Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No pic, but I spotted a brand new black (I think it was black) P85D with 19" Cyclone wheels stuck in traffic on northbound 101 in San Francisco at about the Alameny/Cesar Chavez exit, heading towards downtown. Car looked sparkling clean -- for all I know the owner might have just taken delivery at the Burlingame service center and was on his way home.

Anyone on this board, by chance? If so, congrats on your new car -- you must've ordered right at/after the D event!

I went and sat in a p85d at the Costa mesa Sales/delivery showroom,

The next gen seats are amazing. Even though I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, they were very comfortable and am so happy I ordered them.

As of 4pm I was still in Paint phase, itching to get The car now, my rental suburban is getting annoying

I have real world numbers from driving my P85D. At 90% charge, I only had a 217 mile range.

When I did these 0-80+ launches, I lost 2 miles each time, even though it was less than a mile:

Nice video :biggrin: can't wait for mine to come

A range of 217 with that driving style, that is ok, isn't it? What is the mpg for the Aventador? The real problem isn't the range as much as it is the charging time and charging availability, or??

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and sat in a p85d at the Costa mesa Sales/delivery showroom,

The next gen seats are amazing. Even though I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, they were very comfortable and am so happy I ordered them.

As of 4pm I was still in Paint phase, itching to get The car now, my rental suburban is getting annoying

Glad the seats are comfortable for you after all.

One less thing to worry about !

Nice video :biggrin: can't wait for mine to come

A range of 217 with that driving style, that is ok, isn't it? What is the mpg for the Aventador? The real problem isn't the range as much as it is the charging time and charging availability, or??

Range of 217 at 90% charge with normal driving style. With this driving style, it's about 3 times worse range. Aventador has 12 mpg.

Range of 217 at 90% charge with normal driving style. With this driving style, it's about 3 times worse range. Aventador has 12 mpg.

12 mpg makes my Range Rover look all eco friendly :smile: - still love the Aventador and the color. It's hard to see, but is the Aventador doing +100km/h when it finally catches up with the P85D? I know it started a few meters behind the P85D, but still very respectable for a family saloon.

It would be cool if Tesla introduces their version of 'sleeping cylinders' by 'deactivating' one of the motors when cruising and driving around town and only activating both motors when horsepowers or awd is needed.

Completely out context - One thing I would like on the P85D is a large 0-60 timer on the screen, if I am going to use the all the power I want documentation in form of true 0-60 times :biggrin: It seams like all the timers that have been used so far are having difficulties measuring the initial acceleration, i.e. Tesla Model S P85D Test Drive - OK, Its Awesome! - News From The Frunk Episode 14 - YouTube

12 mpg makes my Range Rover look all eco friendly :smile: - still love the Aventador and the color. It's hard to see, but is the Aventador doing +100km/h when it finally catches up with the P85D? I know it started a few meters behind the P85D, but still very respectable for a family saloon.

It would be cool if Tesla introduces their version of 'sleeping cylinders' by 'deactivating' one of the motors when cruising and driving around town and only activating both motors when horsepowers or awd is needed.

Completely out context - One thing I would like on the P85D is a large 0-60 timer on the screen, if I am going to use the all the power I want documentation in form of true 0-60 times :biggrin: It seams like all the timers that have been used so far are having difficulties measuring the initial acceleration, i.e. Tesla Model S P85D Test Drive - OK, Its Awesome! - News From The Frunk Episode 14 - YouTube

Seems like it's doing nearly 100 MPH.

Aventador over takes at around 80 mph. Was probably going faster by the 40-50 mph area.

I think you're right - even more impressive

Right. I paused it right around when it said 83-84. Assume since its a U.S. car it's displaying mph. At this frame, the tesla was still ahead. Maybe a second or less later the Lambo had caught up and started to pass, so not unreasonable that they hit near 100 mph at that point.

What I'm confused about is that the Lambo is supposed to be faster to 60 but doesn't look like it from this video.

The lights aren't actually flickering. It's an interaction between the shutter speed and the LEDs which actually oscillate very fast. The human eye can't detect it. The camera can.

Actually it's the other way around - the frequency of the LEDs is too high for the 30 fps camera to capture it = similar to the illusion of wheels spinning backwards on film. Nyquist limit....