Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holding a phone in your hand while doing this?

Can you spell dangerous?

lol.

Pretty sure the dangerous part was not the holding the phone aspect... how about the driving 100 MPH on a 35 MPH back road up towards a curve in the middle of the street with no view of what could be coming around the curve... if you had mentioned that, I'd say yeah, dangerous. ;)

Holding the phone... not so much. Not like I was texting while doing this. Just holding the phone up... obvious by the quality of the shaky video that I was paying attention to the road and not the phone anyway.

In any case, yeah, if you think people are buying these cars and driving them within the scope of what is always safe, then well, you're pretty blind. ;)

Nice vids, regoapps!

Just wondering aloud though if it may be a bit iffy to post videos of such speeds and drag racing on public streets in a semi-anonymous way. There were instances - in Japan, I believe - where law enforcement managed to prosecute after the fact based on such video evidence.

After looking at a few P85D vids and reading more reviews etc. One thing I've noticed that is that the SOC is a big enough factor that when someone tries insane mode in a P85D that has a low charge, they are mildly disappointed and comment that it feels the same as a P85. I know that this advice has been around for quite a while - i.e. if you're taking the Tesla to the track make sure the battery is near 100% but I had not realized the extent of this until recently. In "Tales from the Frunk" he does some rough comparisons between high and low charge vehicles. Today I was watching a YouTube about Insane mode where the passenger said it just seemed like sport mode in the P85. On hearing this I looked at the battery icon on the dash and sure enough it looked to have less than 40% charge.

Nice vids, regoapps!

Just wondering aloud though if it may be a bit iffy to post videos of such speeds and drag racing on public streets in a semi-anonymous way. There were instances - in Japan, I believe - where law enforcement managed to prosecute after the fact based on such video evidence.

It's a risk I take when I post these videos. But I make sure no faces of the drivers are in the video. Could be anyone driving the cars. How do you charge someone with a crime if you don't know who committed it?

I'm guessing that it was around 120 mph when the Ferrari passed. I hit 100 mph maybe 3/4th of the way. Didn't look down at the speedometer to confirm. Kept the eye on the road.

Amazing. Almost bittersweet in a way. The 458 is one of those cars that I lust after. So beautiful but not sure I would buy one after owning the P85D (taking delivery 12/31). Would be very curious to get your thoughts over time owning both the P85D and the Aventador, and whether the performance of the Tesla has any impact on your enjoyment of the Lambo. (And I definitely agree it's like comparing apples to oranges, each car has its own purpose etc etc).

Amazing. Almost bittersweet in a way. The 458 is one of those cars that I lust after. So beautiful but not sure I would buy one after owning the P85D (taking delivery 12/31). Would be very curious to get your thoughts over time owning both the P85D and the Aventador, and whether the performance of the Tesla has any impact on your enjoyment of the Lambo. (And I definitely agree it's like comparing apples to oranges, each car has its own purpose etc etc).

I mentioned in the description of the P85D vs Aventador video that the feelings that the two cars give you are different (Tesla feels like someone is laying flat on you, while the Aventador feels like you're on a boat and bigger fast boat is constantly tugging you forward - because you keep rocking back and forth between gear shifts). Having said that, the 458's acceleration felt slow after being in the Tesla. But the driver did throw it around some corners and that was a kind of fun that you would get from a Go-Kart. The 458 felt like a bigger version of a Go-Kart. The Tesla's acceleration is something that would be hard to match. You won't get that feeling in the 458.

Two noticeable differences.
1) The 458 turned a lot more heads than the Tesla. Tesla can turn heads, but not really as much as a Lamborghini or Ferrari does. You just have to admit that the Ferrari and Lamborghini are better looking cars.
2) The sound... I cannot explain how beautiful the sound of a Lamborghini in a tunnel/parking lot is. That's something I will miss if I'm driving the Tesla. However, I also don't miss that I can't hear my music when I drive the Lamborghini. So there's pros and cons to that.

From a purely performance standpoint, I'd say the Tesla will give you the fun if you like the acceleration. You don't need a Ferrari or Lamborghini for that. But you will miss out on the other two differences I mentioned above. Although, I want to mention that regarding the first difference, the attention does gets old and sometimes annoying after a while.

I mentioned in the description of the P85D vs Aventador video that the feelings that the two cars give you are different (Tesla feels like someone is laying flat on you, while the Aventador feels like you're on a boat and bigger fast boat is constantly tugging you forward - because you keep rocking back and forth between gear shifts). Having said that, the 458's acceleration felt slow after being in the Tesla. But the driver did throw it around some corners and that was a kind of fun that you would get from a Go-Kart. The 458 felt like a bigger version of a Go-Kart. The Tesla's acceleration is something that would be hard to match. You won't get that feeling in the 458.

1) The 458 turned a lot more heads than the Tesla. Tesla can turn heads, but not really as much as a Lamborghini or Ferrari does. You just have to admit that the Ferrari and Lamborghini are better looking cars.
2) The sound... I cannot explain how beautiful the sound of a Lamborghini in a tunnel/parking lot is. That's something I will miss if I'm driving the Tesla. However, I also don't miss that I can't hear my music when I drive the Lamborghini. So there's pros and cons to that.

From a purely performance standpoint, I'd say the Tesla will give you the fun if you like the acceleration. You don't need a Ferrari or Lamborghini for that. But you will miss out on the other two differences I mentioned above. Although, I want to mention that regarding the first difference, the attention does gets old and sometimes annoying after a while.

Id really like to see these comparisons involve the launch control. To be fair, the videos are both a staged pure "ready - set - go" environment. Im curious to see what the performance really looks like against that. To me, that seems a little better of a parallel comparison. For those of you assuming that its an antiquated form of launch (the ICE launch control) - it takes all of a couple of seconds to ready the ICE and that appears to be faster than the staging of the starting line itself. My guess is that the P85D will still get the job done but it would be a lot closer and likely would get passed just after reaching 60, or slightly sooner.

as for the head turning...thats certainly subjective. I had a Ferrari and frankly didn't like the attention that it provided me. The sound though - priceless.

Thanks for the comparison. I get more than enough attention owning and driving the Tesla that I don't think I could handle anything more if I owned a lambo or something like that. I still enjoy people asking me about the car and the million questions after owning the car for almost a year now... Although there are times I have been pushed to the limit. So yeah, I don't think I would want any extra attention haha!

I do agree that both Lambo and Ferrari make very beautiful looking cars! Have always been a fan of their style! :) the Tesla is far more subtle in its grace and beauty.

de82bf7177d34fd6acd8555cb234992b.jpg
I think this was Regoapps a couple of weeks ago in Celebration, parked in front of an office building. Funny enough the car was parked in an EV parking spot exclusive for golf cart type of EVs. Suffice to say I'll be parking there every day very soon, at least until I get my first warning. Parking is crowded in that area many times during the day and I go in and out quite a bit.

de82bf7177d34fd6acd8555cb234992b.jpg
I think this was Regoapps a couple of weeks ago in Celebration, parked in front of an office building. Funny enough the car was parked in an EV parking spot exclusive for golf cart type of EVs. Suffice to say I'll be parking there every day very soon, at least until I get my first warning. Parking is crowded in that area many times during the day and I go in and out quite a bit.

Ah, you spotted me!

Just test drove the P85D and all I could say was 'this is insane!'. Insane mode is definitely well named. After years of driving EVs with around a 4 second 0-60 time you kind of get used to that acceleration but the D really kicks it up a notch. You feel your head buzzing the from forces as you launch. Simply amazing and the fact that they could make this quicker by making the car lighter (many years from now) or maybe with a larger battery pack is shocking.

I got a chance to test drive a P85D yesterday. It was a short drive, 15 minutes, because Tesla is only here with the cars for two days and there was a lot of interest. The rep gave me a choice between a curvy road, or the freeway, and I chose the curvy road. I was blown away by the car.

I've been driving my Tesla Roadster (2.5 model, non-Sport) for just over 3 1/2 years. It's my daily driver summer and winter. So I'm no stranger to electric torque and powerful acceleration. If my Roadster feels like a jet plane when it accelerates, then the P85D feels like a rocket ship. And it took those hard curves like it was glued to the road. My impression was that it handles curves and grips the road better than my Roadster, so when I read the comments above that it's "like it's on rails" I knew it wasn't just my impression, but it really does grip the road better.

It seemed to me that the P85D has less regen than my Roadster, even though we had the S set for maximum regen. The rep said it was because the S is so much heavier. But if those motors can accelerate all that mass quicker than the Roadster, then they could decelerate it quicker also. So I'm going with the idea that it's a choice: Tesla decided that sedan drivers don't want as much regen as sports-car drivers do.

The brakes seemed a bit grabby to me, but that's probably just because of what I'm used to. I definitely feel that the S will stop faster than the Roadster.

The P85D is quicker, has greater range, has stronger braking, than my car, and more luxury features than you can shake a stick at, as well as better safety rating, and yet the list price on the P85D was a little less than the Roadster. How did they manage that?

I'd be envious (and while driving it I was feeling envious) but the S is much too big a car for me. Driving back home in my little Roadster, the envy subsided. The Roadster accelerates plenty quick, is the right size for me, I like the feel and the way it handles and the looks of it. But I'm unimaginably impressed by the P85D. It's got to be the most amazing car on the road. If I had a family, that's the car I'd want. But I won't be placing an order for it today.

I got a chance to test drive a P85D yesterday. It was a short drive, 15 minutes, because Tesla is only here with the cars for two days and there was a lot of interest. The rep gave me a choice between a curvy road, or the freeway, and I chose the curvy road. I was blown away by the car.

I've been driving my Tesla Roadster (2.5 model, non-Sport) for just over 3 1/2 years. It's my daily driver summer and winter. So I'm no stranger to electric torque and powerful acceleration. If my Roadster feels like a jet plane when it accelerates, then the P85D feels like a rocket ship. And it took those hard curves like it was glued to the road. My impression was that it handles curves and grips the road better than my Roadster, so when I read the comments above that it's "like it's on rails" I knew it wasn't just my impression, but it really does grip the road better.

It seemed to me that the P85D has less regen than my Roadster, even though we had the S set for maximum regen. The rep said it was because the S is so much heavier. But if those motors can accelerate all that mass quicker than the Roadster, then they could decelerate it quicker also. So I'm going with the idea that it's a choice: Tesla decided that sedan drivers don't want as much regen as sports-car drivers do.

The brakes seemed a bit grabby to me, but that's probably just because of what I'm used to. I definitely feel that the S will stop faster than the Roadster.

The P85D is quicker, has greater range, has stronger braking, than my car, and more luxury features than you can shake a stick at, as well as better safety rating, and yet the list price on the P85D was a little less than the Roadster. How did they manage that?

I'd be envious (and while driving it I was feeling envious) but the S is much too big a car for me. Driving back home in my little Roadster, the envy subsided. The Roadster accelerates plenty quick, is the right size for me, I like the feel and the way it handles and the looks of it. But I'm unimaginably impressed by the P85D. It's got to be the most amazing car on the road. If I had a family, that's the car I'd want. But I won't be placing an order for it today.

Welcome back to the forum, Daniel. We haven't seen you in a long time.

85D First Impressions

@daniel, I am also a Roadster owner who took a test drive in a P85D for the first time a few weeks ago and I completely agree with your assessment.

However, I am also an S85 owner, so I get to have fun in an S every week as well when my wife and I take it out.

Like you, I prefer small cars. Right now, there is simply nothing like a Roadster! Someday Tesla will build a new Roadster and I predict it will be the best sports car ever made, at any price, but it will start at well under $100K. Until then I'm thrilled to be driving my 1.5. Thank you Elon and Tesla!

p.s. Like you, I am also a hiker and a scuba diver.