Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perf Y Spoiler coming off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

I just noticed the spoiler is coming unglued on the passenger side of the car. I schedule a service with Tesla but they want me to sign a contract to replace the spoiler for $800.

I've hard the car for 2 months. This seems crazy. But is this normal?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Hi guys.

I just noticed the spoiler is coming unglued on the passenger side of the car. I schedule a service with Tesla but they want me to sign a contract to replace the spoiler for $800.

I've hard the car for 2 months. This seems crazy. But is this normal?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Ask the Service Center if you really are expected to pay $800.

They usually email an estimate cost to replace, but will bill it as "warranty" in the end. I'd call to make sure.

The Performance 3 does the same thing and is replaced under warranty but you do get an estimate for the costs because if the defect is not a defect and rather from outside influence then Tesla expects to be reimbursed and wants the customer to be prepared to pay. This is standard for any manufacturer if the defect isn’t actually a defect. I do think they may also send estimates to discourage frivolous warranty requests. I am a bit annoyed that they don’t just remove and reapply good quality adhesion tape and reinstall the spoiler if only the tape fails, likely due to poor installation. I hate needless waste

Yes, it was loose on my Model Y performance right off the delivery truck. The service tech is bringing a new one as soon as he recieves the part. The adhesive tape is not in the correct place from the factory.

Ouch, well I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago on My Y, came loose on driver side.I would definitely get clarification. This spoiler design has a well know history of this problem. Hundreds of posts with ppl having spoiler issues on the 3P, not properly aligned While installing was a known cause, etc., this was one constant complaint back then and still happens also it’s the same part design for the Y. At this point it’s just a badly designed part. IMO So push back if they want you to pay. Of course unless there is visible evidence of tampering etc, then they can charge you, just calmly explain your point to the S/C.
Ps. On picture of my old spoiler, my hand is not doing any pull or pressure, that’s was the gap/separation.

Attachments

• 7324BECC-B7B6-4C70-8F1B-B346A9D7D1FC.jpeg
    7324BECC-B7B6-4C70-8F1B-B346A9D7D1FC.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 1,105
I think the spoiler is not the right shape for the hatch. it's too big, so the tape have to actually bend the spoiler to get it closer to the hatch, but the tape is not strong enough to hold it under tension like that.

Mine was coming off shortly after delivery. I got the car XPel wrapped so they installer had to remove and reinstall it . Then it pulled away again, and the XPel Installer removed and reinstalled it with stronger tape. That lasted about a day. :(

I doubt Tesla Service will fix mine at this point since it was removed by the XPel installer. And unless they have a new part that is the same shape as the hat edge, it's just going to keep coming off.

I think I'll just remove it, which is too bad, since I do like it a lot. The spoiler coming off is really my only complaint about the Model Y. I really love the car.

Is there any reason to take it off for service ever? I'm wondering why not just glue it down with a more permanent adhesive?

Anything strong would probably eat through the paint, causing that to fail and the spoiler would still come off. The real solution would be to bolt it down or just omit it. I doubt a spoiler that comes off by it's own tension is really doing much anyways. Looks nice but that $800 could buy us a heated steering wheel and some other improvements.

Someone should design a black 3d printed part to fill the corner gaps everyone gets. It's only a couple millimeters.

You could also try black silicone on the edges. In my experience it doesn't damage paint.

Lastly there is urethane adhesive. This is what GM used for a recall when Hummer h3 hood louvers started flying off. It's strong enough that mine did not come off for 15 years but some people removed theirs on purpose and cleaned it somehow. Tesla should put a dab in each corner.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182RGDP8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_0U9XEbN85GEJT

I actually have an oem model 3 spoiler I got from eBay for $70. Not sure how I'm going to attach it yet. Honestly I'm not sure if it looks good on the car either.