the tire wall conformity to the road diminishes... and the softer the tire, the faster the wear will occur. higher performance = softer, shorter life tires. With the 21's you are limited in your options since it's a less common tire size and is generally associated only with performance vehicles... so far, no one makes an all season for it, though that may change as the number increase enough to create a large enough market for the tire industry to respond with offerings. The Tesla S, particularly the performance and + version seems to have a common issue in addition to what is typical of performance tires and negative camber. the cars are coming out of the hatchery with alignment issues and/or the rear alignment is going out (toe out), due to some kind of engineering issue (I suspect the extreme torque is leading to fatiguing or lets hope, breaking in of the eccentric cam). more recently, people are comparing notes here on line and noticing that alignment may be more the culprit to short tire life than negative camber... so far, Tesla seems to be blaming almost all the issue on negative camber but fixing alignment free of charge. Tesla OEM tires have no warranty... third party do.

going with 19's won't stabilize the alignment exactly, but narrower tires with more side wall with harder rubber (all season) will likely be more conforming to the road (lay flatter) and last a lot longer. In any case, staying on top of alignment early on can save you a ton in tires, though we have yet to see how often the wheels will need aligning... I suspect a few times over the first 10-20K. It might be that Tesla identifies the culprit for this aspect of the tire wear and offers a solution but it appears more of us need to speak up if it's going to get acknowledged as manufacturing issue.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-tire-wear-post-mortem.html

Last edited:
100thMonkey, You are the most experienced in this matter. Would you recommend me to get 20" wheels over 19"?? The 19" wheels you listed on tire rack are on back order.

I'm no expert, just trying to pass on my take on this and it's a work in progress and anything you read on an internet forum should be taken with a grain of salt as mostly just someone's opinion, requiring your own final judgement. Lolachamcars is way more knowledgeable. Last I checked, the standard Tesla 19's could be had for "cheap", relatively anyway. you might check with a local SC to see if you can get them to help tide you over till wheels you like are available or look for them used. I can't really comment on going with 20's vs 19's, I suspect the wheel and tire options are still more limited in general with 20" wheels. perhaps someone else can comment.

Hi, sorry for reviving old thread. I'm about to order and considering P85+, but my parking resrrictions only allows 19 with the default 8J wheel. Anything wider than that won't fit.

That said would it be overkill to purchase P85+ AND 19 set, swap wheels and sell staggered 21s? Those with P85+ on 19 tires already, how's the performance and ride so far?
Any input, suggestions are welcome. BTW P85+ costs about $7.1K.

Hi, sorry for reviving old thread. I'm about to order and considering P85+, but my parking resrrictions only allows 19 with the default 8J wheel. Anything wider than that won't fit.

That said would it be overkill to purchase P85+ AND 19 set, swap wheels and sell staggered 21s? Those with P85+ on 19 tires already, how's the performance and ride so far?
Any input, suggestions are welcome. BTW P85+ costs about $7.1K.

Parking restrictions on wheel size?? Never heard of such a thing...

That $7.1k doesn't include the required 21" tires should up the cost of the option past $11k... I have a hard time believing that just a suspension upgrade is worth paying a whopping $11k extra for.

Hi, yobigd20:

Yeah, Japan thing. I guess Tesla didn't research Japanese market very well, but we are a smaller market so...

Any way to reduce the width, tire-to-tire? - Page 2

Here's my current parking with my car parked. With Model S with 19, I'll get approx 0.2 inch on both sides so I can park :) Tried 21s, it didn't fit. Tire to tire width was 191cm on 19s and 194cm on 21s. I'm guessing that P85+ with 19s will have the same 191cm. If not (=wider), I'll go P85 with 19s.

Hi, yobigd20:

Yeah, Japan thing. I guess Tesla didn't research Japanese market very well, but we are a smaller market so...

Any way to reduce the width, tire-to-tire? - Page 2

Here's my current parking with my car parked. With Model S with 19, I'll get approx 0.2 inch on both sides so I can park :) Tried 21s, it didn't fit. Tire to tire width was 191cm on 19s and 194cm on 21s. I'm guessing that P85+ with 19s will have the same 191cm. If not (=wider), I'll go P85 with 19s.

Is that an automated parking system? Very interesting. I've never actually seen one in the U.S. yet. Actually I think there is one in Philadelphia. I'm sure their around, but pretty rare.

Anyway, I drive a P85 (non-plus) w\ the OEM 19" goodyears. These done have enough grip for full acceleration. They always slip and TC kicks on. Still fast as hell though. I didn't want to get the 21s due to their low profile and high tenancy to blow out on US roads (potholes).

BUT I do plan on replacing with 20s. Though I'm going to go wider...that doesn't mean you have to. You could always get the P85+ and then get 20s put on and just not go wide in the rear.

Hi, yobigd20:
Yes it's automated. Pretty common for Tokyo metropolitan area condos and office buildings. To park, you push your 4-digit passcode, an empty tray is retrieved, and the gate opens. Pull forward onto the tray and turn off the parking system. Then the door closes. To retrieve the car, push the passcode, the tray with your car is retrieved and the door opens. It takes up to 2.5 minutes one way.

There are more advanced mechanical parkings like this (somebody shot this video with onboard dashcam):
Roppongi Hills Car Parking [solid parking area] - YouTube
It is P1 parking at Roppongi Hills office and shopping complex. They have P1 thru P12 :)

Checked P85+ with 19 wheels with my condo parking, and the tires were too wide to fit! So...

P85 with 19 = half inch available on each side
P85 with 21 = both wheels hit the frame of the parking tray
P85+ with 19 = one wheel ok, the tire on the other side rear was rubbing the frame.

So I guess due to subtle alignment difference, P85+ with 19 is slightly, probably half inch wider than P85 with 19. For me , no more P85+. Will order P85 with 19.

Checked P85+ with 19 wheels with my condo parking, and the tires were too wide to fit!

So I guess due to subtle alignment difference, P85+ with 19 is slightly, probably half inch wider than P85 with 19. For me , no more P85+. Will order P85 with 19.

Sorry to hear the P85+ is no longer an option for you! :crying:

Interesting about it being slightly wider, though.

Like you, I thought it would be the same as a standard P85.

I'll reiterate what I've concluded on other threads. Other than the super sexy way they look, I'm generally disappointing with the 21" wheel/tire combo. the list has grown long: they are so prone to curbing that even the best efforts, even with alloygators, results in frequent scuffs if anyone but me is driving and from what I hear on line, they are prone to catastrophic failure due to pot holes and such. On top of that the suspension and alignment results in a veritable cheese grater on wheels. If you go with the 21's, expect crazy frequent replacement even with moderate driving and don't forget, it's an expensive barrel of oil per tire you are adding to your consumer foot print. On the P+, they are loud, as in super loud on anything but smooth surfaces and that gets worse as it gets colder. Even with moderate cold and a little rain, the performance plummets to worse than all season by a long shot (especially bad on the P85, leading to a very squarely back end fishtail sensation even with moderate acceleration in cold and damp). Even in the warmer dryer times, the tires have to be allowed to warm up for 10+ miles before you can expect them to have good traction, I'm told that's true of all performance tires. Also they are less conforming, hence the cheese grater effect on the rear insides due to increased negative camber as well as what appears to be a toe out that occurs for many as the back end "breaks in" initially from all that luscious torque (though I hear the initial acceleration torque has been limited with 5.8, presumably for that reason).

I can't say enough about Tire Rack, the guy who owns it owns a Tesla S and has put together a very nice 19" package just for the S, you even get the proper lug nuts for the S thrown in for free if you buy a set of four. They send them to your door, mounted, balanced and inflated. 19 Rial Lugano's with Michelin Primacy MXM4 (same tire as Tesla OEM) look better than either Tesla's standard 19's or the turbine 19's and are a fraction of the price and you get a warranty (no warranty on Tesla OEM's!). They are now well proven to be adequate in terms of load/engineering.

My advice, if you live in warmer areas and or love super high performance tires, have at it, go with the 21's and don't feel guilty about feeding your passion. for the rest of us, I'd highly recommend the P85+ and selling the 21's and getting 19's, the ride is better, less noise, the performance is substantially improved over the P85 with 21's, your impact on the environment is reduced and your long term cost of ownership is substantially reduced. for everyone, keep a close eye on the inside rear, get a wear gauge, if you start to see much of any difference, have the alignment checked! I think much of the benefit of the P85+ carries over even when you switch to the 19's at least up north here. for those looking for the optimum performance that you can get with 19' wheels and an almost as sexy look, the P85+ with Lugano 19's http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand is awesome, especially if you live up north where it gets wetter and colder much of the year. I'm liking the prospect of having one set of tires, no seasonal switching hassle and having them wear evenly and last 25K+ miles. It took a while but I think I've found the sweet spot, at least for me.

I wanted to comment on this thread and thought (even though this particular post was done last December) I'd reference the particular subject that I wanted to bring up.

Since you brought up the aspect of replacing the 21' with the 19's on the P85+ I have a question on recent developements.

I have heard recently that 2 suspension aspects of the P85+ (I think they are on the P85+ from what I understand) are being used on the P85. The 2 changes are new subframe bushings and new control arm bushings (referenced from Lolachampcar in another post). I'm wondering if I got the current P85 with these new changes that it would make it close to the P85+ enough that it would satisfy me, but maybe not someone else since they might be looking for more aggressive sport performance.

You can get 19's with the P85 even though you might want to change the all seasons to summer tires. Also I don't know what suspension I should get, coil or air. Since the P85+ comes with air maybe that should be the suspension to get.

I'm ready to order a P85 but the suspension type is my last hard decision. So either a P85 with coil, P85 with air or a P85+.

Can't decide. Still looking for more info on others that may have more experience on the bushing changes on the P85.

I can't answer your questions about the suspension changes so hopefully someone else can.

What I did want to mention was that I was the one who started this thread last year and ended up getting a P85+. I was really worried about tread wear with the 21" rims, but after 7,000 miles I think it has been reasonable and I have not noticed any excessive inside wear. I have been measuring tread wear every ~1,000 miles and will post my findings on another thread. Since tread wear was my main concern for the 21" rims, I think my wear so far (knock on wood) is acceptable.

As far as P85+ handling and comfort, I am really glad I went with the P85+. The car handles extremely well for being such a big car. Most of the time I forget that I am driving a 7 seater. :) I find the suspension to be stiff but not uncomfortable on long trips.

I am going to take a phrase from "Texex91", just get the P85+, you won't regret it!

I am getting pretty even wear (inside / middle / outside) across all of my tires. In fact, the outside appears to be wearing ever so slightly faster than the inside. Overall, the front tires are wearing much slower than the rear. Looks like I will be able to replace the front tires for every other set of rears at this pace.

I need to find a good way to post my data. Once I do, I will add a link in this thread.