Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked in a garage with 18% charge and no plug, will I be able to drive home later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car Sunday and planned on trickle charging and hitting a super charger or two until i could get my outlet installed in my garage.

Well, trickle charging doesn't work from any outlets i can reach, so i was planning on taking it to a supercharger or a level 2 tonight.

Got a warning to charge immediately when i parked today, so can you guys give me your expert opinion on how screwed I'll be even i go to me car today?
I have a friend who can drive me to a level to charger at lunch and i think i can leave it there for a few hours.

I'm at 18 percent and I'm parked in a parking deck. It's 40 to 45 degrees today.

Will i lose a ton of charge by sitting in this weather? My plan was to drive home via the day care, drop off the baby, and get to a level 2 charger tonight with like 8 percent remaining. Is that not going to work?

Outlet is going in before Christmas. I just need to get through a couple weeks!
Make sure you are NOT in sentry mode. You will lose about 5% in 8 hours due to the medium cold weather.

I might add here that the Tesla Model 3 has a comically low vampire drain, at least for me. We are talking about well below 1km/day if you let the car sleep. Even then, the majority of the drain seems to come from the car waking itself up every couple of days to do some tesla shinannigans for a couple of hours.

I think most systems that draw power from the traction battery shut down when below 20%. I recently read that the 12V AGM battery will continue to top off the voltage until the traction battery reaches zero. I had previously assumed the 12v top off also stopped at below 20%. Might be nice if there was an option to turn off the 12V battery top off at say 10% this would allow driving to a place to charge instead of having to flatbed the car; however, if the 12V battery dies, you would need to open the frunk with a 9V battery and jump the 12V battery to drive to a charging location. Might also have to replace the 12V battery after a full discharge to low voltage.

Last edited:
I think most systems that draw power from the traction battery shut down when below 20%. I recently read that the 12V AGM battery will continue to top off the voltage until the traction battery reaches zero. I had previously assumed the 12v top off also stopped at below 20%. Might be nice if there was an option to turn off the 12V battery top off at say 10% this would allow driving to a place to charge instead of having to flatbed the car; however, if the 12V battery dies, you would need to open the frunk with a 9V battery and jump the 12V battery to drive to a charging location. Might also have to replace the 12V battery after a full discharge to low voltage.

If you know you are leaving the car for a long time, you can disconnect the 12 V battery in the frunk. You should be good for many months that way. You can open the frunk without juice by using the emergency cords on the left side. See the Emergency Responders Information on details.

Obviously with the battery disconnected the doors won't open, there is no sentry, you can't monitor the car, no updates, etc. It will be just like disconnecting your ICE car battery. You may lose some of your presets, too.