Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perelli PZ4 or Michelin PS4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't made my way through my first set of Pirellis yet. I did like the PS4s on my last M3P. I got 36k out of the first set and was working on the second set. The Pirellis seem to drive fine aside from being all stretched to the wheel but that's the wheel's fault. I'm definitely getting more road feel out of the new setup but that too may be the wheels and less sidewall. Im probably going to just base it on how far I get out of the pirellis. If I can get 30k out of them in normal for me driving Ill keep using them. If the croak at 20k Ill go back to michelin.

Thanks for a great read

I will re-read your post a few more time before my decision. I think I will move over to Michelins but I will I move from 235 to 245, that's what I will now be considering

Once again, thanks

But then you seem to like the Potenza Sport. I'm going to take another look
@JimShaw For the PS4S on the 20x9" Uberturbines I would probably skip 245, and either get the Tesla spec 235/35R20 (only the T0 / T1 Tesla spec in that size!), or go big with the 255/35R20 regular version - which if I recall correctly people on these forums have shown it fits (clears the knuckle up front) - but please verify that yourself don't take my word for it!

As I recall, the tires that have trouble fitting in 255/35R20 are usually allseasons that come with taller tread. Most summer performance tires come with shorter tread and fit - but definitely do your own due diligence on this.

I really liked the Potenza Sport. Besides the improved grip, they felt sharp and responsive even in 245/45R18 (much taller sidewall). However be aware they do have more road noise than the Tesla OEM foam-lined PZ4. I didn't find the Potenza Sport too loud at all, I've had much louder performance tires and I thought the Potenza Sport were totally fine in that regard, also no complaints from my wife, but they weren't the quietest performance tires either - the OEM PZ4 win that award in my experience. I've no idea how the PS4S noise level compares...but I would guess the Tesla spec foam lined PS4S would be a bit quieter than the Potenza Sport, but not as quiet as the Tesla spec PZ4.

The Potenza Sport were much quieter than the PZ4 in hard driving though. That matters to me. ;)

Basically if you like driving you car hard and fast and sometimes approaching its limits, the Potenza Sport are great for that. PS4S should be too. On the flip side if you liked how quiet the PZ4 were in more casual driving, and never felt they lacked grip, then maybe they're the better tire for you.

Might want to re-read that test article.

I did, my conclusions still stand.
Look at the data (or the summary graph, below), not the verbal fluff that accompanies each tire's subjective review.
ROAD MANNERS & DRY/WET TRACK (Higher number is better):

1672167579671.png

PZ4 wins in the wet by a lot, PS4S in the dry by a little.
PZ4 wins overall on ride quality and quietness.

I'm not a bit fan of Pirelli tires, but the TR results are usually sound.

For those who can wait a month or two, Micheline has launched PS5 and Primacy 4+ tires, but real world sizes availability is still limited:
Michelin - Launch of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport 5 and MICHELIN Primacy 4+ tires

Reactions: XPsionic
@JimShaw For the PS4S on the 20x9" Uberturbines I would probably skip 245, and either get the Tesla spec 235/35R20 (only the T0 / T1 Tesla spec in that size!), or go big with the 255/35R20 regular version - which if I recall correctly people on these forums have shown it fits (clears the knuckle up front) - but please verify that yourself don't take my word for it!

As I recall, the tires that have trouble fitting in 255/35R20 are usually allseasons that come with taller tread. Most summer performance tires come with shorter tread and fit - but definitely do your own due diligence on this.

I really liked the Potenza Sport. Besides the improved grip, they felt sharp and responsive even in 245/45R18 (much taller sidewall). However be aware they do have more road noise than the Tesla OEM foam-lined PZ4. I didn't find the Potenza Sport too loud at all, I've had much louder performance tires and I thought the Potenza Sport were totally fine in that regard, also no complaints from my wife, but they weren't the quietest performance tires either - the OEM PZ4 win that award in my experience. I've no idea how the PS4S noise level compares...but I would guess the Tesla spec foam lined PS4S would be a bit quieter than the Potenza Sport, but not as quiet as the Tesla spec PZ4.

The Potenza Sport were much quieter than the PZ4 in hard driving though. That matters to me. ;)

Basically if you like driving you car hard and fast and sometimes approaching its limits, the Potenza Sport are great for that. PS4S should be too. On the flip side if you liked how quiet the PZ4 were in more casual driving, and never felt they lacked grip, then maybe they're the better tire for you.

I'm really not that fast or lose driver. I like the feel of the car taking off 0-60 and shutting before hitting 50MPH. I do like the car quiet and less bumpy as possible. The PZ4's have done a good job but wonder if the SP4S would be about the same but with a tad sticker tire.

I've decided to "skip" (as you suggested) the 245 and stay with 235-35-R20 and go with either Tesla's OEM PS4S or Tesla's OEM PZ4

Getting it narowed down, thanks for your help

Reactions: tm1v2
Why is it nobody mentioned Continental or Goodyear tires. Tire Rack does. They are much cheaper and serve the purpose.
I guess it depends on the question being asked. Since “what’s the cheapest tire that meets the requirements?” wasn’t the question, the Continentals and Goodyears aren’t part of the discussion in a best tire conversation. I would argue most don’t need any of these performance tires for just street use but that wasn’t being asked either.

Reactions: tm1v2
I have ran both tires on my tesla's. I prefer the Michelin Tires, not only have the lasted a bit longer and ride considerably better. But their warranty program has been a god send as a I only get about 17/18k miles out of a set and through warranty it doesn't hurt as much to replace them every year. I also find them to communicate better than Pirelli when they come close to losing grip.

• Informative
Reactions: JimShaw and tm1v2
I have ran both tires on my tesla's. I prefer the Michelin Tires, not only have the lasted a bit longer and ride considerably better. But their warranty program has been a god send as a I only get about 17/18k miles out of a set and through warranty it doesn't hurt as much to replace them every year. I also find them to communicate better than Pirelli when they come close to losing grip.

I have read the Michelin SP4S aren't as efficient as the Perelli PZ4 because their tires are stickier. Have you found that to be true?

I have read the Michelin SP4S aren't as efficient as the Perelli PZ4 because their tires are stickier. Have you found that to be true?
@JimShaw If you're remotely concerned about efficiency, skip both the 20" OEM tires and downsize to 18x8.5" wheels.

With 18x8.5" wheels and either 245/45R18 (my preferred size) or 235/45R18 (base Model 3 OEM size) you'll get better efficiency than stock M3P, easily, with any of these tires.

My efficiency went up after switching from the OEM 2021 M3P setup to 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport on 18x8m5" forged wheels, even though the Potenza Sport grip better than the PZ4. I doubt the tire itself is more efficient, I think it's all from the smaller and much lighter wheels. (I'm sure less weight helps of course. I think shorter spokes / taller sidewall helps too because it's probably more aerodynamic. Just a guess.)

The Uberturbines look awesome, almost like a concept car wheel. I was sad to take them off. But good looks is unfortunately all they have going for them. With the new setup I got better grip, better power steering response, better ride, better wheel protection from bad pavement/potholes, and cheaper tires - all at the same time.

I made the change mainly for the wheel protection, because I know from experience the roads I drive on can crack big Tesla OEM wheels with rubberband tires. The efficiency and grip improvements were pleasant surprises. If our roads were better maintained I might still be rocking the Uberturbines though, I really like how they look on this car.

I’ve just replaced the stock Pirelli P zero elect’s to Michelin PS4S TO on my 2021 M3P. The Pirelli’s lasted 23k, so have no complaints! I’ve always gone with Michelin on all my previous performance cars, mainly due to longevity and feel. Though I have to admit, I much preferred the look of the Pirelli’s on the Uberturbine wheel than how they look on the Michelins. How the sidewall stretched showed the wheel off much better. Where as the Michelin looks wider and covers the wheel more, so makes them look smaller and more like the long range and standard wheels. Though the Pirelli’s were useless in cold wet conditions. On looks alone I may go back to the P Zeros next time? But from my own experience and as others have mentioned, I’m sure the PS4S is the better tire all year round. Decisions decisions…..

If my tires lasted only 23k, I'd have pleanty complaints. My current tires, Continental, have 32K, with tread left. And to me they look very good with stock 2018 19" rims. And I drive sensibly.
For a performance car with around 500bhp 23k is pretty decent. Having previously had BMW M and Mercedes AMG cars with similar power, it would be around half that, esp rears! I also drive sensibly, and only push the car hard on country roads, away from towns and cities. But also, everyone’s opinion is different on how slow or fast they drive. You can drive very fast and very sensibly, given the correct setting and circumstances.

If my tires lasted only 23k, I'd have pleanty complaints. My current tires, Continental, have 32K, with tread left. And to me they look very good with stock 2018 19" rims. And I drive sensibly.
@Radlaw Your stock 19" Continental allseason tires aren't comparable to the ~ 300TW "max performance" category summer tires being discussed here.

If you're happy running longer-lasting all seasons year round, great! For those of us who like a highly responsive and grippy summer tire, allseasons just won't do (except as winter tires in mild winter climates).

Btw Conti makes tires in this category and they're pretty good. They also won't last as long as your allseasons.

My wife's 2012 SLK 350 came with some Pirelli UHP summer only tires. The rears wore out at 18K miles. The fronts lasted not much longer. This is not unusual in UHP sticky tires. It is the trade off.

If the tires lasted 30K miles but you hated every minute of it would that make you happier?

Great discussion on the OEM Pirellis and the Michelins! I must admit, I’m very disappointed with the stock PZ4s, with only 7k miles I have 2 bubbles from the potholes and rough roads on Long Island. I replaced one tire with the same Pirelli PZ4 (didn’t trust the bubble) but now considering a change out of all tires to the Michelins. Can I expect the Michelins to hold up better to potholes, given more of a sidewall? Thanks in advance.

Great discussion on the OEM Pirellis and the Michelins! I must admit, I’m very disappointed with the stock PZ4s, with only 7k miles I have 2 bubbles from the potholes and rough roads on Long Island. I replaced one tire with the same Pirelli PZ4 (didn’t trust the bubble) but now considering a change out of all tires to the Michelins. Can I expect the Michelins to hold up better to potholes, given more of a sidewall? Thanks in advance.
@mm9351 Honestly for Long Island roads I think you're lucky only the tires failed, and not any of the wheels. I recommend downsizing to smaller diameter wheels before buying a full set of new tires.

I'd want 18" for Long Island. Even 19" would still give useful extra sidewall to protect the rim.

My experience with older Michelin summer tires (Pilot Sport 2) in a similar short sidewall size (245/35R21) on similar giant Tesla wheels (20x8.5"), is the tires were good, but it's too little sidewall to protect big cast Tesla wheels from the rougher roads out there.

model_s_cracked_tesla_rim.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
@mm9351 Honestly for Long Island roads I think you're lucky only the tires failed, and not any of the wheels. I recommend downsizing to smaller diameter wheels before buying a full set of new tires.

I'd want 18" for Long Island. Even 19" would still give useful extra sidewall to protect the rim.

My experience with older Michelin summer tires (Pilot Sport 2) in a similar short sidewall size (245/35R21) on similar giant Tesla wheels (20x8.5"), is the tires were good, but it's too little sidewall to protect big cast Tesla wheels from the rougher roads out there.

View attachment 906279
That is painful!