Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm suppose to be picking up my P3D+ there within a month. I didn't know you could request that?

To those who are picking up their P3D+ within the next few months w/ winter and snow approaching, the stock summer tires are going to be scary to drive. I'm wondering if Tesla will be able to switch tires for me or give me All Season tires instead of their summer tires?
My personal experience with my local (NJ) service centers is the following:
1. Tesla will not swap out the 4S tires with another tire for you. They don’t currently have any all-season tires available for the 20” wheel. I had Tesla lift my car up and give me the wheels, which I then took to a place to get the tires swapped out. I brought them back to Tesla to put them back on and take the car off the lift. I don’t yet trust others to properly lift the car (me being extra cautious). Unfortunately, the place I took them to managed to scuff up and nick my brand new wheels, so that extra hassle was made worse with the rim damage.

2. Tesla has a 20” wheel/winter tire (pirelli sottozero I believe) package that you can order from the service center, but they do not know when they will come in.

As I wanted something fairly quick due to the incoming cold weather, that is what I did. I did consider aftermarket rims with snow tires, but did not want to do the seasonal wheel swap as I had done in the past.

Alright here ya go! The Continental DWS 06 on OEM 20” wheels.

Check the video description for details.

Overall, the first couple of miles were loud, but they quickly settled in and became just as quiet as the summer tires.

Road feel and noise is pretty much indistinguishable from the Pilot 4Ss.

I did a hard launch, and the tires were struggling with traction at 30mph. Some of this is just the nature of all seasons, of course. If they add a ludicrous mode, I’ll be switching back to my summer tires come spring. For now, I plan for these to be my all-year tire.

By the way, be prepared to explain, and re-explain how the key works on a Model 3. Mine was clearly the first one they’d worked on. Surprising considering nobody should be on summer tires right now!

Oh — and the sound deadening foam seems to be a marketing gimmick. I’d have a very hard time believing it has any effect. It’s like the cheap stuff you can buy on Amazon that doesn’t actually do anything.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PA ZU
I just got my wheels/tires from Tire Rack this weekend. I got some approved 18x8" wheels with the Sottozero 3 (with self seal) in 235/45/18. The provided centering rings seemed to work fine, but it made it really quite difficult to get onto my hubs correctly. (Never had anything so difficult to slide on, but at least I know it's centered!)
At 41psi the drive was smoother than the stock 20's at 38psi. When the sottozero 3's were at 45 psi, they's similar harshness. The handling is clearly reduced, but it seems very reasonable. There is no wobbliness that I had on previous cars with some studless winter tires.
I can provide more pictures if needed.
Also, the new wheels and tires were about 48 pounds, compared to 52.5 pounds for stock.
I haven't driven it enough to see how the efficiency is different, but it seems to be more efficient at slower speeds, with less effect at higher speeds. I've only driven like 100 miles so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_192831.jpg
    IMG_20181020_192831.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20181020_192838.jpg
    IMG_20181020_192838.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 95
I put my Tsportline 18s on tonight, fitment was fine, clearance around the calipers is definitely tight, but we don't get a ton of snow here so I'm not too worried about packing/freezing. They certainly felt lighter than stock moving them across the garage, hah.

I just got my wheels/tires from Tire Rack this weekend. I got some approved 18x8" wheels with the Sottozero 3 (with self seal) in 235/45/18. The provided centering rings seemed to work fine, but it made it really quite difficult to get onto my hubs correctly. (Never had anything so difficult to slide on, but at least I know it's centered!)
At 41psi the drive was smoother than the stock 20's at 38psi. When the sottozero 3's were at 45 psi, they's similar harshness. The handling is clearly reduced, but it seems very reasonable. There is no wobbliness that I had on previous cars with some studless winter tires.
Also, the new wheels and tires were about 48 pounds, compared to 52.5 pounds for stock.
I haven't driven it enough to see how the efficiency is different, but it seems to be more efficient at slower speeds, with less effect at higher speeds. I've only driven like 100 miles so far.

Tire rack is well aware of the the step lip on the model 3 p3d+ And is using special model 3 rings that aren’t as thick and are therefore recessed into the wheel to accomodate the lip. However, definitely with the case with Flow one wheels and it seems like yours too.....the spacer tolerance is too small/tight. Someone else with 18’s was able to get them on but had to rock the wheel on to fully seat the wheel..and when he went to take them off one of the rings was stuck. I took a second try and was able to rock the wheel on and fully seated. But when I tried to immediately take the wheel off....it took a significant amount more effort to rock/pull the wheel back off(like shaking the suspension/car kind of effort). They should be snug but not this difficult. I’m currently in discussion with Tirerack to try and resolve this issue. They don’t seem to think there is an issue...and unless more people call and provide this feedback, they won’t know to fix anything.

I'm suppose to be picking up my P3D+ there within a month. I didn't know you could request that?

To those who are picking up their P3D+ within the next few months w/ winter and snow approaching, the stock summer tires are going to be scary to drive. I'm wondering if Tesla will be able to switch tires for me or give me All Season tires instead of their summer tires?

So when I ordered the model 3 performance with performance upgrade I walked to service while they got my paperwork ready. Nice manager there (no idea what his name is-terrible with that) talked to other service centers and looked in there system. Came back with a winter package not listed on Tesla's site. They are the same rims that come on the performance with performance upgrade but with pirelli winter tires (can't remember the exact name off hand-sorry) .Getting them put on Thursday .

So when I ordered the model 3 performance with performance upgrade I walked to service while they got my paperwork ready. Nice manager there (no idea what his name is-terrible with that) talked to other service centers and looked in there system. Came back with a winter package not listed on Tesla's site. They are the same rims that come on the performance with performance upgrade but with pirelli winter tires (can't remember the exact name off hand-sorry) .Getting them put on Thursday .
Interesting, was this at Westmont center?

So TireRack got back to me. They acknowledged there is an issue with the rings, that they are too small, and will be sending out a revised ring. I would call them and mention how difficult yours were to install and see what they say.

So TireRack got back to me. They acknowledged there is an issue with the rings, that they are too small, and will be sending out a revised ring. I would call them and mention how difficult yours were to install and see what they say.
Thanks for the heads up.
I got an email that they're sending me something today. But it's not clear what it is. I suspect it's new rings, now that I have this info. They say "MM 79.5-64.1 TESLA 3 SPORT".
Hopefully I'm able to get the rims off easily enough. I don't mind giving it a strong wiggle. Seems like it is important to slide it on (and off?) very straight.

Thanks for the heads up.
I got an email that they're sending me something today. But it's not clear what it is. I suspect it's new rings, now that I have this info. They say "MM 79.5-64.1 TESLA 3 SPORT".
Hopefully I'm able to get the rims off easily enough. I don't mind giving it a strong wiggle. Seems like it is important to slide it on (and off?) very straight.

Yup those are the rings....exactly what mine says as well. That’s great that they’re proactively sending them out!!

I just got confirmation from the local service center (Portland, OR) that they got the winter tires for Model 3 performance (20’ inch wheel with performance brake). The tires are Pirelli Sottozero - $2000 installed. New set of 20’ rims are $2600. The prices are very steep. Thoughts?

I wanted to put another data point out there for folks: I got the Pilot Sport A/S 3+s put on last night. I had 1,152 miles of driving on the stock summer tires. After 10 miles of driving on the A/S 3+s, I have to say, I do not notice any differences in ride. Maybe (and I stress "maybe") there is a little more road noise, but I feel like I am straining to find some difference even with that.

Long story short, I was originally thinking about finding another set of stock rims to put the summers on so I could do a seasonal switch. I guess I still might, but at this point, I feel like I’ll stick with the A/S 3+s year round.

Hope this helps someone (as all of you helped me). And good luck!

P.S. – I was really surprised by the sound reducing inserts in the stock tires. Some of the articles I read made it sound like this was a scientific endeavor bordering on splitting the atom. When I picked up my tires last night I saw it is basically packing foam glued to the inside of the tire. Oh well.

I just got confirmation from the local service center (Portland, OR) that they got the winter tires for Model 3 performance (20’ inch wheel with performance brake). The tires are Pirelli Sottozero - $2000 installed. New set of 20’ rims are $2600. The prices are very steep. Thoughts?
$2600 isn't awful for the wheels, especially from OEM. $2000 is slightly steep for the tires, but 20" snows are damn expensive. I went with 18s for that reason. It's hard to find those particular tires in 235/35, but one place I found them in Canada they are ~$455 USD each.

I swear I saw someone post that they were able to fit the 19" sport wheels just fine on the P3D+ and had a few photos, but I can't seem to find it again. Thought it was here and had a look back but didn't see it.

Anyone know where that was?