Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Hypothetical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant that the P85D does not have a larger rear motor than an 85D. (In the context of the question).

Tesla makes two motors - a 220hp small and and a 480hp larger unit.

Here is the breakdown of which car has which motors.

40 / 60 / 70 / 75 / 85 - large motor rear
P85 - large motor rear
85D / 90D / 70D / 60D - small motor rear, small motor front.
P85D / P90D - large motor rear, small motor front

At one time, P85 and the 85 had different inverters in the rear motor, leading to the significant performance difference. I doubt that that is the case any more. So that leads to the obvious question about whether the current 60/75s could provide a lot more performance than they presently do, but for software limits? It could well be that the new 60 / 75 is capable of near P85 level performance.

The smaller pack has fewer modules than the larger pack. The smallest unit in the pack is a string of 6 cells in series which is 22.2V. Both packs put a bunch of these in parallel. The large pack has 74 strings, and the small pack has fewer (the exact number escapes me at the moment). To get the full pack, the large pack has 16 modules in series for a total of 355.2V. The smaller pack only has 14 for 310.8V.

There are rumors the small pack changed layouts from the original 60 to the 70 and 75, but the math works correctly for the same layout.

So the smaller packs today have more overall energy, but with the lower voltage, they can't deliver as much energy to the wheels as fast as the larger pack can.

wk057 has said he took a salvage original 60, put an 85 KWh pack in it, then made a setting change in the firmware and it did turn the car into a P85. Apparently the only difference between the P85 and 85 was the software switch.