Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano or No-Pano

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had any problems with glare, too much light, or heat with the pano. Including CA summer, NV summer, and trips to TX in the summer. (Squeaks and rattles are a different story, but the roof has since been significantly redesigned, so might not be an issue anymore).

Last edited:
This is hardly definitive, but we test drove a car here in the Ft. Worth area on July 1st. it was a bit of a scorcher that day. I noted a couple of items about the pano roof:

1. Dark - So we drove two cars and both had the black headliner. Honestly, I was a bit surprised at how that impacted some of the "open feel" of the car. I sort of assumed the big pano roof would let in enough light that the dark headliner would be a non-issue. The takeaway for you here is that the glare/light seemed to be a non-issue. Indeed, my overall impression was "dark". I still prefer the look of the darker headliner overall (especially with the black or gray interior).

2. Hot to the touch, but does it matter? - Now despite what others say, the pano roof just HAS TO let more heat in than a solid roof with headliner. It is actually the latter that is the key element here. When we reached up and touched the glass it was hot (like you expect a windshield to be here in Texas). The headliner, was only warm in comparison. The pano is heavily tinted so the UV rays coming through don't bake everything they hit (unlike the windshield). It will, however, RADIATE some small amount of heat. Neither my wife or I found it objectionable, however. Indeed, pre-cooling the car for even a minute or so likely negates any heat concerns overall.

This was just two back to back test drives so take it all with a grain of salt.

Ditto what others said: I usually hate sunroofs and keep them covered up on my other cars… but I would recommend the moonroof on the Model S. The biggest advantage is the increased headroom — the MS is a low-slung coupe and you'll find that folks over 6 ft might have some overhead claustrophobia without the moonroof.

I drove to Vegas in 110-degree weather and had no complaints about sun or heat. The factory tint already works extremely well (much better than any other sunroof I've owned), and I personally don't see a need for aftermarket tinting.

I've never had a sunroof on a car until now, and I considered not getting it, but I'm really glad I did. The extra light and head room really open up the feel of the cabin. The factory tint is actually excellent at heat rejection. Even with the sun directly over me, I've never noticed enough heat to wish it wasn't there

I would say you should get a matte screen protector for the main display though. Not only does it hide fingerprints really well, but it also will really cut down on glare

I do not like sunroofs at all, and I absolutely love the pano roof. I never actually open it, but having the glass really gives the car a really nice open feel on the inside. Headroom is a big plus as well. I don't feel the heat from the sunroof while driving nor does the sun's light coming in bother me- and this is saying a lot as I normally tint my cars to 15%. I highly recommend it!

Do you ever anticipate putting a rack on your car?
Do you ever expect to want to use satellite radio?

If you answered yes to one or both, you have to get pano. That might help guide your decision.

At first it was a must for me. Then I ended up getting a great deal on inventory car without it. It certainly has a different feel. I have black interior and headliner. It's dark and I like it that way. My kids sleep great on road trips! Boils down to your personal preference and I say go for it.