Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Noise Maker Retrofit for 2017/2018 Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, you are the first person I have heard that actually wants this feature installed.

Meh, I think I do too - mostly for cyclists in NYC (at least the ones not wearning headphones). I can tell many can't hear me coming behind them and our streets are quite narrow, so a sudden swerve can occur. Obviously I give them a huge amount of space, but honking sounds aggressive so some low-level noise would actually be useful.

It will re enabled when I can get the Jetsons' transporter noise on it.
I will be double damned if I will pay a penalty because pedestrians can't be bothered to look both ways.
Certainly, people with certain disabilities deserve a little extra, but that's kinda why I have eyes. And a
horn.
Cop type strobes in the backup lights and a limited time backup beep I will underwrite. But to dumb down my car to suit the masses and the headset wearing nitwit pedestrians? No sir. Go ahead, write me a ticket. Then in court I will show evidence that there are quite a few ICEs which are very quiet and difficult to hear approaching.

I can't even hear it with the windows up - except in reverse but only if I really pay attention. I like the idea that jaywalkers can hear something while they stare down at their phones and step into traffic. Not sure why you would disable it and I can see why you might want it added.

I like the balance in your statement. It goes against my grain to disable stock features in cars. Always has, going back to when it was trendy to disable emissions devices. And, I actually like the reverse tone, especially as it increases in frequency as your backing velocity increases. I don't know why the same sound isn't used going forward. It all goes away above parking lot speeds anyway - which means it won't be useful to warn cyclists, as one poster mentioned. There have been tragedies in our community involving backing over small children in driveways. We are asked to tolerate a very small inconvenience that could well prevent such a thing. That's my take, but then I'm older.

Kids have been getting backed over by ICE vehicles for decades. A noise maker will not solve the problem of one not knowing their surroundings combined with kids being kids.

The noise maker law is a feel good legislation just like many things. A law for the purpose of making people feel that they will be safer. Reality be damned.