Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Strange Clicking Front Left Speaker (with link to video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I was driving today listening to Slacker when a loud repeating "click" sound started from the front left of the car. It seemed like a speaker or sound system glitch because the other systems (like hvac, air suspension, etc) had no effect. Interestingly it only came from one of the front left speakers. This continued after leaving the car and returning. Eventually, rebooting remedied the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Video linked to demonstrate the exact sound:

Tesla P85D Strange Clicking Noise - YouTube

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm on the latest firmware.

Hey,

I was driving today listening to Slacker when a loud repeating "click" sound started from the front left of the car. It seemed like a speaker or sound system glitch because the other systems (like hvac, air suspension, etc) had no effect. Interestingly it only came from one of the front left speakers. This continued after leaving the car and returning. Eventually, rebooting remedied the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Video linked to demonstrate the exact sound:

Tesla P85D Strange Clicking Noise - YouTube

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm on the latest firmware.
Software loop? The left front speaker is where the navigation sound comes from (while muting the audio system). Sounds like something got glitched and it was between input states.

My car was having the same issue. I discovered that the source of the sound was my cell phone. Particularly if the cell phone was left in the cubby under the center screen. Causes some kind of interference which comes through the speakers.

My car was having the same issue. I discovered that the source of the sound was my cell phone. Particularly if the cell phone was left in the cubby under the center screen. Causes some kind of interference which comes through the speakers.

In this case, it definitely wasn't my cell phone. I've had some more subtle interference with a buzzing/clicking in the past (like when receiving a call or text message), but this sound continued even after I walked a few feet from the car (with my phone in my pocket). And this clicking was much louder, remaining at the exact same volume, independent of where my phone was located. Also, I've had the same exact phone (iPhone 6) since I got the car in April and have never had that clicking. More importantly, I don't believe a reboot would make the cell phone's clicking stop instantly.

I took another video of me getting out of the car, closing the door, and reopening it... and the sound stayed exactly the same. Note that in the video, the sound seems to fade as I move it away from the source, but to me sitting stationary, the sound was the exact same volume the entire time.

Hello from Switzerland. My new-to-me Dec. 2015 S85 made this exact sound today! I stopped and recorded a very short video (very annoying sound) and reset with the scroll buttons. It has disappeared since. This is my second day with the car. I drove about 400km today.

Well, the service center said they could not reproduce the problem. They said the next time it happens to do a voice command "bug report" and then describe the problem and bring back to service within 7 days. Damn, I should have thought of that. I knew about bug report - but the sound is just so shocking when it happens that I lose my wits. I am sure it will happen again within days.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Well, the service center said they could not reproduce the problem. They said the next time it happens to do a voice command "bug report" and then describe the problem and bring back to service within 7 days. Damn, I should have thought of that. I knew about bug report - but the sound is just so shocking when it happens that I lose my wits. I am sure it will happen again within days.

I'm going in again on the 6th.

Reactions: Lu Ann
In addition to the "bug report" voice command, I try to film a video when my car is having problems so that I can show them "proof" when they ask what was wrong. It also helps for a timestamp of the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lu Ann and croman