Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl white paint failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the ideas. I did state in my original post that it is all the way around the car. That means including the bumpers, although admittedly it is somewhat less evident on the plastic parts. I'm pretty sure that rules out rust or brake dust (I don't think you can get brake dust on the front bumper...unless you drive in reverse a lot.) However, a fingernail test tells me the spots are raised. I'll have to try the clay bar to see if that will do the trick. If so, like @jjrandorin, I'll find a professional do the whole job for me.

I've never seen anything like this on any car I have owned, which is upwards of twenty at this point. My other current ride is a white Porsche 911 that is 20 years old with 10 times the mileage, and it doesn't have any such spots; paint chips from road debris, yes (I call it my chip magnet), but no orange spots. That car does not have PPF, either.

Thanks for all the ideas. I did state in my original post that it is all the way around the car. That means including the bumpers, although admittedly it is somewhat less evident on the plastic parts. I'm pretty sure that rules out rust or brake dust (I don't think you can get brake dust on the front bumper...unless you drive in reverse a lot.) However, a fingernail test tells me the spots are raised. I'll have to try the clay bar to see if that will do the trick. If so, like @jjrandorin, I'll find a professional do the whole job for me.

I've never seen anything like this on any car I have owned, which is upwards of twenty at this point. My other current ride is a white Porsche 911 that is 20 years old with 10 times the mileage, and it doesn't have any such spots; paint chips from road debris, yes (I call it my chip magnet), but no orange spots. That car does not have PPF, either.
It is not car specific. Those things got on the paint at some point somewhere. You cannot prevent that. It is pure luck or no luck in your case.
I'd not clay bar it. Go straight to polish option which will remove those orange things and restore the entire car clear coat surface.

Wash the car well and then try a clay bar. Clay is amazing. If you drop the bar which is easy to do, throw it away right then. Don’t use it, don’t try to clean it, don’t cut off the dirty bits, throw it away.

cheffromage: I'm curious, have you ever had the car detailed? Polished? Clay barred? If not, these bits of iron/steel may have been in the paint since shipping from Fremont.
Let us know how this turns out. Several here, myself included, think these spots might be superficial enough to be polished out.

Good luck!

cheffromage: I'm curious, have you ever had the car detailed? Polished? Clay barred? If not, these bits of iron/steel may have been in the paint since shipping from Fremont.
Let us know how this turns out. Several here, myself included, think these spots might be superficial enough to be polished out.

Good luck!
most not likely from the factory. If it was from the factory, embedded under the paint, that means OP lost all clear coat in that area which is highly unlikely.

Not from the factory, but embedded in the clear coat during shipment. Tesla ships their cars very soon after manufacture, while the paint isn't fully cured (IMHO...even modern paints improve/harden after 30 days of curing).

Does Tesla only truck their cars (I've seen dozens of trucks on I10, I20, Teslas unwrapped, unprotected) or are they shipped by train??? The iron bits, IIRC, are from train shipping.

Not from the factory, but embedded in the clear coat during shipment. Tesla ships their cars very soon after manufacture, while the paint isn't fully cured (IMHO...even modern paints improve/harden after 30 days of curing).

Does Tesla only truck their cars (I've seen dozens of trucks on I10, I20, Teslas unwrapped, unprotected) or are they shipped by train??? The iron bits, IIRC, are from train shipping.
Unlikely in my opinion. It it was from the shipping they will show up pretty much right away, not after 11k miles. We don't even know whether they are iron bits or some kind of particle splash or even something else.

So just for fun I googled "what are the orange freckles on my car paint" and the first hit was Remove Orange Spots from White Paint
which just proves that whatever it is you may be seeking, it's out there somewhere. 😝

The "freckle" population is increasing over time so I can't think it likely the cause has been there since transport snd delivery. But what about this: does all the electric current running around in the car create a magnetic field? It does, of course, but how strong? If it can attract iron dust, perhaps we are all unwittingly frying our gonads. 😁

So just for fun I googled "what are the orange freckles on my car paint" and the first hit was Remove Orange Spots from White Paint
which just proves that whatever it is you may be seeking, it's out there somewhere. 😝

The "freckle" population is increasing over time so I can't think it likely the cause has been there since transport snd delivery. But what about this: does all the electric current running around in the car create a magnetic field? It does, of course, but how strong? If it can attract iron dust, perhaps we are all unwittingly frying our gonads. 😁
This happens on all cars. It’s just more noticeable on white. It’s not very likely that it happened during transport. Some could have attached on the transport truck, but most is from daily use.

I’ve had them on my white bmw, and now my white Tesla.
They are on our other white tesla, and also can be seen on our grey Kia Stinger.
I doubt magnetisms mad much if anything to do with it. You can find them on plastic bumpers, just as much as steel rockers.
It’s just metal fragments in the clear coat. They come off with the right material.

You want to get yourself some iron remover and spray on the panel to test and confirm that it is embedded iron contaminants. The orange spots will start "bleeding" a deep red/purple a minute after applying if they are embedded iron contaminants. One of the most popular iron removers is Carpro Iron X but more difficult to acquire other than specialty detailer stores. A cheaper or more available product is Meguiars Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. Don't worry it is safe for your car paint as most rims are painted just like the car. If very stuborn, consider multiple applications with light agitation.

Claying and polishing will work but I would not recommend over using a iron remover as they can induce paint marring (clay bar) or remove thin layer of paint (polishing). Use the right tool for the job.

Attachments

• FC625EC2-916D-4623-87F2-7C06391E253E.png
    FC625EC2-916D-4623-87F2-7C06391E253E.png
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • 4857CE88-2FA1-414E-A242-513BBC8BCA00.png
    4857CE88-2FA1-414E-A242-513BBC8BCA00.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • B7024142-C8E3-4CC6-85FE-7387B691E70D.png
    B7024142-C8E3-4CC6-85FE-7387B691E70D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48