Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint defects at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ek993

Jun 19, 2018
CT
Noticing a number of paint defects on my new X. They all look like drip marks, have discoloration and there is no clear coat over the areas - they are flat and rough. Anyone else had this?

I have one on the front fender and one on the front bumper

4F477A43-C3B7-4440-94EB-BF52D11153F5.jpeg
14D5CD58-C751-4478-95F4-D47E012E8160.jpeg
1F853265-45BF-43E3-8EC2-1CA8908F6C36.jpeg
D0E148A4-D682-4652-9938-B06D513ED151.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
Noticing a number of paint defects on my new X. They all look like drip marks, have discoloration and there is no clear coat over the areas - they are flat and rough. Anyone else had this?

I have one on the front fender and one on the front bumper

View attachment 323130 View attachment 323131 View attachment 323132 View attachment 323133
Anything is possible but it is unlikely that there is no clear on that spot on the top of the front fender. That is more likely something on top of the clear and will be buffed off. The spots are on the upper horizontal surface where something might have fallen on it during transporting. The base and clear is sprayed by robot and is very uniform from car to car, debris however is possible. If it was there during paint I would think they likely would have seen it. I’ve always been surprised at the low level of quality control Tesla exercises in all their cars. Earlier model year cars were worse, they are getting better

Not sure this warrants a 2nd thread. Contact Tesla and see if they will fix it.

thread done/
My other thread was more delivery experience oriented. I wanted to call out the paint defects separately as interested in feedback from the forum members who might have experienced this specific issue.

I am going to be making an appointment at Tesla to bring it back in.

My other thread was more delivery experience oriented. I wanted to call out the paint defects separately as interested in feedback from the forum members who might have experienced this specific issue.

I am going to be making an appointment at Tesla to bring it back in.

I would try as Sunshine mentioned to polish out ..that looks like residue from either the protector wrap or road residue from the transport ...

This should not be happening on a brand new car that you paid 100K+, and we know that Tesla is new and all, we love it and willing to give some latitude, but this sort of thing should have been sorted out long ago. This is a QC/QA issue, which is absolutely avoidable. Tesla should spend time on resolving these issues before they lose their reputation as a reliable manufacturer.

I had a go with some polish today - the discolored spots are definitely in the paint, not on the surface so it looks like a problem at the paint spraying stage. Let’s see what the SC says when I bring it in.

Also discovered a small puncture hole in the drivers door card / interior panel.

• Funny
I had a go with some polish today - the discolored spots are definitely in the paint, not on the surface so it looks like a problem at the paint spraying stage. Let’s see what the SC says when I bring it in.

Also discovered a small puncture hole in the drivers door card / interior panel.
Well, let us know what Tesla does to remedy this. I wonder how far they'll go, considering this is a somewhat valid complaint and pretty much applies to every car coming out of the factory. Thing is, nobody ever notices paint defects/swirl marks etc.

I'm guessing they're going to tell you they'd be more than happy to fix it, but that you'll have to leave the car w/ them while they send it to a body shop to completely strip it down and repaint it. I don't know if it's worth it.

I have a lot of "small" defects in my paint, like small nibs that probably got into the clear coat, but I'm not going to bother with them because of the overall inconvenience. How much does it bother you? Also, are you going to wrap the car? If you apply a PPF, there may be a chance that it hides some of it due to a minimal orange peel effect.

I don't know though, as I'm no expert in PPF. I do know several people detailers and PPF experts have told me that the PPF will hide minor swirl marks and the like. Only issue w/ nibs is that it causes bubbling in small spots. If yours is flat, I wonder how that would turn out.

Our Model X had about 5 areas with paint defects - mostly pin needle impressions caused by overspray and small chips during delivery. when it was delivered. They were surprised it wasn’t caught during pre delivery inspection. The DS didn’t seem aware of them either. Tesla made things right and had a few panels repainted. It was a stressful experience but they had great service the entire time.

Well, let us know what Tesla does to remedy this. I wonder how far they'll go, considering this is a somewhat valid complaint and pretty much applies to every car coming out of the factory. Thing is, nobody ever notices paint defects/swirl marks etc.

Nothing remotely like that on my paint. I had it professionally ceramic coated just after delivery by a very experienced body shop and they didn't report any paint issues (and they always do if there are any, however trivial).

I wouldn't be happy living with those marks either on an expensive new car, so hopefully they can sort it out for you. Agree delivery QC is seriously lacking with Tesla. It's like you do your own PDI!

Big thumbs up. Consumers should not accept shoddy work from any company. It's no big secret that QC has been falling onto the consumer lately. Tesla needs to sort it out. I apologize if thinking a company should have better QC offends you.

Nah....Tesla's Model 3 "problems" as a percent of their delivered cars is very small and in some cases nits.

In any event, I've just come to realize that you're just on here to troll negatively.

btw: I hope you're on BMW's forums railing about the fires on their vehicles: TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable & Porsche, Audi & VW about poisonous cadmium in their cars which might cause a recall of 124K of cars: 124,000 electric and PHEV cars from VW, Audi and Porsche could be recalled due to poisonous cadmium.

My own experience with my wife's Porsche Macan is that there have been 3 major recalls since owning including two that took a year to resolve: dangerous air bag & fuel valve fire risk.

Last edited: