Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pen that’s safe to keep in the car?

superfunk

Aug 16, 2019
Colorado
Maybe an unusual question. I like to keep a pen in the car, but there’s always a risk that on a hot day it will spew ink in the console tray. Do you have a recommendation of a car-durable pen?

superfunk

Aug 16, 2019
Colorado
Seriously? It's just a car.
Not the car my friend...the other stuff in the tray that gets covered in ink. I’ve had pens leak twice in hot cars and make a huge mess of all the stuff in the tray. If somebody who’s been through this had a recommendation, it’s worth asking. The Fisher space pen was a helpful idea though, so thanks to @MorrisonHiker !

jkoya

NA2 NSX
Nov 21, 2018
Northern CA
Had to go to Tempe, AZ in July for work. While renting a car at Hertz, they made us sign an agreement, that if we left an ink pen in the car and it exploded, we were responsible for all charges required to clean the car. According to Hertz, it happens more often than people think, due to the extreme summer heat. I just remember it was so hot I couldn't even touch the door handle on the outside and the steering wheel on the inside. The business I was at didn't have any trees, only cactus, which didn't provide any shade......

SigNC

Aug 23, 2017
NC
is this like the the old joke about how much money nasa spent working on a pen that would work in space.......and USSR just used a pencil.

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
is this like the the old joke about how much money nasa spent working on a pen that would work in space.......and USSR just used a pencil.
You know that's just a joke? American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts used pencils for a period, but graphite is electrically conductive and broken pencil tips are a major hazard for electronics in space. Plus pencils are flammable! In reality, NASA did not pay for the development of the "space pen". They only paid to purchase pens in bulk, paying $2.89 a pen, the same price the Russians paid for the same pen.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe an unusual question. I like to keep a pen in the car, but there’s always a risk that on a hot day it will spew ink in the console tray. Do you have a recommendation of a car-durable pen?
You can get one of the compartmentalized organizer trays for the center console, and keep all your bombs pens in one subtray.

Reactions: superfunk

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC