Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian warning system add on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you install it... you'll pay less (only software "activation", aka boombox).
That's my experience.
I’ve tried half a dozen times through 2 service centres to get them to activate the software if I add the hardware,and I’ve been told on all occasions that they won’t activate the software unless there’s proof of purchase directly from them. So this isn’t guaranteed.

2 questions,

Can you turn off the external noise when you try and open door and screen says that you need to use keycard? Hopefully a one off but its going to get tiresome at 5am start. Hoping its just a one of when first collecting car after fitting and car was still geofenced so not recognising us.

Apart from boombox that I have not explored, any other settings that I should be aware of? Apart from one occasion, I cant hear any pedestrian warning noises. Speaker certainly works. Wondering if its a setting or something. Manual looks like it should just work.

I'll try a reset later (main screen spontaneously rebooted itself just prior to drive when it worked the once) and possibly a fart...

Thanks. After several reboots (one intentional and a couple earlier when screen just rebooted itself) the reverse spaceship seems to have worked over a couple of drives. Previously, first drive after a reboot it would work, but then subsequently not. Iirc this was the behaviour when some people fitted their own speaker but didn’t get it properly enabled. So sounds like it either had not been coded when we collected or it needed a proper ‘steering’ reboot to stick. Car had firmware updated during SC visit.

Anyway, as long as it remains working then happy. No one, in particular school kids, could not claim that they didn’t hear us reversing off our drive and blame it on a silent EV.

As for forward, it’s quite different noise and very subtle - not that I have yet to confirm that ours was actually working, but I happened to be recently walking past a slow moving Model 3/Y and it was definitely making some noise (or they were driving on a flat tyre), but hard to identify what it was. My take was that the car was just louder than it would otherwise have been without being any specific noise. Unlike reversing, not sure though if it’s obvious enough for when you are stalking people around a car park! Is that when fart mode comes in handy?

As for forward, it’s quite different noise and very subtle - not that I have yet to confirm that ours was actually working, but I happened to be recently walking past a slow moving Model 3/Y and it was definitely making some noise (or they were driving on a flat tyre), but hard to identify what it was. My take was that the car was just louder than it would otherwise have been without being any specific noise.

Ours definitely makes a noise in forward, even without moving. Certainly audible in car with window down. Sounds similar to as described above - indeed a bit like squidgy length of tube being rapidly ‘worked’/spun. We were getting a sound reflection off a wall but clearly audible but probably just gets lost in the background in normal use.