Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA state inspection (south central PA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Pennsylvania owners, anyone knows a state inspection place in south central PA around York, Lancaster or Harrisburg that is familiar with doing inspection on a Tesla? I went to Jiffy lube in York and they have never seen a Tesla before and they’re not comfortable doing the inspection on it. Thanks in advance.

@T3SLA90D, I saw this thread that was started a while back in the Community area's North America/Mid-Atlantic section. Might give you some ideas of other places or maybe this thread for central PA inspections could be moved there (I reported and suggested this). Always nice to get recommendations from those owners in the immediate area. Sorry the Devon SvC wasn't able to give you any closer sources.

Inspection in SE PA?

Another suggestion would be the Delaware - Maryland - Pennsyvania Tesla owners club area on here: Del-Mar-PA Tesla Motor Car Club | Tesla Motors Club

Last edited:
Reactions: T3SLA90D
Just took mine to Lewis Auto Care on Derry Street in Harrisburg for the initial inspection. I'd never been there before but it looked like he did a lot of high end cars. Takes a little faith since it's not pretty on the outside, but they know what they're doing and not afraid of the Tesla. Just two guys...Mike and an assistant. I preferred that over a chain store where it'd be assigned to a random person in the shop. Maybe after I get a few dings I won't care so much. Would definitely recommend.

I'm looking at moving to PA and I didn't realize you needed annual inspections. Do they put the sticker on the windshield?

I was looking at the DMV web site and it seems you get your driver's license from them, but you go to commercial vendors to get your title. The site even says you aren't allowed to fill out the paperwork, so they don't let you download it off the web site.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up between initial registration/title and tags. I'm going to be near Gettysburg (Fairfield) which has a DMV for the license. But I'll have to go west to Waynesboro to get my cars titled. If I want a Real ID licence I'll have to go someplace else entirely! Most likely Harrisburg.

Another thing was that while I'd have 60 days to get a driver's license, the title/tags must be obtained within 20 days and a PA ID is required, so that means driver's license, right? Geeze!

Is PA really this messed up with auto licenses?

I'm also concerned about costs. I don't see anything about taxes on cars and title fees don't seem to be tied to value. So as long as I've had the car six months I won't have to pay the sales tax.

PA is more local to where I spend most of my time, but there's still a 3% income tax rate. If the cars are going to be such a hassle, maybe I should look into Florida which has no income tax.

Last edited:
Ok, a PA Resident owning a Tesla.
1. Yes, annual Safety Inspections are required, and performed by a 'licensed PA State Inspection Station'. Almost any repair shop is such a place, and the fee for a safety inspection is set by the shop, but it's minimal. I use AAA MidAtlantic service center for mine and I think I pay about $15. Note: No emissions inspection / sticker for obvious reasons. And yes the sticker is in the lower left part of the windshield (on the drivers side)

2. Tags come from a licensed agency, again many, I use AAA again. Trivial process and you only pay the state fee, plus a small charge, and AAA prints your registration card right there, no need to get it later in the mail.

3. There is no Car Tax (beyond the initial sales tax) in PA, except for leases, which collect a higher rate sales tax on every payment (no up front sales tax beyond your 'up front paydown amount' If you bring a car into PA that you've owned for (I think 6 months), there is no sales tax.

4. Any drivers license center can issue you a drivers license with or without real-id. You just need to bring the proper identification with you. They issue them on the spot. Could be a wait in line, but its immediate. Note: renewals need a camera card you get in the mail first, but initial licenses including transfers are done at a drivers license center and there are tons of those around the state.

5. Florida is lower taxes than PA.

Ok, a PA Resident owning a Tesla.
1. Yes, annual Safety Inspections are required, and performed by a 'licensed PA State Inspection Station'. Almost any repair shop is such a place, and the fee for a safety inspection is set by the shop, but it's minimal. I use AAA MidAtlantic service center for mine and I think I pay about $15. Note: No emissions inspection / sticker for obvious reasons. And yes the sticker is in the lower left part of the windshield (on the drivers side)

2. Tags come from a licensed agency, again many, I use AAA again. Trivial process and you only pay the state fee, plus a small charge, and AAA prints your registration card right there, no need to get it later in the mail.

3. There is no Car Tax (beyond the initial sales tax) in PA, except for leases, which collect a higher rate sales tax on every payment (no up front sales tax beyond your 'up front paydown amount' If you bring a car into PA that you've owned for (I think 6 months), there is no sales tax.

4. Any drivers license center can issue you a drivers license with or without real-id. You just need to bring the proper identification with you. They issue them on the spot. Could be a wait in line, but its immediate. Note: renewals need a camera card you get in the mail first, but initial licenses including transfers are done at a drivers license center and there are tons of those around the state.

5. Florida is lower taxes than PA.

Thanks for the info. When you say "tags". Is that where I go for the initial title registration? What is a "small fee"? I'm originally from Maryland where they didn't have so many DMV when I was a kid. So there was a local company who would run tag applications down to the state office in Gleln Burnie saving us a 100 mile round trip and waiting. I don't think they handled anything other than tags. Title was another matter. When I checked on locations near Gettysburg (I'm actually going to be in Fairfield which is nearly to Maryland) closest was Waynesboro, some 20 miles over back roads. Driving there is one thing, driving two or three times because the details are not clear to me is not so good. It just seems so odd that you can't do this at a DMV.

Then there is the thing where you aren't required to change your driver's license for 60 days, but they are really just kidding since you have to have the PA ID to get your title and tags. Now that's goofy. Or do I have this wrong?

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong in regards to the Real ID. The click box that pulls up 10 or so locations around the state is for "same day" Real ID. I guess with the others you get it in the mail. I assume I'll get a temporary photo ID for the meantime? So I'll need to drive to Gettysburg, then to Waynesboro then back. Some 50 miles or so. Nearest AAA is quite a bit further in Shrewsbury.

Do I understand it correctly now?

In the middle of the state they may be farther away from each other, I'm near Philadelphia, and well, they are everywhere. Tag services handle plates and title (they go together), Driver License Centers handle driving tests, photo licenses, and a few other services.
I went into google maps and did a 'tag service near fairfield PA' and got back several in fairfield. But look for one that does same day title and tag service, they can hand it to you on the spot. Being an AAA member, the fee was trivial (if not waived) at my local AAA office. I don't know what the 'same day' tag agencies charge, alas, call them, they'll tell you. When you transfer your license at a PA Drivers License center (which you may/may not need a test (written and/or driving)), they will issue you an immediate camera card, and you can have a same day real-id done there, one stop. A lot of the stuff on the website is for the rush that occurred when they first opened the real-id stuff.
Note a driving test will require making an appointment, and you need to pass the written if they make you take that, first.

I am expecting that to accomplish all of this, you'll need to make two stops. The license first, then the tags. And I would not be surprised if you could not do it all in the same day. The wait times vary at the license centers based on size, et al.

Remember Real-ID requires multiple proofs of identity and residence. So the bigger issue would be bringing something to prove you live there (at the new address), such as a utility bill, etc. See the website, the federal law makes the list of items they can take be very restrictive. They have no leeway to make nice. But you can get a non-real ID license first, and then months later go back for a real-id one.

In the middle of the state they may be farther away from each other, I'm near Philadelphia, and well, they are everywhere. Tag services handle plates and title (they go together), Driver License Centers handle driving tests, photo licenses, and a few other services.
I went into google maps and did a 'tag service near fairfield PA' and got back several in fairfield. But look for one that does same day title and tag service, they can hand it to you on the spot. Being an AAA member, the fee was trivial (if not waived) at my local AAA office. I don't know what the 'same day' tag agencies charge, alas, call them, they'll tell you. When you transfer your license at a PA Drivers License center (which you may/may not need a test (written and/or driving)), they will issue you an immediate camera card, and you can have a same day real-id done there, one stop. A lot of the stuff on the website is for the rush that occurred when they first opened the real-id stuff.
Note a driving test will require making an appointment, and you need to pass the written if they make you take that, first.

I am expecting that to accomplish all of this, you'll need to make two stops. The license first, then the tags. And I would not be surprised if you could not do it all in the same day. The wait times vary at the license centers based on size, et al.

Remember Real-ID requires multiple proofs of identity and residence. So the bigger issue would be bringing something to prove you live there (at the new address), such as a utility bill, etc. See the website, the federal law makes the list of items they can take be very restrictive. They have no leeway to make nice. But you can get a non-real ID license first, and then months later go back for a real-id one.

Yeah, the ID thing can be a PITA, but I'm assuming I can hack that ok. I've got SS card and birth cert and existing driver's license which is not "real ID". My previous WV license was a "federal" ID (no further proof of anything, just pay $10 more) but that's probably something a bit different. Maybe I'll get a passport. That should do the trick.

I really don't want to go through it all twice. I'm very surprised about your Google search. I used the PA DMV web site which clearly is not complete. With Google I see two right in town and one wants a bit less than $200 for the car and right about $200 for the truck depending on if it's GVW is less or more than 5,000 lbs So this won't be so hard after all other than having to go to two different places for DL and registration.

Just took mine to Lewis Auto Care on Derry Street in Harrisburg for the initial inspection. I'd never been there before but it looked like he did a lot of high end cars. Takes a little faith since it's not pretty on the outside, but they know what they're doing and not afraid of the Tesla. Just two guys...Mike and an assistant. I preferred that over a chain store where it'd be assigned to a random person in the shop. Maybe after I get a few dings I won't care so much. Would definitely recommend.

Old thread, I know -- but its what I found when digging for this info and wanted to update it for other Central PA folks.

Lewis Auto Care moved to Enola - 700A S Enola Rd, 717-307-9890. After calling, they squeezed me in today to get my sticker. Very nice guys, and a very high-tech capable shop who are used to working on BMWs and Mercedes. They will happily inspect Teslas. A once-over and sticker cost me like $25. Very satisfied and they'll be first on my list if I need anything else.

Reactions: Senpai
I just got my car done at Kars in Shiloh for about $20. The only frustrating thing was it seems like they took it for a joy ride.... queue up Ferris Buellers Day Off... they added 3.5 miles to the odometer. Next time, I will set it in valet mode.

I just got my car done at Kars in Shiloh for about $20. The only frustrating thing was it seems like they took it for a joy ride.... queue up Ferris Buellers Day Off... they added 3.5 miles to the odometer. Next time, I will set it in valet mode.

When I got mine inspected, I set it on Valet Mode -- not so much so they couldn't joyride it, but because I have regen, hold, etc. set and I figure leave Valet in "more like a traditional car" mode (creep, low regen... )