Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm... so the dash cam accelerometer shows my in-the-rain P85D launch at just over 1G front to back, with a little ~0.3G spike top to bottom when I hit the pedal.

It stayed at around 1G for roughly 2 seconds, then tapered down to ~0.5G from there through 60 MPH, by 95 MPH it was only about 0.25G.

Hm... so the dash cam accelerometer shows my in-the-rain P85D launch at just over 1G front to back, with a little ~0.3G spike top to bottom when I hit the pedal.

It stayed at around 1G for roughly 2 seconds, then tapered down to ~0.5G from there through 60 MPH, by 95 MPH it was only about 0.25G.

Im assuming with a full G the grip was well managed but did you see any affect from the Traction Control taking a hold of torque management?

Im assuming with a full G the grip was well managed but did you see any affect from the Traction Control taking a hold of torque management?

I measured 0.99g starting average on 19's. Interestingly, there is a single sample (17ms) at 1.15g, then it settles down to the 0.99g average. My theory is that the traction control is getting everything it can out of the 19's, slipping slightly, then settling back to the 0.99g without displaying anything to the driver or providing hints of what is going on at a human time scale.

BTW, I just floored the accelerator and the acceleration went from 0 to 0.99g in about 0.1 second; a lot of jerk!

I measured 0.99g starting average on 19's. Interestingly, there is a single sample (17ms) at 1.15g, then it settles down to the 0.99g average. My theory is that the traction control is getting everything it can out of the 19's, slipping slightly, then settling back to the 0.99g without displaying anything to the driver or providing hints of what is going on at a human time scale.

BTW, I just floored the accelerator and the acceleration went from 0 to 0.99g in about 0.1 second; a lot of jerk!

Is your sample rate above 10Hz?

BTW I would assume the torque output of the motor has an artificial ramp in it to keep from destroying the transmission and suspension. Also to prevent concussions.

Is your sample rate above 10Hz?

BTW I would assume the torque output of the motor has an artificial ramp in it to keep from destroying the transmission and suspension. Also to prevent concussions.

I used a sample rate of 60 Hz in "Motion Data Logger" by Jade Mind on the iPhone. Did a hack spreadsheet that averaged a second of motionless data (started the logger more than a second before launch) for the gravity vector, then subtracted that gravity vector from future samples and calculated the magnitude of the difference.

The app will log at up to 100 Hz which I will use in the future.

Did a couple of launches today...

Please excuse my one-handed shaky videos :)

Top one was a hair uphill towards the end, bottom was nearly completely flat road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a test drive today; went down to a private road, stopped for a second, stomped on the accelerator and......my sunglasses flew off my head and landed on the back seat! Oh my gosh!:biggrin:

Yes. I'm having a similar problem. My sunglasses keep flying out of the cubby underneath the center console. Never had this problem on the P85.

My solution for now is to put them in the cupholders under the armrest. Given they don't have spring clips anymore to hold drinks (why did those disappear?), I'm less inclined to use them as holders of cups.

Perhaps we should call these "1.0G problems."

Did a couple of launches today...

Please excuse my one-handed shaky videos :)

Top one was a hair uphill towards the end, bottom was nearly completely flat road.
The narrow coridoor of trees really helps to show the feeling of motion! Just need to get some kind of mount or a go pro. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I've had this problem for 2 years in my P85! Both my glasses case and the J1772 adapter keep flying back. Finally have enough stuff in there so it doesn't happen too often any more.
Yeah my phone used to fly out of the cubby hole on my p85. Had to put it on the console space carpet. My P85D will have a yacht floor so hat probably won't work. Sounds like a sunglass strap might be in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I am trying to discourage others from doing something like this ...
Like the commercials where there's a subtitle "Professional Driver on closed road" .. but this isn't.
It's one thing to floor our own cars, another to have WK057 to potentially encourage others to add their post ...

No, I am trying to discourage others from doing something like this ...
Like the commercials where there's a subtitle "Professional Driver on closed road" .. but this isn't.
It's one thing to floor our own cars, another to have WK057 to potentially encourage others to add their post ...

Where exactly do you think these cars are being driven? Do you think everybody drives the speed limit as well?