Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part Exchange Payment Not Paid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I p/x my old car with Tesla on 9th December and am due £10,500 back. Tesla have never paid this and nobody can tell me when it’s getting paid. The UK team can’t get any answers and the US just aren’t replying to them or me.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Stopping short of getting solicitors involved, does anyone have any recommendations?

What was the deal? Some kind of lease? The normal part exchange deal is it reduces the price of the new car (hence the name), you never see that money.

Or are you saying your old car was worth £10k more than a new Tesla? Suspect that would have to be dealt with specially as it'd be pretty unusual.

It's a situation described on Tesla's website, so can't be that uncommon.

Frequently Asked Questions – Order & Delivery

"What happens if the trade-in value is higher than the price of my new Tesla?
If the trade-in value is higher than the price of your new Tesla order, Tesla will refund the difference to the bank details you provide, after your delivery. For Tesla to process the wire transfer, provide your Tesla Advisor with the following information: account holder name, IBAN and BIC code. Once Tesla receives the trade-in car, the payment process time can take up to two weeks."

Elsewhere on the same page, they even offer the option for cash back on a trade-in.

Just checked my bank account and see that Audi took their usual monthly charge at the end of December despite Tesla having my Audi A4 for 11 days and supposed to be paying off the the final settlement figure. Also checking the Audi Finance website it looks like the final balloon payment is still due the end of this month.

That'll be another call to Audi to get a new settlement figure and a call to Tesla Finance to confirm their actually going to buy the car I left with them nearly 3 weeks ago!

I had a not dissimilar situation where I had an unsecured loan on my trade in which I settled myself and then took out the EST interest free loan available in Scotland to finance my M3.

This then left a fairly hefty sum due back to me from Tesla given the value of my trade in which I received within a week of the changeover.

I had the same issue back in September.
It took a month to get paid the excess from my p/X.

I had to contact them numerous times and each time they said "I will escalate/forward your request". I was royally p###d off and passed from pillar to post. Had to sent proof(!!) That I sold them my car, e-sign a contract that I had already signed.
They asked for my bank account details probably 5 times...even though I had already hand signed a contract on site. Total meas and just writing this get my blood boiling.

Here are a few email addresses you can try. Phoning them didn't seem to do anything as they just fobbed me off and said they would get back to me.

Moderator comment - removed named Tesla contacts
[email protected]
[email protected]

I got the money in the end and I think it comes from Holland. Internal comms I'm Tesla sea to be quite poor.

I still LOVE the car, but their post sale support is pretty crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robmathieson
Just checked my bank account and see that Audi took their usual monthly charge at the end of December despite Tesla having my Audi A4 for 11 days and supposed to be paying off the the final settlement figure. Also checking the Audi Finance website it looks like the final balloon payment is still due the end of this month.

That'll be another call to Audi to get a new settlement figure and a call to Tesla Finance to confirm their actually going to buy the car I left with them nearly 3 weeks ago!
Similar boat at me.

They took me old Merc and were meant to be clearing the settlement figure (I sent them 1st December with expiry 30th December) they still haven't cleared it and that settlement figure has since expired.

Ive rang up and been told not to worry it's all being sorted as the car now belong to them and they will settle it. Part of me highly doubts it and looking forward to the headache to come

Similar boat at me.

They took me old Merc and were meant to be clearing the settlement figure (I sent them 1st December with expiry 30th December) they still haven't cleared it and that settlement figure has since expired.

Ive rang up and been told not to worry it's all being sorted as the car now belong to them and they will settle it. Part of me highly doubts it and looking forward to the headache to come

Presumably you aren't making any more monthly payments, and I'd be slightly worried about whether that could result in a late payment/default on your credit file, as the finance co will be expecting the usual monthly payment.

All the Tesla refunds are processed from Amsterdam.
I waited weeks for a sizeable 5 figure refund with lots of email ping pong going nowhere
I took a Kindle and sat in the West Drayton Showroom until I spoke to someone who clearly knew what they were talking about (went through about 3 lackeys) and were prepared to put their name to ensuring it was sorted out within a couple of days.
It took about 2 hours of being politely assertive but it did the trick.
Which reminds me, I still haven't finished that Grisham....

Reactions: DJP31 and CMc1
At the end of this I’ll publish the email addresses of the people I’ve had to deal with so other people can use them in the future.

Edited after gaining official TMC Administrators guidance.

Moderator comment - Please don't. Publishing personally identifiable information such as the email address of individuals within an organisation without their permission is against TMC rules.

Last edited:
Sounds like I got lucky, I used about half the trade-in value of my old car as deposit and got the remainder about three working days after I handed it over - surprised me as I was expecting it to at least be the turn of the year.

I had a similar situation here in the US, but it was even more ridiculous (although it was far less personally harming than being owed a large sum of money to be sure!)

On my old Model 3, I traded in my VW GTi, which still had part loan outstanding to VW Credit. First of all, getting Tesla to call VW Credit to get the payoff amount (which for some legal reason here in the US VW Credit cannot supply to me, they can only supply to the party taking the trade directly) involved about 5 threatening phone calls to the person processing my paperwork. Utlimately she called back saying "I had to hang up, I was on hold too long.....can't you just not trade in the car and we can take it off the deal?"

I mean, seriously?
It gets better.

The only way Tesla finally got the payoff was the person at the sales gallery I was dealing with called VW Credit and got the payoff amount. But wait, we're not done yet.

I get my car, and the next month I get a bill from VW Credit. I call them up and tell them, I don't have the car anymore, Tesla does. They look in the system, verify it, and say, you're good, don't send a payment.

Next month I get another bill, which includes last month's amount plus penalty. Again, I call and say "I sold the car, don't send me any more bills". Turns out, Tesla had already sent them the payoff amount within 3 days of taking my car, however they had failed to return the paperwork required for VW to close out the account! Which means VW still hadn't sent them the title! So Tesla is out the money they paid on the trade, and weren't legally allowed to do anything with it for 60 days. They just sat on a dead asset and couldn't even process it to their wholesaler, because someone internally hadn't sent over the right paperwork.

What an absolute joke.

To the OP, I hope you get your money soon. If not, start tweeting Elon and @'ing some people guaranteed to give him a hard time. Sad that's the only thing that seems to get their attention.

Called Tesla again today and apparently my settlement figure was paid on the 8th and can take 14 days to clear, called Audi they've not had it yet but there's still a week to go.

Hopefully that'll be it and it'll just be a case of getting Tesla to reimburse me the December payment I made to Audi that Tesla have now subsequently overpaid...

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Just to drag this post up one more time...

I checked my bank account this morning and VW/Audi had credited me a months payment and after calling them they confirmed Tesla have now paid the whole thing off and that the overpayment (they paid based on Decembers settlement figure despite me already paying that month) was refunded to me.

So all sorted, now on to getting some PPF fitted in the Bedford services blackhole...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but after PX my car and now waiting four weeks I still haven't had the money transferred to my account. Again I love my new Tesla, but it would be nice if the actually paid me the money that they owe me, I wonder if they would be so considerate if I didn't pay my monthly finance payments to them...