Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pano Noise Update

I took my car into the service center in Chicago today to have the pano roof creak fixed. They took the glass out and adjusted
some things. It's much better now than it was, but there is still a noticeable, although somewhat less annoying, creaking sound,
coming from the passenger side of the car rather than before where it was mostly behind the driver.

I took my Model S in to the Santa Monica service center on Tuesday. They have been working on my car for FOUR days, and have now isolated the noise source to the rear pano glass. The car is now at an outside body shop, where I'm told they will remove the glass, and send the car back to the Tesla service center for evaluation and repair. Then the glass will be reinstalled by the body shop. I might be without my car for a week or so...:mad:

Jeff, what specifically did they "adjust" on your pano Roof? It sounds like we may have the same issue...

Aloha.

Silence is Golden
One week and no Pano creak. My car only spent a day at the White Plains Service Center. Raphael and the boys did a great job. The fix is definitely not a do-it-at-home, it involves removing the glass and putting in spacers between plastic and metal layers. I did not really understand exactly where but it is inaccessible without removing the glass. Tesla has the fix for this so it should be doable at any Service Center. There is an engineer at Tesla who only deals with cabin acoustics and he/she came up with the repair. Thank you. Loving my quiet car.:smile:

• Love
Reactions: HighVolt@ge
Silence is Golden
One week and no Pano creak. My car only spent a day at the White Plains Service Center. Raphael and the boys did a great job. The fix is definitely not a do-it-at-home, it involves removing the glass and putting in spacers between plastic and metal layers. I did not really understand exactly where but it is inaccessible without removing the glass. Tesla has the fix for this so it should be doable at any Service Center. There is an engineer at Tesla who only deals with cabin acoustics and he/she came up with the repair. Thank you. Loving my quiet car.:smile:

Thats great! I have an appointment for the fix next week. I am hoping they can pick up my car and leave me a Roadster based on the service announcement. :biggrin:

I got my pano roof creak fixed at the Menlo Park service center the other day. Took it in at 9am and they had it fixed right before they closed at 6. They said sometimes it takes a while to track down the source of the creak, but mine was easy. Most of the time was for fixing the curb rash on one of my wheels. I believe they said they had to remove the glass to fix the creak. I've only driven 150 miles since then, but so far it's been wonderful to have a quiet car again. Forgot how much I enjoyed the quietness of the car!

Silence is Golden

Great meeting you yesterday at the Bedford EV & Plug-in show!

My baby's going in this morning for the same fix - so glad yours went so well! Hopefully they'll also fix my intermittent back-up camera problem and also replace my bad microphone so people can actually hear me on the phone over bluetooth.

They'll be keeping her a couple of days....

Aaron

I got my pano roof creak fixed at the Menlo Park service center the other day. Took it in at 9am and they had it fixed right before they closed at 6. They said sometimes it takes a while to track down the source of the creak, but mine was easy. Most of the time was for fixing the curb rash on one of my wheels. I believe they said they had to remove the glass to fix the creak. I've only driven 150 miles since then, but so far it's been wonderful to have a quiet car again. Forgot how much I enjoyed the quietness of the car!

I'm jealous. Mine goes in on Thursday to get the creak fixed, and a few other minor things (paint, sunroof goop, sunroof seal). At least it does sound like they're doing well at tracking down the issue and fixing it, on my last A5 it took multiple visits to cure a rattle from the back.

I've had and still have several creaking noises in the car interior, similar to what others have described in this thread.

1. A creaking noise from the right front passenger side. Whatever part is loose also creates a buzzing resonance with the radio at certain frequencies.
Service 'fixed' this problem several months ago, but it has recently returned, related perhaps to the warmer weather.

2. Creaking pano roof. This was also 'fixed' over a month ago, but has recently returned.

3. The driver seat belt tightener rattles.

All of these noises are annoying, and what's even more irritating is that service has not managed to fix them permanently. I took the car in again on Monday to have them
try to solve this, but after keeping the car all day all they could report was that they didn't have the materials said they needed for the repair. On a positive note, the service center said they had recently received a service bulletin from Tesla outlining how to fix these problems, so with any luck maybe next time they will get it right.

After 4+ months and 4700 miles, my Pano developed this creak today. The car had sat out in the sun, and driving in a parking lot over speed bumps and over uneven sections, especially withe wheel turned so that the car flexes a little, the noise was pretty loud. The roof was in 12% vent mode at the time.

Unfortunately, the noise in the pano roof is back again. It started very slight when it was cold day. Now it's getting worse and worse. Still not almost constant like it was previously.

I also have the very annoying noise in the seat belt retractor. Last time the car was in for service they the service person made a big deal about how they knew what it was and could fix it. Two days later it was back.

Mines back too...it's hotting up here now, so it's becoming progressively worse. Also noticed it gets a little loud when I've got passengers in the car, I guess because the car flexes a little more. Will book it back in in a few weeks, hopefully when there's some Tesla loaners, I don't want to go trough the Enterprise process again.

Santa Monica service guys found a fix for at least one type of roof creak. They had to remove the cover for the center upper cross beam, and tightened something over the A pillar. Fixed it right away. Took about 15 minutes.

All -

Had mine in for the fix a couple of weeks ago. Never completely fixed the problem (actually a new sound appeared in a new place after the fix). Well the other day it came back with a vengeance and is actually worse than it was before the fix.... I suspect the hot/cold weather had something to do with it.

Luckily I have another appointment for them to look at it again in a couple of weeks.... Anyone that gets this problem fixed, let us know please!

Thanks Lloyd for your feedback!

Aaron

Santa Monica service guys found a fix for at least one type of roof creak. They had to remove the cover for the center upper cross beam, and tightened something over the A pillar. Fixed it right away. Took about 15 minutes.

According to the tech notes, the 'solution' for mine was to insert some shims, so maybe I need your fix as well to completely clear it. Damn all those people last year saying to avoid the pano roof, it's just going to be trouble...!

For anyone still having the panoramic roof creaking noises, I called my service center in Queens, NY and they knew of the problem and the fix so I brought it in and was ready to go a couple of hours later. No noise at all post service. It appears the technicians have identified the problem and found the fix. I hope this is the same experience for everyone going forward.

As it appears this is a well-known problem, and there's a fix in hte field for it... is ther eany indication that new cars from the factory have been revised to incorporate this fix?

Has anybody who's taken delivery in April/May had an issue with the Pano Roof noise?

Thanks.

For anyone still having the panoramic roof creaking noises, I called my service center in Queens, NY and they knew of the problem and the fix so I brought it in and was ready to go a couple of hours later. No noise at all post service. It appears the technicians have identified the problem and found the fix. I hope this is the same experience for everyone going forward.

thank-you-jesus.jpg

I'm not sure it is a permanent fix. The service centers have all been saying they have "the fix" and it does back again everytime. A least the Costa Mesa center is saying the fix is still be worked on at the factory.
Let us know is a week or 2 and warm weather if it is still making the noise.