Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can play media or built in sounds in the car, when parked, using the horn.

Via the app you can make the car fart, and you can talk through the PWS (sounding like a budget Vader).

That’s about it. In the US they used to be able to have a sound playing while driving, or summoning. Neither has ever been available in Europe (illegal) and whatever the motoring body is in the States banned it over there too, leading to Tesla removing it (to some outrage).

• Helpful
Reactions: m3p_uk
I'm confused about whether my M3 would be compatible.
I have a 2021 model, picked it up in Dec 2020 and it doesn't have the speaker.
It has holes in the underside, but I'm reluctant to pull the frunk apart to check for wiring.
Is it worth just paying the £185 from the site and seeing what happens?

I'm confused about whether my M3 would be compatible.
I have a 2021 model, picked it up in Dec 2020 and it doesn't have the speaker.
It has holes in the underside, but I'm reluctant to pull the frunk apart to check for wiring.
Is it worth just paying the £185 from the site and seeing what happens?
going through the frunk does nothing, just turn the wheels to the left and remove a couple of trim clips from the front nearside wheelarch, then peel back the liner a bit, you can peer in there and see if the wire is present

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I’ve asked the service team if they’d activate the software if I fit it myself. If they say yes then I’ll order a speaker and fit it.

Not bothered about warranty because if it breaks I could potentially order another speaker and refit myself and it would still be cheaper than the retrofit service.
Tesla called me back and said they can’t offer the software activation if I fit the speaker myself. But in the same call they also said they don’t do retrofits for it at all.

Not sure that’s the definitive answer I was looking for because it sounds like that particular rep isn’t even aware of the retrofit service, so I’ll be trying again when I get my 12v and air filters replaced.

Tesla called me back and said they can’t offer the software activation if I fit the speaker myself. But in the same call they also said they don’t do retrofits for it at all.

Not sure that’s the definitive answer I was looking for because it sounds like that particular rep isn’t even aware of the retrofit service, so I’ll be trying again when I get my 12v and air filters replaced.
Why are you replacing your 12v?

I was checking under the bumper after grounding out earlier and noticed the grill on the underside in front of the RHS wheel. But my car isn’t suitable for the retrofit, apparently. 😒🤦‍♂️
If it were me I'd open another service request and say that I had "looked behind the wheel well and I can see the connector taped up and the grill where the PWS would be fitted, therefore I believe it is compatible. I would buy and fit the speaker myself and get you guys to activate it but I'd rather have it done as a fully warrantied job", and see where I got.

Clearly not all service centres are not as clued up as others.

I think all UK model 3s have the connector.. mine was a pretty early 2019 one and had it. Tesla really don't need to ask about compatibility in the UK - unless someone tries to have one fitted that already has a speaker or something it's not going to be an issue.

There is a chance Tesla snipped it from the loom in a "mid refresh", it has been known to happen. Annoyingly my car was in that 6 month window where Tesla decided to stop fitting dimming wing mirrors, and modified the loom accordingly. Some people have reported the latest cars coming without the USB data connector that was previously taped up (non data USB hub supplied), etc.

You're probably right though in this instance. I would take the presence of the grill as a good indicator that the cable is present and tied up there, and if that's the case there's no reason it can't be retrofitted.

Reactions: James-R10
There is a chance Tesla snipped it from the loom in a "mid refresh", it has been known to happen. Annoyingly my car was in that 6 month window where Tesla decided to stop fitting dimming wing mirrors, and modified the loom accordingly. Some people have reported the latest cars coming without the USB data connector that was previously taped up (non data USB hub supplied), etc.

You're probably right though in this instance. I would take the presence of the grill as a good indicator that the cable is present and tied up there, and if that's the case there's no reason it can't be retrofitted.
Wait they took away auto dimming mirrors??