Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest, the original fans are SPAL type 009-A70-74D 12V.

SPAL USA

They are only IP33 rated which seems a bit low as water / dust can come from any direction. Given the application / location they should be IP55. Not had time to look through the spal website but perhaps they do something in the same casing with more protection?

My new fan seems to have picked up a problem :-( sounds like there's something stuck in the blades and it's also squealing (similar to the squealing noises prior to the old fans failing). Ugh.

Soooooo Tesla replaced my fan (the new one) -- much better. I have m4a (iPhone-recorded) files of before & after..

Busted: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14132951/Busted.m4a
Fixed: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14132951/Fixed.m4a

Nothing was obviously wrong with the unit, so they're going to check it out in the shop.

Today I took my car out to a back road and did 20 cycles of full throttle to 100 kph followed by hard braking. My main goal was to clean the corrosion and crud off my brake rotors (which it did), but I was also interested in how the new cooling fans would handle it. You wouldn't use that much power even on a track! Outdoor temperature was about 14C, so cool but not cold. After 20 cycles of acceleration and braking I pulled over and stopped.

The PEM temperature stayed under 40C until the very end, when I did the last 6 cycles back-to-back as fast as I could. It peaked at 48.5C but was back under 40C a minute later, and down to 30C in two minutes. I've never seen it drop like a stone like that before. These new fans are much more powerful!

The motor gradually rose to 74C and I got a power limit after I finished my last cycle (as it happens I stopped because I ran out of road, not because of the power limit). After stopping the motor was back to 59.5C after three minutes. The power limit was gone and I drove off normally. The fans stayed on for a while after I parked.

During all this the battery went from 20C to 32C. The cooling loop was running of course but it did not engage the A/C or front fans.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
I believe they're replacing them as needed.

The original fans simply couldn't cope with the conditions here in Canada. Even if you don't drive in snow you still end up ingesting residual road salt. The Rangers had been replacing quite a lot of fans, some more than once, and that's a priority repair because dead fans means the car is not drivable. They figured they'd eventually have to do all of them anyway, so they just went ahead and did all of them at once.

Before I had the new improved fan & shroud installed, I went through 2 replacement sets of PEM & Motor fans (over the period of 1 year)...however, I use my Roadster as a daily driver, year round...so far, the new improved fan is working very well!

Hmm. I think I hear my fan being too loud now too:smile:. Just had my annual service though so will have to wait unless it breaks. I use it as a daily driver although will drive it less once the Model S gets here.

Before I had the new improved fan & shroud installed, I went through 2 replacement sets of PEM & Motor fans (over the period of 1 year)...however, I use my Roadster as a daily driver, year round...so far, the new improved fan is working very well!

I bet that's one reason they offered the new replacement shroud. Cost cutting on labor and parts. Like those carpets.

How warm is too warm for the motor? My OVMS is reporting mid 50s C when parked. It's not plugged in during the day at work. Just curious, if plugged in and not charging, does the Roadster use the wall power to cool things off or it only does with charging? Thanks.