TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pearl Multi-coat vs standard white

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Electric1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Electric1

Electric1 Member

I have until tomorrow evening to finalize and my last decision is about color. I will choose between drop dead beautiful Pearl (which may be hard to/and expensive to match - particularly on the bumpers which are bound to get scratched often in an urban environment) and the Standard white.

Other than the obvious, does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

(Such a first world problem)

Thanks

Howard

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I love the Pearl White but that's just a personal opinion of course. I'd go with that.

3. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

i went with standard white. Easier to match.

4. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

How often do you do paint touch-ups on other cars you've owned? Is it really something you have to worry about often?

We went with the Pearl White and absolutely adore it. It's the closest thing to a bright, vibrant color in the original production palette, and it positively sparkles in the sun (how much sun you get may be another deciding factor.) There's no wrong choice, of course. No matter what direction you lean you'll be driving a Model S!

5. dsm363

I believe you can get touch up paint from Tesla if that makes the decision easier. I'd double check with Tesla about that though. Good luck!

6. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Thanks to all of you who have been answering. dsm363- TM claims that the paint will be available, as a three layer process, which will make touch up difficult to match without doing large areas.

7. dsm363

Makes sense. Hard to go wrong with the Model S. Looks great in any color. Guess it comes down to if you like the pearl white better than the possible troubles touch up will cause. Maybe get pearl white and extensive pain armor? I had the entire hood done and the rest is the factory install.

8. swegman

swegman Member

Does the pearl in the paint make it easier for radar to detect the car, compared to the white paint?

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Standard white if you like contrast with black rims and spoiler. It's sporty. Pearl if like you classier grayish white. I went sporty and bold.

10. logan

logan Member

Agreed. I ordered a 85kWh Performance and think the plain white looks great with the grey wheels and CF spoiler. Also getting my windows tinted. Just depends on the look you want.

11. ddruz

ddruz Member

Both whites look awesome. You cannot go wrong with either. If it is a toss up for you and $1500 is inconsequential in your decision why not get the standard white and donate $1500 to a worthy charity?

12. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Stormtrooper Edition!

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

If you view the color samples at a Tesla store, and look closely, you will notice an important difference between white and pearl white. Pearl white makes the curves in the sheet metal more visible. When viewing the concave surface of the color sample on the wall, this difference is fairly obvious. On the car itself, pearl white gives the sides of the car a more sculpted 3-D look than plain white does. This pearl paint is a very fine metallic, almost looking as if it's a blend of silver and white. Very pretty.

As for paint repairs, any body shop that regularly works on Audi and Mercedes-Benz cars should have no problem with the pearl paint.

14. swegman

swegman Member

Tedd, interesting. The Tesla sales peopke told me just the opposite, saying the white makes the curves stand out more. Wish I could see both colors on the car side by side.

15. jandkw

jandkw Member

I saw the standard white in person while I test drove the S in DC and love it. It was a easy decision for me. Do I want to look further on the Pearl White with additional $1500 charge? I don't think so.

16. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Don't look! I wish I had never seen the Pearl or I would not have had to start this discussion. Interesting point that I read on a paint blog is that some think that metalic finishes hide imperfections/minor damages better than plain finishes. More confuusion and 16 hours to press the button. Thanks again to all!

17. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#17 ToddRLockwood, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Sometimes, but not often, you can see the difference in photos. Both whites tend to get washed out in digital images, as is the case in Tesla's "10-Colors" sampler on their web site: Photos Videos | Tesla Motors The pearl effect shown in the Design Studio, while helpful, is probably a photoshop manipulation. But if you see a pearl Model S in person, especially under the Tesla Store lighting, it is quite stunning.

After I get my car, I'm planning to have it photographed in a large commercial photo studio, with the goal of getting the pearl paint to really pop. I'll post those photos sometime in the spring.

18. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I was dead set on white (or pearl white) when I went on a test drive. I drove a pearl white (a really dirty one). I ended up getting green.

I thought the pearl white was gorgeous, even when dirty!

19. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I got the solid white. Honestly, it's really hard to tell the difference except in very specific circumstances.

One of these cars is pearl, and one is solid:

IMG_0131.jpg

20. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

The pearl causes shading around some of the edges. I think the white looks smoother and more uniform. Someone posted pics a long time ago here to show it and conceived me of white. The pearl coat is nice and elegant though.