Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone -

I’d like to provide a quick update on this topic. Some of you with a P90D and Ludicrous acceleration mentioned that you did not want to use Launch Mode to simultaneously activate maximum battery performance. We’ve listened and are happy to tell you that for those that wish to do so, you can again enable maximum battery performance independently from Launch Mode, ensuring that you have maximum flexibility in how you use your car.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I certainly appreciate you listening to the customers. I do however have to ask the obvious questions:

Will this enable the maximum power with just 'Max Battery' enabled or will there be a new option?
Any idea when we might expect to see this change?

Again, thank you for listening and keeping us up to date.

Hi Jon,

I certainly appreciate you listening to the customers. I do however have to ask the obvious questions:

Will this enable the maximum power with just 'Max Battery' enabled or will there be a new option?
Any idea when we might expect to see this change?

Again, thank you for listening and keeping us up to date.

The version you need is 2017.32.6 ca28227.

And you should actually thank @azdryheat as he is the one that forced Tesla to do this. You can see his thread about this here: My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

Last edited:
Reactions: OnlyDataNoBS
The version you need is 2017.32.6 ca28227.

And you should actually thank @azdryheat as hr is the I've that forced Tesla to do this. You can see his thread about this here: My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not been following that thread so I missed the recent news there.

So yes, I guess the real thanks goes to @azdryheat for fighting the battle to get this noticed and rectified.

Reactions: daktari
Actually it took 11 months, I first reported this issue to Tesla in September of 2016! Just 3 months after taking delivery of my car it lost 40 Horse Power!! (latter more then 100HP lost) What an unreliable car I thought at the time, then Tesla had the gall to tell me it was supposedly my fault for using my car. (launch mode and counter gate) Don't sell a Performace model if you can't use the Performance!

So 11 Months, a partial performance restore in February from Jon, and a lawsuit recently by another member later later, my power is back to how it was when I purchased the car... o_O WOW!

@JonMc Thanks, I guess?! But really the car should have never been changed after purchase! This mess has tainted the 11 out of 14 months I've had with my Tesla and while its nice to have the power back now it took 11 months to get there.

Personally id love to see this lost time made right as well with some sort of olive branch here! Extend our battery pack warranty a year, or better yet discount the 100 packs for effected owners either of those would be a nice way to make up for that lost time @JonMc !

Last edited:
More details from Electrek Tesla finally unleashes full power of Ludicrous performance cars after customer complaints

Several owners had been complaining that the launch mode-only solution was inadequate.
One owner went as far as taking Tesla to small claims court over it and others asked to be reimbursed for their Ludicrous upgrade.

Tesla says that those particular pressures “weren’t related” to the latest change, but coincidently (or not), the owner who sued was the first to be made aware of the impending update last week ahead of McNeill’s confirmation last night

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
he owner who sued was the first to be made aware of the impending update last week ahead of McNeill’s confirmation last night

This is not true. I was told back in mid May that there was a firmware fix coming in about two weeks, and no more than a month. Of course it took longer than they said. In subsequent conversations, I was repeatedly told the release was just awaiting approval, but after Jon McNeill's previous statements, I was dubious. Then about two week before the actual release, they told me it would be in an upcoming 2017.3x firmware.

At first I got a lot of communications about logs had been sent to engineering and they were reviewing them, even though McNeill had already stated that the amperage was limited outside of launch mode. This was back in early March.

This in no way either confirms or refutes Tesla's motivations for providing the fix, nor does it diminish azdryheat's efforts on behalf of all affected owners. But they were working on something no later than early May, and, as I was told, there were at least 5 or 6 other owners who were in direct talks with Tesla about this matter.

Last edited:
Giving Tippy the benefit of the doubt here...
This in no way either confirms or refutes Tesla's motivations for providing the fix, nor does it diminish azdryheat's efforts on behalf of all affected owners. But they were working on something no later than early May, and, as I was told, there were at least 5 or 6 other owners who were in direct talks with Tesla about this matter.
I've already thanked @azdryheat. Thank you to these anonymous-to-me owners who were also apparently persistent in pushing Tesla on this.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi Everyone -

I’d like to provide a quick update on this topic. Some of you with a P90D and Ludicrous acceleration mentioned that you did not want to use Launch Mode to simultaneously activate maximum battery performance. We’ve listened and are happy to tell you that for those that wish to do so, you can again enable maximum battery performance independently from Launch Mode, ensuring that you have maximum flexibility in how you use your car.

Jon
Does this apply to those of us with P85D's with Ludicrous?

Reactions: jkennebeck
I would like to know why we can't have the maximum power without a mode for it so it is available all the time And having to go through a procedure to enable it? or at least the option to do so setting something like max power anytime

Having a mode for max power makes some sense. It enabled extra heating in the battery and maybe extra cooling for the electronics that you wouldn't want all the time.

I'm not sure why the current is limited when max battery isn't on, but that is another question. That's how it worked when I bought my car last year. I'm fine with having to flip a switch once in a while.