Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D 19" tire pressure recommendation is now 50psi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the front motor probably only adds 50-75lbs or so....not enough to justify raising tire pressure so high. I mean honestly adding a passenger to the car adds more weight than the front motor does.

Curb weight of the P85: 4647 lbs
Curb weight of the P85D: 4936 lbs

They both have the same rear drive train, so the front motor + inverter + half shafts + beefed up front crash structure must weigh 289 lbs.

Googling a bit came up with a few interesting hits. Particularly this older thread where these guys run 60-70psi in 44max psi rated tires to get better mpg. Tire pressure above 44 psi? - CleanMPG Forums There was a mention of someone running 120psi and a mention from an engineer that said tires wouldn't spontaneously blow up until well after 200psi. I may go out and pump up my tires to 50psi and see if it makes any difference. It's probably negligible.

Those are typical tire inflation numbers (60 psi in 44 psi rated tires) for the 1st gen Honda Insight. Extensive roll testing (setting tire pressure, starting car on a hill in neutral, seeing how far it rolls, then changing pressure and re-run) was done, and it was found that there was improvement up to 60 psi, then no significant change above that.

The reason for the roll testing is that there are too many factors to eliminate on a hybrid to get an accurate energy usage comparison. I would think that the Tesla, with much better energy usage measurements, would be fairly simple to do some testing to find the optimum inflation pressure.

It will be different for every tire make/wheel size combination -- that is the advantage with the Insight, as there is only one tire to test.

From the discussion in the Firmware 6.2 thread, if you look at my tire tread report, my tires were unevenly worn (inner/outer vs center) after just 5000 miles. This was with pressure set to 45psi. So definitely should be 50psi on the P85D. If pressure is too low, the tire sags and the inner/outer will wear faster than the center.

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

incredulity alarm kicked in here.

If 245/45/19 is 50psi that means that 245/35/21 is going to be more like 56psi.

I dont know of any summer car tyres rated that high.

If an owner inflates to this pressure on a cool morning, then drives hard fully laden on a hot afternoon - that's way into the safety margin of the tyre and any tyre company will disclaim responsibility for failure.
It's not just structural failure here, but susceptability to failure instead of deflation from what would normally be minor damage too.

Somebody needs to get a statement from Tesla for the official position on this.

Also it makes it incredibly important that owners changing tires selects exactly an approved tire and there are a lot of subtle variations of apparently similar tires to the unwary. eg how many owners double check they have the correct load rating on replacment tires. i know I do now, but I have been caught out previously.

Furthermore as a safety concern Tesla S/Cs should be required to check the tires load rating and note it on the service sheet, and inform the owner the vehicle is unsafe where replacement tires are not to correct specification.

I agree. I would like Tesla to issue an official statement on this. Correct pressure is important. Too little: too much heat, flex and wear. Too high and less contact patch. This stuff isn't all that complicated. Not to mention unintended over- or understeer, which could be disasterous. Auto mfrs have been rating correct pressures for years.

incredulity alarm kicked in here.

If 245/45/19 is 50psi that means that 245/35/21 is going to be more like 56psi.

I dont know of any summer car tyres rated that high.

If an owner inflates to this pressure on a cool morning, then drives hard fully laden on a hot afternoon - that's way into the safety margin of the tyre and any tyre company will disclaim responsibility for failure.
It's not just structural failure here, but susceptability to failure instead of deflation from what would normally be minor damage too.

Somebody needs to get a statement from Tesla for the official position on this.

Also it makes it incredibly important that owners changing tires selects exactly an approved tire and there are a lot of subtle variations of apparently similar tires to the unwary. eg how many owners double check they have the correct load rating on replacment tires. i know I do now, but I have been caught out previously.

Furthermore as a safety concern Tesla S/Cs should be required to check the tires load rating and note it on the service sheet, and inform the owner the vehicle is unsafe where replacement tires are not to correct specification.