Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla called me back and said they can’t offer the software activation if I fit the speaker myself. But in the same call they also said they don’t do retrofits for it at all.

Not sure that’s the definitive answer I was looking for because it sounds like that particular rep isn’t even aware of the retrofit service, so I’ll be trying again when I get my 12v and air filters replaced.
So I've had another conversation with Tesla and they're refusing to activate software for PWS retrofits they don't have a parts order record for. Either this is a recent thing or it's still dependent on the rep you talk to.

Makes sense, they have an official retrofit for it. Why would they tolerate customers buying & fitting the speakers themselves to bypass this?

It is in their interests (financial and in terms of comeback - who is responsible if it goes wrong? are they to be expected to maintain a record of who has had this work done where the customer supplied & fitted the part themselves and those that didn't?) to only activate the software as part of the official retrofit procedure.

That said - I'm sure it probably does come down to which service centre you happen to speak to. I had to pay for replacement indicator cameras to get rid of the orange bloom at night, others had it done for free under warranty.

Could you not buy the speaker from them and get it done that way? Would presumably still be cheaper if you're not paying labour to fit it?

They'd have their parts order record for it then.

Having said that - they probably mean the SKU for the whole retrofit, which is different to just the speaker.

Could you not buy the speaker from them and get it done that way? Would presumably still be cheaper if you're not paying labour to fit it?

They'd have their parts order record for it then.

Having said that - they probably mean the SKU for the whole retrofit, which is different to just the speaker.

I couldn’t find the ability to buy just the part. Reading between the lines they wouldn’t offer that opportunity anyway.

A tad frustrating considering the speaker itself can’t be worth more than £50 (probably less to manufacture), and there are people out there more than capable of fitting parts like this independently.

Makes sense, they have an official retrofit for it. Why would they tolerate customers buying & fitting the speakers themselves to bypass this?

It is in their interests (financial and in terms of comeback - who is responsible if it goes wrong? are they to be expected to maintain a record of who has had this work done where the customer supplied & fitted the part themselves and those that didn't?) to only activate the software as part of the official retrofit procedure.

That said - I'm sure it probably does come down to which service centre you happen to speak to. I had to pay for replacement indicator cameras to get rid of the orange bloom at night, others had it done for free under warranty.

What do you mean orange bloom at night? My side cameras clearly pickup the orange from the signal light which I thought was normal?

Is there a video I could see which compares them? Just trying to figure out if mine would get any better or not
This was mine before I had them replaced:

The newer ones have nothing like that sort of light bleed , you basically can barely tell the indicators are on.

Tesla quietly started fitting improved ones about a year ago. I tried to get mine replaced under warranty but was knocked back, told that “parts are being revised all of the time, the light bleed isn’t considered a defect” etc. A few others were able to argue for free replacements.

I basically couldn’t live with the blind spot feature on at night, the light bloom was far too distracting. Now it’s perfectly useable asas intended.

The cameras (whole replacement indicators) were around £100 each, with a small labour cost to get them fitted and coded.

The newer ones have nothing like that sort of light bleed , you basically can barely tell the indicators are on.

Tesla quietly started fitting improved ones about a year ago. I tried to get mine replaced under warranty but was knocked back, told that “parts are being revised all of the time, the light bleed isn’t considered a defect” etc. A few others were able to argue for free replacements.

I basically couldn’t live with the blind spot feature on at night, the light bloom was far too distracting. Now it’s perfectly useable asas intended.

The cameras (whole replacement indicators) were around £100 each, with a small labour cost to get them fitted and coded.
Thanks, that's really interesting. Do you have a video of what they look like now to compare please?

There's nothing to automate or configure, and no API control for it. If the PWS is installed, and the car is coded for it, it'll use it per Tesla's design. If it's not coded to the car it won't work at all, except possibly very briefly after a reboot.

Did you not try the modification first before purchasing new cameras/indicators?

I've been so busy (and I'm retired - should have all the time in the world) that I haven't got around to modifying mine yet, the bleed is significant so I don't have the feature activated - and not sure even if the mod works fine I would ever look at the screen rather than the mirrors and turning my head - old habits die hard - so I don't think its worth me spending any money on them - unless I cock up the mod.