Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2.5 is on its second PEM in under 28k miles (since 2011)!
The latest PEM (new not refurbished I was assured by Tesla UK) was installed in Oct 2017 and they threw in an extended warranty for it too (luckily).

The car was charged up today (7kw Standard). I drove it no more than 200m when it came to a halt with Powertrain Errors and had to be recovered. I attach screen shots. I’ve tried several times to get it going again without success.

The car is also now failing to charge: It quits with the same power train error message in < 1 min and the charge port then flashes red before it tries again....and so on.

By the look of the debug messages it seems ominously like a PEM IGBT issue, but last time it happened it would still accept charge. I’m wondering if it could be something else in the PEM seeing as it happened immediately after a charge? Coincidence? Prior to this it has been running great without any indications of an impending problem. Would be wonderful if it turns out to be something simple like a loose cable

Any ideas, thoughts or things to try? I have logs available too.

Currently waiting for the tech at Tesla UK to get back to me too.

Thanks.

Ray.

E804791C-FB4B-4B1F-B5ED-60D5319BB1D5.jpeg 792950D0-ABAC-4D90-9015-40272557E691.jpeg

My 2.5 is on its second PEM in under 28k miles (since 2011)!
The latest PEM (new not refurbished I was assured by Tesla UK) was installed in Oct 2017 and they threw in an extended warranty for it too (luckily).

The car was charged up today (7kw Standard). I drove it no more than 200m when it came to a halt with Powertrain Errors and had to be recovered. I attach screen shots. I’ve tried several times to get it going again without success.

The car is also now failing to charge: It quits with the same power train error message in < 1 min and the charge port then flashes red before it tries again....and so on.

By the look of the debug messages it seems ominously like a PEM IGBT issue, but last time it happened it would still accept charge. I’m wondering if it could be something else in the PEM seeing as it happened immediately after a charge? Coincidence? Prior to this it has been running great without any indications of an impending problem. Would be wonderful if it turns out to be something simple like a loose cable

Any ideas, thoughts or things to try? I have logs available too.

Currently waiting for the tech at Tesla UK to get back to me too.

Thanks.

Ray.

View attachment 468969 View attachment 468970

Did you figure out what the reason was?