Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed it twice. I got the email this morning and went to check and see if my credit card had been charged but it hadn't so I assume the order got dropped some how. So I placed it again. Then I got a confirmation email and realized that I had last week too. So emailed them and they emailed me back to tell me my second order would be canceled.

Sounds like another tracking item.

I received the e-mail today finally, so I have 'officially' put my $500 down.

I am sure they are using the pre-order to determine exact demand by location so they only have to train a small portion of their service center mechanics/technicians on the actual upgrade process. My non-scientific guess would be that demand will be based on where they sold the cars, but hopefully enough South Florida P85D owners are signing up for Dania Beach so we don't have to go anywhere else.
I paid my deposit yesterday and chose Dania Beach. I live in Naples but will be on the East Coast twice in December so hope I can get it done then.

AHHHH You are right things do change often.

When I purchased the pre-order upgrade, the page never broke down the $7500 cost. Now it does - $5000 for Parts and $2500 for Labor totaling $7500.

After looking at it closer they decided to add this paragraph.

"Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents an estimate 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D and provides for a 0.2 second improvement over your current vehicle performance. (The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D.)"

Untitled.jpg

Official price for the upgrade now given in Norway. 81450NOK. Upgrade to Ludicrous on a new P90D is 76000NOK....

In USD the price is actually 9575USD according to google at this very moment.

So much for the "discount" for old customers:confused::crying:

Not even remotely considering this anymore.

What are they smoking these days?

Official price for the upgrade now given in Norway. 81450NOK. Upgrade to Ludicrous on a new P90D is 76000NOK....

In USD the price is actually 9575USD according to google at this very moment.

So much for the "discount" for old customers:confused::crying:

Not even remotely considering this anymore.

What are they smoking these days?

Is this because of the unusual tax treatment of EVs in Norway? E.g. the car has a very favourable import tax, but the parts get taxed if imported on their own?

In the UK Ludicrous is £8300 in the design studio and the retrofit is £6300 including labour (which is pretty much the same ratio as the US with $10k / $7.5k).

Is this because of the unusual tax treatment of EVs in Norway? E.g. the car has a very favourable import tax, but the parts get taxed if imported on their own?

In the UK Ludicrous is £8300 in the design studio and the retrofit is £6300 including labour (which is pretty much the same ratio as the US with $10k / $7.5k).
Yes you are correct. When doing the numbers its more or less 1:1 with 7500USD plus norwegian sales tax on both parts and labor. So I am a bit less annoyed at Tesla I have to admit when figuring this in.

BUT, it doesn't change the fact that the "discounted" price is still higher than what you would have to pay for the upgrade on a new car here in Norway.. I assume the same would be the case in other countries as well.

I get Tesla not thinking of this when making the announcements, but makes no difference for us here. Its still way to expensive for my personal taste at least. Especially with the new wording on the actual effect of the upgrade now in place.

It's a good thing that Tesla is being more honest about performance.

+1, also glad they're in front, at the moment of a financial commitment. We're already looking at hundredths. Start at 3.1, or 3.05 P85D, and P90D itself hasn't shown a full .3 second delta, yet. But, I guess another way of looking at it is if <=.3 seconds in the P90D is worth it, the P85D upgrade is only a small fraction behind.

I can't imagine the 1/4 mile time won't be the more impressive change. The decision is more about rolling/highway speed changes. Dropping "half a second", in the quarter mile has a more usable ring to it, than ".2 seconds in the 0-60". Just how I'd look at it, and would guess it will perform in the quarter. All that extra speed, once at 60mph, is paying a dividend across the last 7-8 seconds of the quarter, and we know the 60-100 improvement is also on offer.

AHHHH You are right things do change often.

When I purchased the pre-order upgrade, the page never broke down the $7500 cost. Now it does - $5000 for Parts and $2500 for Labor totaling $7500.

After looking at it closer they decided to add this paragraph.

"Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents an estimate 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D and provides for a 0.2 second improvement over your current vehicle performance. (The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D.)"

Thanks for the heads-up!!

Hmm, 10% increase in power only? I thought the upgrade increased maximum current output of the battery pack from 1300A to 1500A, which is more like 15%. Why the difference?

darthy,
Less so but will do my homework before making a decision. My impressions driving the P90DL were that acceleration in the 30-100 range was significantly improved to the point of being worth somewhere around $10K (sitting on my wallet and having done expensive ICE upgrades in the past... others will feel differently). The key for me is how the Tesla did the extra 5 kw-hrs. If they paralleled in the new cells, the difference from 85 to 90 should not be that big a deal while changing the overall pack voltage by changing the series arrangement would increase pack voltage and likely make a much bigger difference. The only way to know is to see how the cars do in the wild side by side. If the P85DL is close to the 90DL then yes.

For the record, I did not believe Tesla when they said that AWD would not have a range penalty. I got a P85D from the service center overnight and drove known routes to learn that it is down 15% from my previous P+ then purchased with this knowledge. I did not for a minute feel Tesla tried to pull one over on me. I'll do the same for the field P85DL and may have to give up the $500 deposit (known not to be refundable when I placed it) if I pass.

Vip,
No idea apart from a .3 change 0-60 can be doubled to a .6 change 1/4 mile so maybe 11.2 (?????). That is purely a wag on my part which is why I defer to Fiks and the drag times brethren. They are hyper critical on the accuracy and repeatability of their performance numbers (they do so much more than just Tesla stuff and I have found I can rely on their work) and will seek out every bit of performance info available. They also have a deep well of owner resources to get their hands on the latest items shipping which means we will see the results shortly after Tesla starts doing the upgrades.

tstafford,
Yea, a bit but then we are talking being bummed about not being able to spend $7500 to make our +$100K car go faster. I'm not sure I can really complain about that one, at least not in public without being totally embarrassed for being a spoiled brat.

What do you predict the P85DL will do in the quarter mile?
Wonder if waiting for a bigger battery is better.

This is a very good point you are making. I wish Tesla would give more info about this so that we indeed know if this is a real option. In that case I would not upgrade to ludicrous now, accept the "current" limitations of the 85 kWh battery and look forward to upgrading to a new battery in a couple of years.

Waiting for a bigger battery is always better. Take the Microsoft Office approach, upgrade on the 3rd swing. Skip the 90 and the 95, wait until 100.

What's unclear is that, during the conf call, Elon said that we had a window of 6 months to decide to upgrade to ludicrous or not. If we wait for a better battery, we might no longer have the option to also upgrade to ludicrous.

Does anyone know if all 90 kWh batteries contain Inconel contactors and an electronic fuse? If this is the case, activating ludicrous in such a setup is nothing more than a software update.