Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Max Power Mode??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D with insane mode now has max battery power option with version 7.0 software

will test later to see if it's quicker/faster....

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 262
Nice!
Someone on the Tesla Forums posted about this as well... they were saying it felt faster.
Big news for sure... lets hope it translates into something quicker.

OT- FIKSEGTS I remember you from the GTR forums (NAGTROC) from when I was looking into getting one. Thanks for the class and great info you share with the rest of us car buffs!

Last edited:
Nice!
Someone on the Tesla Forums posted about this as well... they were saying it felt faster.
Big news for sure... lets hope it translates into something quicker.

OT- I remember you from the GTR forums from when I was looking into getting one. Thanks for the class and great info you share with the rest of us car buffs!

I'm confused why they added this for the P85D when the current fuse is the limiting factor. Even cold, the battery is able to draw it's maximum 414KW. I could understand with the 1500 amp fuse that warming up the cells will allow more current but even on P90D+Ls, the REST reports don't show an increase over 456KW with max mode ready or not ready.....unless there was a post with more data that I haven't seen.

Just asking.....

I'm confused why they added this for the P85D when the current fuse is the limiting factor. Even cold, the battery is able to draw it's maximum 414KW. I could understand with the 1500 amp fuse that warming up the cells will allow more current but even on P90D+Ls, the REST reports don't show an increase over 456KW with max mode ready or not ready.....unless there was a post with more data that I haven't seen.

Just asking.....

There was a post of a letter or email that someone had received in here awhile back indicating that all "P" versions would get the max battery option.

Why hey it's there though, or what it's supposed to do or if it makes any difference, I don't know.

Perhaps internal resistance or voltage sag under load is affected by temperature, and Max Performance attempts to condition the battery to the optimal temp.

That is true but my point is that even on a cold battery I'm able to draw enough current to max out the fuse.

Can't wait for someone to do some runs with and without max power at the same SOC and log the REST power to see if there's any difference.

That is true but my point is that even on a cold battery I'm able to draw enough current to max out the fuse.

Current is only one part of the equation. What you actually want is not current, it's power. Power is current multiplied by voltage. Under load, the voltage drops because of the internal resistance of the battery. A warm battery has less resistance, hence the voltage drops less, hence more power, even if the current is still limited by the fuse to 1300A.

Current is only one part of the equation. What you actually want is not current, it's power. Power is current multiplied by voltage. Under load, the voltage drops because of the internal resistance of the battery. A warm battery has less resistance, hence the voltage drops less, hence more power, even if the current is still limited by the fuse to 1300A.

The internal resistance of the battery actually increases with the temperature increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Just asking.....

The power that can be drawn from the battery is linked to the speed of chemical reaction that produces current. I am pretty sure that for all batteries, including Li Ion, the speed of chemical reaction increases, up to a certain point, with the increase of the temperature. Another factor is that internal resistance also increases with the increase in temperature, so at certain point one negates another, so the power out of the battery increases with the temperature up to a given value of temperature.

I did not spend time reviewing the API data, but you might want to take another look at the data: either your recollection is off, or may be the data are not accurate.

The modeling of the battery under various conditions, including ambient temperature, state of charge, age *and* prior loading cycle, I believe, is a very complex task. I've used google search and skimmed through several scientific articles. It seems that there are various models available, each of them successful in modeling of real life behavior of the batteries to the various degree.

The fuse is limited to current, not power. 1300A * 320 V = 416KW which is just about what we see already on a => 90% SOC.

My point is if the max mode makes any difference, we should see more power due to less voltage drop or higher current but we already know the current fuse is maxed out so it would have to be to less voltage drop. If the latter, then we'd see higher than 415KW already when the battery is hot enough to have to kick in full time cooling but we never see that.

So I'm curious to see if anyone sees higher than 415KW on their P85D with max battery turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

The internal resistance of the battery actually increases with the temperature increase.

- - - Updated - - -

The power that can be drawn from the battery is linked to the speed of chemical reaction that produces current. I am pretty sure that for all batteries, including Li Ion, the speed of chemical reaction increases, up to a certain point, with the increase of the temperature. Another factor is that internal resistance also increases with the increase in temperature, so at certain point one negates another, so the power out of the battery increases with the temperature up to a given value of temperature.

I did not spend time reviewing the API data, but you might want to take another look at the data: either your recollection is off, or may be the data are not accurate.

The modeling of the battery under various conditions, including ambient temperature, state of charge, age *and* prior loading cycle, I believe, is a very complex task. I've used google search and skimmed through several scientific articles. It seems that there are various models available, each of them successful in modeling of real life behavior of the batteries to the various degree.

That's interesting. I didn't know IR increases with temperature. I always thought it was just the opposite.

Last edited:
The fuse is limited to current, not power. 1300A * 320 V = 416KW which is just about what we see already on a => 90% SOC.

My point is if the max mode makes any difference, we should see more power due to less voltage drop or higher current but we already know the current fuse is maxed out so it would have to be to less voltage drop. If the latter, then we'd see higher than 415KW already when the battery is hot enough to have to kick in full time cooling but we never see that.

So I'm curious to see if anyone sees higher than 415KW on their P85D with max battery turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

That's interesting. I didn't know IR increases with temperature. I always thought it was just the opposite.

Google the following article "Internal Resistance of lithium battery modules with FreedomCar model" published in World Electric Vehicle Journal, and read through section 5 for more details on this.