Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw two "unicorns" today at Tesla Burlingame, CA Service Center. One white and one grey. Very nice. I think the rep saw me drooling!!! :love: Talked to the rep and he said that there was a little delay with production and those two were just delivered today! i'm sure the lucky owners will have a fabulous weekend.

IMG_5741.JPG
IMG_5740.JPG

Saw two "unicorns" today at Tesla Burlingame, CA Service Center. One white and one grey. Very nice. I think the rep saw me drooling!!! :love: Talked to the rep and he said that there was a little delay with production and those two were just delivered today! i'm sure the lucky owners will have a fabulous weekend.

View attachment 65898View attachment 65899

Considering the dealer plates, I presume these two are going to stores rather than customers

I got to test drive a P85D today, at the Route 17 Paramus, NJ location, where they were having their grand opening. It had only arrived this morning.

I live in Ithaca, and had scheduled a test drive at the Garden State Plaza Gallery location back in October, for today, before I had even ordered the Model S. (I was going to be in this area today.) I wound up ordering the P85D without seeing a Model S. Over Thanksgiving we made a trip to Boston and on the way home stopped at the Natick location, where I had scheduled a test drive about a week before. That was my first time seeing and driving a Model S. You can read about that here if you like: Going to see and test drive a model S for the first time today

Anyway, back to today. I had briefly wondered if I should cancel today's scheduled test drive, but I really wanted more time with the car, and hoped maybe they'd have a P85D available. I checked yesterday to see if there was a P85D at either location yet (The Garden State Plaza location or the Route 17 location that was having its grand opening) and there was not. I decided to keep the test drive appointment (it was not a hard decision) and then go over to the Route 17 location mainly to see the superchargers, the supercharger lounge, and the service center.

The test drive of the P85+ was lots of fun and very informative. I didn't get to really experience a heck of a lot of anything too exciting, as there was a lot of traffic, but I did set creep mode to off, and regenerative braking to regular, and that was quite different from my first test drive. The woman that helped us at that location was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful, so it was a very positive experience.

My wife and I then went over to the Route 17 location, where the grand opening was taking place. They had some food platters out with some sandwiches, fruit, and cookies. I had a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies as we waited for a representative and looked around. When we did speak to a rep, I introduced myself, explained where we had just been, that I had a P85D ordered, and that we were there really to just see the place and to see the service center. As we entered the service center the rep mentioned that they had just gotten a P85D that morning, and pointed to it. I said something stupid like, "But it's not ready for test drives yet, right?", and he said, "Actually, it is. Do you want to drive it?" Needless to say, he did not have to ask me twice!

As we walked over towards the car I asked him if it had the Next Generation seats. He said it did, at which point I turned to my wife, and said we'd need to see if the back seats could fold flat, and take pictures, because there were a lot of people on the forums that wanted to know that. At which point the rep said that it only had the Next Generation seat in the front. Oh well.

The rep left to get a license plate for the car, and, presumably, to make sure that I wasn't really some nutjob off the street making stuff up, and came back a few minutes later and we were ready to go.

The rep set the driving mode to "Insane." Note that there is no steering mode selectable, as on other models. Because the rep was from the Short Hills location, and this was only his second test drive in the P85D, he didn't have a good place picked out where I could try a launch or two. It was also dark. He was trying to find places, using the navigation system, but we were failing. I wound up trying one--kind of--from maybe 10 or 15 miles per hour, but it scared the hell out of me, and I totally wimped out! I never floored it to begin with, and I think I eased off the accelerator at about 55, which means it was probably about two second later. In my defense, it was dark, the road probably wasn't the best for that at all, and I had never felt acceleration anything like that before in my life! Well, at least not in a car that I was driving.

I tried a couple of other little accelerations when I could, but nothing as severe as that one.

For what it's worth, my wife, who has an issue with motion sickness, and puts on motion sickness patches if we go to an amusement park or on a boat, actually got motion sick from the very few seconds of acceleration, and did not feel well for the rest of the test drive, and for about an hour afterwards. When we get our car, we may go through a lot of patches. (Or I may not get to drive very aggressively with her in the car.)

I did notice a high pitched sound from the front engine pretty much whenever I was accelerating. I noticed it when I was accelerating lightly to moderately. The one time I really punched it I didn't notice much of anything other than the fact that things were coming at me very fast.

Also quite cool was the fact that the speed alert was set in such a way that any time my speed exceeded the speed limit by a small amount, the speed limit sign would display on the dashboard. Also there is a little white line on the speedometer indicating the current speed limit. We were approaching a 50 MPH sign and the white line was indicating that the speed limit was 55, and I remarked that it was a little off, but just as we passed the 50 MPH sign, the white line moved to 50 MPH. Presumably when I thought it was off, we really had been in a 55 MPH zone.

I did take a picture of the sticker, but others have uploaded them, and I don't think there's any new info there. I can certainly upload it if anyone wants me to. It did indicate "Recaro" seats, and the 242 mile range. The vehicle had the 21 inch wheels.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. Since this is all so new to me, it was hard to take very much in. I can safely say that I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the P85Ds acceleration.

did the steering setting disappear only while in Insane mode? Seems like an odd thing to drop.

Also the speed limit warning is configurable, I have mine set to chime at 15 over as sort of a stupidity check.

- - - Updated - - -

Also maybe I'm better off avoiding a P85D test drive because I just got my S85 and I'd hate for it to seem inadequate. :biggrin:

I did not test the car in sport mode--only in insane mode. However, I'm sure the steering settings are gone. Even in sport mode the D is quick and needs the responsive handling.
Also maybe I'm better off avoiding a P85D test drive because I just got my S85 and I'd hate for it to seem inadequate. :biggrin:
Perhaps you are joking, but there is wisdom in this observation!

First impressions: The acceleration is ridiculous. I daily drive an Aventador, and I thought I got used to fast accelerations. But no, the P85D hauled some serious ass. As a passenger, you do not get a chance to get ready for it all. My internal organs were glued to the back of my body. I've done the P85+ test drive before, and it was already pretty fast. But this P85D is on a whole other level.

We pitted the car's acceleration against other cars. It pretty much beat everything at the car show (Ferraris and R8s didn't stand a chance). So I had to pit it against my Aventador, which does 0-60 in 2.8-2.9 seconds. Tesla P85D does it in 3.1-3.2 seconds. Right off the bat, the Tesla got ahead. It gets a good maybe half car length ahead before the Aventador grips fully and starts hauling. So we decided to make it fairer and only accelerate the Tesla when the Aventador grips and starts moving. That's when we truly got both cars to start moving at roughly the same time.

Drag Race Results (Note: This was completely casual and not in anyway in ideal, scientific conditions - the Aventador was not doing launch control): The Tesla pulled ahead in the beginning by about the hood length. But Tesla never got a chance to pull away. Instead, the Aventador kept up and was slowly cutting the difference between them with each gear shift. By the 50-60 mph, the Aventador caught up. By the 85 mph mark, the Aventador was half a car length ahead and the Tesla was only at 70-75 mph. So from around 0-60, the Aventador and Tesla P85D were pretty much neck and neck. But from 0-30 or so... the Tesla beat the Aventador. This gives you a general idea of how ridiculously fast the P85D is at the jump.

More observation: It feels different as a driver. Since I can anticipate the acceleration, I don't get the same scare/thrill that I get as a passenger. It's to a point where I actually enjoyed being a passenger rather than a driver. But after about a dozen of those 0-60 accelerations, I felt like I had to puke, the first time I felt this way in many years. It was a different feeling than I got from an internal combustion engine car, because you hear the engine roar, and you can kind of anticipate it. I think I almost got a concussion from my head suddenly banging into the headrest because of how little anticipation the car gives you. At one point I was in mid-sentence when the Tesla driver floored it, and I had trouble getting the words out of my mouth. It really takes your breath away (literally). The acceleration is at the border between fun and frightening.

p85d.jpg

First impressions: The acceleration is ridiculous. I daily drive an Aventador, and I thought I got used to fast accelerations. But no, the P85D hauled some serious ass. As a passenger, you do not get a chance to get ready for it all. My internal organs were glued to the back of my body. I've done the P85+ test drive before, and it was already pretty fast. But this P85D is on a whole other level.

We pitted the car's acceleration against other cars. It pretty much beat everything at the car show (Ferraris and R8s didn't stand a chance). So I had to pit it against my Aventador, which does 0-60 in 2.8-2.9 seconds. Tesla P85D does it in 3.1-3.2 seconds. Right off the bat, the Tesla got ahead. It gets a good maybe half car length ahead before the Aventador grips fully and starts hauling. So we decided to make it fairer and only accelerate the Tesla when the Aventador grips and starts moving. That's when we truly got both cars to start moving at roughly the same time.

Drag Race Results (Note: This was completely casual and not in anyway in ideal, scientific conditions - the Aventador was not doing launch control): The Tesla pulled ahead in the beginning by about the hood length. But Tesla never got a chance to pull away. Instead, the Aventador kept up and was slowly cutting the difference between them with each gear shift. By the 50-60 mph, the Aventador caught up. By the 85 mph mark, the Aventador was half a car length ahead and the Tesla was only at 70-75 mph. So from around 0-60, the Aventador and Tesla P85D were pretty much neck and neck. But from 0-30 or so... the Tesla beat the Aventador. This gives you a general idea of how ridiculously fast the P85D is at the jump.

More observation: It feels different as a driver. Since I can anticipate the acceleration, I don't get the same scare/thrill that I get as a passenger. It's to a point where I actually enjoyed being a passenger rather than a driver. But after about a dozen of those 0-60 accelerations, I felt like I had to puke, the first time I felt this way in many years. It was a different feeling than I got from an internal combustion engine car, because you hear the engine roar, and you can kind of anticipate it. I think I almost got a concussion from my head suddenly banging into the headrest because of how little anticipation the car gives you. At one point I was in mid-sentence when the Tesla driver floored it, and I had trouble getting the words out of my mouth. It really takes your breath away (literally). The acceleration is at the border between fun and frightening.

View attachment 65916

I'm curious as to where you did a test drive where you could drag race... I want to go there. lol.

View attachment 65916

Thanks! This is making the wait for my P85D much easier.

First post, so please be gentle. Apologies for lack of photos, I really should have taken some, if not video.

Had test drive of P85D at Tesla Bellevue (WA) yesterday. Danni, my awesome sales rep, set this up as a nice thing due to some of the waiting on my own order from Nov.

Differences noted from P85:

Outside
Frunk space is a lot smaller. Think large gym bag.
Charge port did *not* auto close. Might just be because this is earlier than production cars(?). Danni was unaware that this was standard feature on 85D

Interior.
Sun visors were still the small ones (fine by me though ;-))
Had next gen front seats. Much more supportive on the sides and felt more comfortable over all. Quick acceleration around corners felt much more controlled.
Rear seats had higher headrests, though did not appear to have side bolsters. I did not sit in them
Was running 6.0 software, though no autopilot (as expected: will be released via update soon)
No steering wheel adjustment. Danni mentioned this was always in "sport" now due to from motor. I had no issues with turning being heavy, even at low speeds and in traffic.
UI for both dash and 17" displays looked same
Some additional noise from front motor, noticeable less under heavy acceleration, though I town is possible to hear, incl. regen. Still definitely not intrusive, and an incredibly quiet ride.
Regen appears to be happening from front motor. Noticeable only when in normal regen mode. Hard to explain though front "feels" like car is being pushed back from the front as opposed to be held back from the rear... Yeah, I know that sounds strange. Regen on normal still feels aggressive, though not more so.

Performance and Handling. All done legally on roads, honest officer...
No noticeable difference driving at low speeds, in town, between sport and insane. Both were equally sensitive to accelerator travel/responsiveness. All rest tested in insane mode
0-60 (ish) In a word: Awesome. In the original meaning of the word. I don't believe it insane, as the power is delivered predictably and the handling is complementary.
Did 3 tests: first, straight line on flat on dry surface - I can definitely believe 3 seconds and second the previous feedback that it takes your breath away. Ensure your head is against the head rest and that you warn your copilot ;-). Second test was on uphill section of damp to wet patches on road going up hill. Car tires skipped for a couple of rotations and scrambled for traction - very different feel and front motor really helped. Third test was down steep hill and this was just plain scary; I wimped out and used the brakes passing 60. It felt quicker than 3 seconds...
Handling under hard acceleration and braking was great. Didn't notice effects of extra weight or slight shift of distribution toward rear of car. I definitely wouldn't have pushed the p85 on these road conditions in the same way.
The additional front motor definitely helps in wet conditions and I felt the car more with me, than trying to break free of me.

All I have to add. As I mentioned, exemplary and proactive service from Danni.

Any questions, feel free to let me know

cheers, Mike

Just completed a test drive of the D at the Walnut Creek,CA store. As others have mentioned the acceleration is truly insane. I got two good launches, one onto the freeway and another on a back road straight in Orinda. I also hit a hard go on a sharp turn and quite pleased with the handling.
Sadly this demo did not have the next gen seats in front or back.
Can't wait for my D now, hopefully next week.
-emily

This indicates a new fine tuning software upgrade option: a button the passengers can push saying "audible kW level" to know what's about to happen. Also perhaps an "abort" button. The driver doesn't need it.

I was able to drive a P85D today briefly. For those of you asking how it feels, if you have ever been on "California Screamin" at Disney's California Adventure, well, that is how it feels -- just like the acceleration stretch at the very start of that ride. The force on your body is severe and I suspect that unhealthy individuals could even approach the black-out point. I was very happy to find that the car handles amazingly well and that the power does not get in the way of the driving experience. I drive a Lotus Elise so this car is on the opposite end of the weight spectrum, however I found it very fun to drive. I would love to get it out on an autocross course just to see what it can do at the limit.

You're like the guy from 100 years ago that thought your face would rip off if you went 60mph.