Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paralysis by Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really excited to get back to driving electric, and have researched everything to death to the point of ADD.

My wife and I love the style, luxury of the Genesis GV60 but the MYLR really is the no-brainer choice even though we feel it's quality is inferior. There are so many of them on the road because it really is the complete package. $5000 incentive (in Canada) that the GV60 doesn't qualify for, lower price, longer range, Tesla's seamless technology integration, and much better resale value.

Yes, I've seen YouTube videos from a couple of Tesla owners that went from a Y to a GV60, then back to the Y but I feel they tend to put far too much emphasis on the importance of the charging network and technology than the car itself. Like most EV owners, we'll be doing short trips and charging at home.

The emotional right side of my brain wants the Genesis, while the analytical left side says go with the Tesla. It's an internal struggle, and I'm paralyzed. Anyway, not sure if anyone is going through this.

We recently bought a YLR for my wife. She did NOT want a Tesla.

We didn’t drive a GV60 but did test an EV6, Mach-E, ID.4, RAV4 Prime, and even a BMW iX just to switch things up a bit - in addition to the Y.

Somewhat reluctantly, the Y was the clear winner for our needs. Nothing else has the same combination of space, efficiency, value, and a workable driver interface. The ID.4 was a distant second.

I'm really excited to get back to driving electric, and have researched everything to death to the point of ADD.

My wife and I love the style, luxury of the Genesis GV60 but the MYLR really is the no-brainer choice even though we feel it's quality is inferior. There are so many of them on the road because it really is the complete package. $5000 incentive (in Canada) that the GV60 doesn't qualify for, lower price, longer range, Tesla's seamless technology integration, and much better resale value.

Yes, I've seen YouTube videos from a couple of Tesla owners that went from a Y to a GV60, then back to the Y but I feel they tend to put far too much emphasis on the importance of the charging network and technology than the car itself. Like most EV owners, we'll be doing short trips and charging at home.

The emotional right side of my brain wants the Genesis, while the analytical left side says go with the Tesla. It's an internal struggle, and I'm paralyzed. Anyway, not sure if anyone is going through this.
Have you driven them?

Test drive is the key. The longer the better, obviously. To the point of rent one if you can. Turo might be an option for that.

I'm just so happy there are more feasible options these days for electric vehicles in North America. It wasn't that long ago that the only realistic option was a Nissan Leaf (which is a good car, by the way).

The Tesla Model Y is ... universal. We essentially use ours as a small pickup, and a minivan, and a road tripper, and a commuter car. It's no wonder it sells so well.

Now I'm really looking forward to the Rivian R2 and R3.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Test drive is the key. The longer the better, obviously. To the point of rent one if you can. Turo might be an option for that.

I'm just so happy there are more feasible options these days for electric vehicles in North America. It wasn't that long ago that the only realistic option was a Nissan Leaf (which is a good car, by the way).

The Tesla Model Y is ... universal. We essentially use ours as a small pickup, and a minivan, and a road tripper, and a commuter car. It's no wonder it sells so well.

Now I'm really looking forward to the Rivian R2 and R3.
The R2 seems to be better than the MY in almost every way (radar, USS, stalks, dual screens, off-road capability, suspension, etc.).

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex and cdswm3
On my 4th Tesla, if support and talking to someone is important to you, and not driving an hour to a service facility then avoid Tesla. It is the Southwest Airlines of the auto world. Tesla uses AI in their customer support, if you have a reservation you are in the queue, if you have taken delivery then your options to actually talk to someone are limited. If you have a standard issue go to the app and log a ticket. Anything non-standard like say, your title work was not sent to the DMV, you did not get the items you ordered with the car like charger, or trays or mats, sorry you are not allowed to talk to anyone. First thing to do IF you buy a Tesla is to write a letter and opt out of arbitration if you have an issue, you have to pay for that too. Oh have a flat tire, Tesla promises service, good luck with that. Since you do not have a spare and the towing options are limited be sure to have a plan.

Want to close your air vents on right side while the driver has them open, sorry you cant do that. It is the real simple things that are issues, got a sudden storm and massive water on the windshield, hope you can wait for the 2-3 seconds for the wipers to respond, think about that for awhile you are driving 50 miles an hour and cant see, now count one thousand one, one thousand two... I live in a very sunny place 90% of the time no rain. but this just happened to me...its real, tried to voice the wipers on but my passenger was saying I cant see and the computer heard both of us at the same time and did nothing... had to use my thumb but for some reason the wiper did not respond, all this took over 7 seconds, I must of not touched the button correctly in the urgency, it was a WTF moment in a Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
got a sudden storm and massive water on the windshield, hope you can wait for the 2-3 seconds for the wipers to respond, think about that for awhile you are driving 50 miles an hour and cant see, now count one thousand one, one thousand two...
there is a button (either on the left stalk or in the steering wheel) to immediately activate the wipers

Any opportunity to rent a Model Y? The only real way to gauge the more subjective aspects of a vehicle are spend some time with it, ideally at least a few hundred miles of driving.

got a sudden storm and massive water on the windshield, hope you can wait for the 2-3 seconds for the wipers to respond, think about that for awhile you are driving 50 miles an hour and cant see, now count one thousand one, one thousand two...

Over dramatic much? Model Y, at the moment, has physical stalks. You can press the left stalk button to trigger one wipe, and then use the scroll wheel to adjust wiper speed. This works just fine, there's no 3 second delay.

I haven't driven a stalk-less vehicle to say first hand if hitting the steering wheel button is hard (but I can't imagine it's a problem).

I purchased a MYLR AWD and have found it to be great. You say that the quality is "inferior" to the GV60, but don't specify which quality it is that you find inferior, so it is difficult to provide feedback. Perhaps the GV60 has more luxury appointments?

From what I have read in reliable sources (Bloombery NEF), the MYLR has a higher efficiency drive train any Hyundai (including Genesis) and high efficiancy (lower carbon output) manufacturing. I love the handling and I like a stiff suspension. Maybe you prefer a cushier ride? The MY has terrific utility, with generous cargo space, roomy rear seats, and for me, a comfortable riding position. The audio system is really good, the turn by turn navigation works great, and overall I have found the interface easy to adjust to. Regen braking and one pedal driving (with friction brake assist) are fine and as a driver's car, I find it terrific. Basic autopilot has been excellent (for me) and these days I'm having some fun with full self driving (undecided on that). What's not to like?

As far as customer service goes, I have no complaints. Tesla called me (a human being) a few weeks after purchase to make sure everything was okay, the particular car that I purchased has no flaws, and the single trivial issue I had was addressed promptly (the passenger vanity mirror became unstuck). As far as Musk haters are concerned, well, I am one of them, but Tesla is a company, not a person, with over 100,000 employees who are not named Musk. At least they hasn't been selling planet destroying fossil fuel cars for decades, as have all other major manufacturers. And the pricing of the Model Y is more than fair. Perhaps you could clarify what it is about the Genesis that you find attractive.

The Tesla software is light years ahead of the GV60. We have a 4 year old Tesla and having software that is up to date and always improving is magical. We have a 2 year old EV6 and the software is the weakest part of the car. I know any new features in the EV6 will require a new car purchase. How sad.

I purchased a MYLR AWD and have found it to be great. You say that the quality is "inferior" to the GV60, but don't specify which quality it is that you find inferior, so it is difficult to provide feedback. Perhaps the GV60 has more luxury appointments?

As far as customer service goes, I have no complaints. Tesla called me (a human being) a few weeks after purchase to make sure everything was okay, the particular car that I purchased has no flaws, and the single trivial issue I had was addressed promptly (the passenger vanity mirror became unstuck). As far as Musk haters are concerned, well, I am one of them, but Tesla is a company, not a person, with over 100,000 employees who are not named Musk. At least they hasn't been selling planet destroying fossil fuel cars for decades, as have all other major manufacturers. And the pricing of the Model Y is more than fair. Perhaps you could clarify what it is about the Genesis that you find attractive.
Of course things are subjective, but we love the GV60's performance trim's interior - specifically the nappa leather seats, and the beautiful cabin materials. The ride is softer, quieter. We've become accustomed to driving Mercedes and Audi's for years, and never had to go into the delivery experience with a pre-delivery checklist before (which seems common with Tesla).

I actually did order a MYLR in 2021 but it arrived with a hood that wouldn't close, and honestly the delivery experience was so piss poor, we walked away and bought a Lexus hybrid the next day (I needed a car, and sold my Mercedes B250e the day before picking up the MY). The Lexus was of course - perfect, as we expected it would be, and the advisor was a pleasure to deal with. No drama.

Years later, I've come to realize that I really miss driving electric. Not because I'm looking to save the planet...just because we prefer the drive.