Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Lines/Gaps on White & Silver Model S's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah!:). Can't be unseen now. Is pretty cool to hide the arrow there though. Funny how many years you can look at something like that and not even notice it.

Was it intentional?

I've been reading this thread trying to figure out what it's about

It's about the door panel lines:
lines.gif

Various shots where they have the frunk or trunk cracked started me looking and now I can't unsee it :(
unklines.gif

If it still bothers me in person, I'll go Red I guess, though from the videos I've seen it's not really noticeable, so it's probably just staring at blown up photos :cursing:

ElS: I went to the FedEx site this morning and was able to unsee the arrow though :)

Photos usually up the contrast somewhat, making lines look more obvious. Some cameras even do slight edge enhancements (high pass filter) to make the photos have more "snap". So I would look at the car in person before making a decision.

And another company containing hidden info in plain sight:

View attachment 5527

In this case the number 31 as in the flavors of ice cream they offer.

Now back on topic, I think the light colors will not show scratches, dirt and wax swirl marks as much as the darker colors so for me that offsets any exaggeration of the gap lines that are visible on the white or silver as compared to the darker colors.

OK maybe I'm dense, but... don't those exist on all light colored sedans?
Yes, but they make each extra micrometer of gap that much more visible, and they put in sharp relief any variation in panel gaps (i.e., different between panels, or different at the top of a gap vs. the bottom). If you have confidence in Tesla's QC, there's nothing worse on the Model S than any other light-colored car. But completely accurate panel gaps are really hard to master.

Panel lines to not bother me - in fact I think they highlight the design by breaking up the large expanse. That chrome strip at the bottom however.... THAT makes me crazy as it makes the doors look like they are longer than the fenders.

Something was bugging me about the picture of Jurvetson's S:

4k2yx28b.jpg

The chrome trim actually looks like it doesn't properly line up with the rear quarter panel as well. I think I'd prefer the gap to be the same as between the chrome trim and the hatch the whole way down the hatch line.

I looked up the A7 to see if it had a similar wide gap on its rear hatch. Seems they solve the issue by ending the hatch at the window, so the line gets lost in the black:

2012-Audi-A7-rear-left-view.jpg

I already posted some issues I saw on another thread so won't repeat them here as it's clear it's not just one set of eyeballs that are seeing these visually displeasing alignment problems and gaps. I feel bad about picking on an owner's car and wish actual RC's were made available to take the brunt of our collective critiques. Thou in fairness to the TMC group of posters, it's not like we haven't been telling them all along about these same issues with the betas.

I think (and hope) what we are seeing here is the chrome extending into the gap, and reflecting light. I would bet that the chrome from the side trim extends into the opening, thus we are seeing the bright chrome in the gap, as opposed to the darker painted recess of the gap where it is painted and not chrome. If this is the case, and one does not like the reflection off the chrome causing an optical illusion that the gap is wider there, it is simply a case to put on a piece of black tape over the chrome in the gap - this way you do not get the reflection of the bright chrome in the gap - resulting in the gap looking dark and not noticing it. On other cars, even with a very small gap, if chrome (or brightwork trim) is carried into and under a seam line, the reflection line can make one think the gap is larger than it is. Some manufacturers use the black tape for this use.

Also, it is not fair to compare a darker car (the Audi in this instance) to a red car. Gaps always look smaller on a dark car.

I think (and hope) what we are seeing here is the chrome extending into the gap, and reflecting light. I would bet that the chrome from the side trim extends into the opening, thus we are seeing the bright chrome in the gap, as opposed to the darker painted recess of the gap where it is painted and not chrome. If this is the case, and one does not like the reflection off the chrome causing an optical illusion that the gap is wider there, it is simply a case to put on a piece of black tape over the chrome in the gap - this way you do not get the reflection of the bright chrome in the gap - resulting in the gap looking dark and not noticing it. On other cars, even with a very small gap, if chrome (or brightwork trim) is carried into and under a seam line, the reflection line can make one think the gap is larger than it is. Some manufacturers use the black tape for this use.

This picture also seems to suggest it's not a reflection or glare:

IMG_5711.JPG

Chrome aside, the gap all the way down is far too large, and uneven as the quarter panel is closer to the hatch at the top than at the bottom. There are other gaps seen on that car as well as on the cars posted earlier in this thread.

Also, it is not fair to compare a darker car (the Audi in this instance) to a red car. Gaps always look smaller on a dark car.

Regarding the A7, as I said, it's not even an issue because the rear quarter panel is solid on the A7, the actual hatch stops at the window. Though, the trunk still has a thinner gap than in the pic above. Anywho, to be fair, here it is in red:

2012-Audi-A7-rear-profile.jpg

audi-a7-rear-left-side-view-parked.jpg

I'm glad to hear Elon is checking for things like this (and asking feedback) so that these issues are fixed by production. I know the Karma had similar issues, so it's not like it's a unique problem.

This picture also seems to suggest it's not a reflection or glare:

View attachment 6611

Chrome aside, the gap all the way down is far too large, and uneven as the quarter panel is closer to the hatch at the top than at the bottom. There are other gaps seen on that car as well as on the cars posted earlier in this thread.

Regarding the A7, as I said, it's not even an issue because the rear quarter panel is solid on the A7, the actual hatch stops at the window. Though, the trunk still has a thinner gap than in the pic above. Anywho, to be fair, here it is in red:

View attachment 6609
View attachment 6610

I'm glad to hear Elon is checking for things like this (and asking feedback) so that these issues are fixed by production. I know the Karma had similar issues, so it's not like it's a unique problem.

Gap or no Gap, I much prefer the wider Model S rear opening to the smaller opening of A7 - much more functional.

Gap or no Gap, I much prefer the wider Model S rear opening to the smaller opening of A7 - much more functional.

Definitely.

Maybe, it's just me, (and yes, I've been drinking a lot of Tesla kool-aid), but, the gaps seem fairly normal/acceptable? They are surely watertight (Jurvetson's car already got a soak in the Bay Area on Monday) so, are we possibly nitpicking?