Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Question??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally pulled the trigger earlier this week and made a deposit on a late CPO 2014 P85D. I was told that the anticipated delivery date is by the end of the month. Based on some of the horrific delivery stories on this forum, receiving my vehicle this month seem very far fetched. Especially since the vehicle is in CA and I'm located in IL. Only way that this may be possible is if Tesla is trying to hit their Q4 numbers/deliveries.

My question....Do all P85D's (specifically late 2014 models) have Insane/Ludicrous Mode? A few of the threads mentions this function as an upgrade.

Also, my accounts states that my DS will contact me to discuss delivery and final payment options. Based on your experience, what is the typical time frame regarding delivery for a CPO INVENTORY Purchase?

Thanks - Steven

P85D came standard with Insane. Ludicrous was offered as a $5K retrofit to anyone who ordered prior to 11/2015. The upgrade was fairly involved including changing out some parts in the main battery (so people were asked to arrive with less than 25% battery left, or else they would have to leave the car with the heat on for hours until it drained). While it was supposed to be a limited time offer limited to original owners, Tesla did the upgrades for well over a year and half and allowed second owners sometimes. That said, the upgrade appears to be no longer offered - it disappeared from online store plus there was a thread here on TMC recently stating that someone scheduled one only to find out that the parts can no longer be ordered so the SC was unable to perform it.

Bottom line, if the car had the upgrade done by previous owner, it may have it. If not, then Insane only. There is a third possibility, the car had the upgrade but Tesla removed it in software as part of CPO preparation. Apparently people who track CPO's have noticed some cars with Ludicrous upgrade show up as CPO without Ludicrous upgrade listed. None of the 5 currently listed P85D CPOs show Ludicrous in the included options. If the car has it, you will see the underline on the instrument cluster and about screen on the IVI screen, plus you will see "Ludicrous" con the the options screen.

So I finally pulled the trigger earlier this week and made a deposit on a late CPO 2014 P85D.

Congrats!

Chances are your P85D has the Performance + suspension from the P85+.

Some of us believe the P85D(+) the best car ever made by Tesla. Dual motors, AP1, Next Gen seats (including rear next-gen seats), and the P+ suspension which hasn't been available since April, 2015.

I know I'll be keeping mine until either (a) Tesla offers the P+ suspension again in new cars, or (2) Tesla offers battery upgrades, or (iii) my warranty runs out and I'll get a third-party to upgrade/install a bigger battery (most likely).

There are two upgrades hat were available to P85D owners.
The Ludicrous option involved an Inconel fuse that used an Inconel alloy developed for SpaceX. The fuse allows far more precise temperature management than the old fuses did. Whether it is worth more now depends on perspective. I did it and was happy to have done it, but I'd not have missed it if I had not known about it.

The other one is more important IMHO and cost less than $500 IIRC. That one upgraded from 3G to LTE and really improved download speeds. That one probably is still available.

I share other opinions about the desirability of late 2014 P85D. I dearly love mine, which was from late December 2014.

Reactions: davidc18
P85D comes standard with insane mode. If I remember correctly, ludicrous wasn't offered until 2015 and an upgrade was available to current P85D owners. Did you not inquire as to the specifications of the vehicle before buying?

I was initially looking for a white 85D but had no luck within the last couple of months finding one with all the features i wanted - so I'm very familiar with the 85D. The P85D comes along, which have every option except the subzero package. In the initial discussion with my Tesla Advisor, she didn't mention insane mode and I guess I was under the impression that this option was only available on the newer models.

Nevertheless, great to hear that my vehicle will be "insane".

Reactions: hpjtv
The Ludicrous option involved an Inconel fuse that used an Inconel alloy developed for SpaceX. The fuse allows far more precise temperature management than the old fuses did. Whether it is worth more now depends on perspective. I did it and was happy to have done it, but I'd not have missed it if I had not known about it.

The other one is more important IMHO and cost less than $500 IIRC. That one upgraded from 3G to LTE and really improved download speeds. That one probably is still available.

I share other opinions about the desirability of late 2014 P85D. I dearly love mine, which was from late December 2014.

Great to hear! I was little hesitant initially due to it being a late December 2014, due to the price point. However, it seems that the P85D's have great resale value, so if i want to trade up after a few years it shouldn't be a problem.

I did inquire about the 3G to LTE upgrade, which I was told is be about $500. This is a must for me.

Congrats!

Chances are your P85D has the Performance + suspension from the P85+.

Some of us believe the P85D(+) the best car ever made by Tesla. Dual motors, AP1, Next Gen seats (including rear next-gen seats), and the P+ suspension which hasn't been available since April, 2015.

I know I'll be keeping mine until either (a) Tesla offers the P+ suspension again in new cars, or (2) Tesla offers battery upgrades, or (iii) my warranty runs out and I'll get a third-party to upgrade/install a bigger battery (most likely).

I'm not familiar of the Performance + suspension. Smart Air Suspension?

I'm not familiar of the Performance + suspension. Smart Air Suspension?

It's a stiffer, more sporty suspension. Think like BMW M cars. A little bumpier on rough roads, but better cornering and road feel overall.

It's separate from the smart air suspension that only changes ride height.

See this thread for lots of details you didn't ask for ;)

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

Most early P85Ds had it, but not all.

Reactions: davidc18
My 2015 P85D with no air suspension is crazy good, same to me as P100D. On Lud upgrade here, service seems to think that the lud will cause some wire or connector issues in the future due to max amps for the upgraded system,( P100D has better cooling), while they told me the insane will not be putting as many amps and will last with no issues. So fast!, never been beat, probably no one quicker in the real world stop light, due to no one uses launch control, they lose about another second. My sport mode will destroy almost anything.
Mine has the Arachnid wheels which are lighter and no sunroof so lighter there also.

Reactions: BrokerDon

Why is everyone so on about the LTE upgrade? I have driven from the east coast to Colorado, hit most of the major cities and logged over 60k cross country miles in my 3 Teslas. I've upgraded one of them from 3G to LTE, I have one with native LTE, and one still on 3G. I have seen exactly zero difference between the three in every part of the country, city, rural, etc... The 3G to LTE upgrade is complete bunk on a Tesla. The computer is so slow in it that any gains you might get from LTE are mitigated by the latency for the MCU.

I ordered a Jan.'15 build CPO P85D on 9/22/17 and took delivery on 11/09. However, it was ready for me on 11/07. Like others said, every P85D came with Insane mode. Previous owner of mine did not upgrade to Ludicrous, but it did have the + suspension.

Why is everyone so on about the LTE upgrade? I have driven from the east coast to Colorado, hit most of the major cities and logged over 60k cross country miles in my 3 Teslas. I've upgraded one of them from 3G to LTE, I have one with native LTE, and one still on 3G. I have seen exactly zero difference between the three in every part of the country, city, rural, etc... The 3G to LTE upgrade is complete bunk on a Tesla. The computer is so slow in it that any gains you might get from LTE are mitigated by the latency for the MCU.
My 2014 S 85 would cut out all the time when driving from Maricopa to Phoenix. It would also cut out a couple of times when driving from Phoenix to Anaheim. Since my LTE upgrade, I have had no more issues. It is a very valuable upgrade in my opinion.

Brent