Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How warm? After charging?

There was no charging involved in this measurement. The car had last been charged a couple days before.
I preceded the measurement with a 40-mile drive on the freeway, stopped for a couple minutes, then started driving again on the freeway for the 100-mile interval. Temperatures were about 70 degrees and it was sunny.

You don't have to believe me; it sounds like you do a fair amount of driving and you understand the issues, so you can always check it yourself. Just have to do a fairly long drive to minimize the effect of rated mile rounding errors.

This is my RWD 18" driving avg, including heavy LA traffic (which helps energy). I doubt AWD will get any better than 250-260.

To be fair, though, you're probably counting heating and HVAC use (you probably don't always have it off?). We're wondering about the BEST possible efficiency here. But, your 236Wh/mi result including all of that is pretty good. I use heat less than most, drive most of my miles NOT on the freeway, and I have 285Wh/mi lifetime in my P3D+. Looking at your results, the difference seems in line with what I would expect. I'd expect I'd be at 220Wh/mi or so, if I drove similarly (with similar minimal heat use) in the RWD. Just ballpark; maybe it would be lower - that vehicle is super efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sneakerhead
To be fair, though, you're probably counting heating and HVAC use (you probably don't always have it off?). We're wondering about the BEST possible efficiency here. But, your 236Wh/mi result including all of that is pretty good. I use heat less than most, drive most of my miles NOT on the freeway, and I have 285Wh/mi lifetime in my P3D+. Looking at your results, the difference seems in line with what I would expect. I'd expect I'd be at 220Wh/mi or so, if I drove similarly (with similar minimal heat use) in the RWD. Just ballpark; maybe it would be lower - that vehicle is super efficient.
I try not to use the heater I'm almost never using the heater since last December. But my aero wheels are off and I do drive spirited. I'm more upset my tires are at 3/32 at 20k miles. So it's about time to change the primacy. It's thinking about the pilot ps4 or A/S pilot sport 3. I know this is an entirely different topic and I apologize. Honestly if I didnt drive like a jackass at times with hubcaps on I can probably do less than 220.

I've got a trip coming up in a week -- I'll be driving from the Plantation, FL Supercharger to Tampa Airport along I75 the whole way. Sunday evening trip -- usually very little traffic. I usually stop along the way and supercharge, but if you guys want some data, I can charge all the way up and go for it in one shot. 2019 05/19 build P3D stock 20".

I'm pretty flexible in the actual drive time, so happy to stick to whatever you guys would want me to try out as far as speed, A/C, AP...

I usually pee halfway through too, so I guess I'll bring an extra bottle...

Last edited:
I've got a trip coming up in a week -- I'll be driving from the Plantation, FL Supercharger to Tampa Airport along I75 the whole way. Sunday evening trip -- usually very little traffic. I usually stop along the way and supercharge, but if you guys want some data, I can charge all the way up and go for it in one shot. 2019 05/19 build P3D stock 20".

I'm pretty flexible in the actual drive time, so happy to stick to whatever you guys would want me to try out as far as speed, A/C, AP...

I usually pee halfway through too, so I guess I'll bring an extra bottle...

Well, obviously it's up to you! If it's raining or windy I wouldn't worry about doing an experiment.

I do think you'll want to supercharge in Tampa if you try to make it in one shot though...no good to leave the battery on empty even for a short time...and it would be tragic if you miss your flight or something in the name of "science." I guess I'm assuming you're catching a flight.

Supercharger to Supercharger it is 252 miles which you should be able to make if you go 65mph. 70mph, not 100% sure.

Even if it makes more sense for you to Supercharge midway through for whatever reason, decent segment lengths at a consistent speed are good data, even if it is not a 100% to 0% discharge.

Whatever you decide, if you decide you want to gather data, do:
1) Reset a trip meter before leaving and
2) Pictures! (Before starting each segment (even if you just took a picture when you stopped) & just as you stop, immediately after putting into park...) Pictures of the screen should include:
a) the rated miles (not %) and time/temp
b) The cumulative relevant trip meter data
c) The specific "segment" (since entering driver's seat and putting in drive) trip data.

That rated-mile use in particular is interesting in combination with the trip meter data, even if you have variable speeds, conditions, etc. There's not really another way to see what you're really on target for.

If you have a GPS app capable of producing an accessible track log with elevation & speed profile, that's helpful to grab for each segment too. Though in Florida the elevation is less significant... I'd recommend Gaia GPS, but actually its ability to actually make good use of the elevation and speed profile is really limited (can't zoom and scale, etc., at least on the app). TeslaFi captures this data apparently, if you have it.

Well, obviously it's up to you! If it's raining or windy I wouldn't worry about doing an experiment.

I do think you'll want to supercharge in Tampa if you try to make it in one shot though...no good to leave the battery on empty even for a short time...and it would be tragic if you miss your flight or something in the name of "science." I guess I'm assuming you're catching a flight.

Supercharger to Supercharger it is 252 miles which you should be able to make if you go 65mph. 70mph, not 100% sure.

Even if it makes more sense for you to Supercharge midway through for whatever reason, decent segment lengths at a consistent speed are good data, even if it is not a 100% to 0% discharge.

Whatever you decide, if you decide you want to gather data, do:
1) Reset a trip meter before leaving and
2) Pictures! (Before starting each segment (even if you just took a picture when you stopped) & just as you stop, immediately after putting into park...) Pictures of the screen should include:
a) the rated miles (not %) and time/temp
b) The cumulative relevant trip meter data
c) The specific "segment" (since entering driver's seat and putting in drive) trip data.

That rated-mile use in particular is interesting in combination with the trip meter data, even if you have variable speeds, conditions, etc. There's not really another way to see what you're really on target for.

If you have a GPS app capable of producing an accessible track log with elevation & speed profile, that's helpful to grab for each segment too. Though in Florida the elevation is less significant... I'd recommend Gaia GPS, but actually its ability to actually make good use of the elevation and speed profile is really limited (can't zoom and scale, etc., at least on the app). TeslaFi captures this data apparently, if you have it.
I live near the airport, so just heading home, no worries about missing a flight. There are a few SCs along the end of the trip; I'd be able to detour if needed. Going to the St Pete Supercharger should be pretty safe.

1: Got it
2a: Got it
2b/c: Can you clarify these a bit? The graphical trip meter from the energy window, correct? Not the consumption graph? and then the Trip card from the Start to Stop?

I am fairly sure that 65mph will lead to greater than 250Wh/mi consumption (but it will be close). 75 mph gives about 275Wh/mi.

In any case, 250Wh/mi (indicated) would result in about 290 miles of range for a full 100% to 0% discharge, by my calculations.

(1 - (65/70)^2) * 100% = 14% less air resistance at 65mph vs 70mph. It shouldn't be close at all.

I checked this over the weekend. At 65mph, I got 255Wh/mi. (Results in 280-285 miles of range, to 0 rated miles displayed.) It was close! Also I think at 75mph the consumption is probably higher than 275Wh/mi (probably closer to 290Wh/mi).

Data points and methodology here:
Disappointing Range in P3D. Is this normal?

I modified my statement to be a max of 85Wh/mi due to aero at 75 mph. But I said absolute max (the higher it is the better improvement you can get by going slower). I actually think it is lower than 85Wh/mi @75mph due to aero losses.

That's bonkers low. That's what I'm saying. Go look at the actual modeling of this people have done. Nothing like that.

You were correct on this, and I was totally wrong. At 65mph, it seems to be around 140Wh/mi (so more like 186Wh/mi due to aero at 75mph).

just have a hard time wrapping my head around why, if the contribution of aero is as large as you say, NO ONE reports better than about 200Wh/mi (230Wh/mi in the P3D+), for modest speeds, for the AWD. I mean, it takes energy to move the car, turn those wheels, overcome that friction.

As I said, had a hard time wrapping my head around why. But it turns out that the hill driving (where I am forced to use regen) really hurts the efficiency as that process is only 70% efficient, or whatever. That made the perceived "floor" of my efficiency artificially high. On a flat test course, my efficiency improved a LOT more at low speeds than I anticipated. In other words, due to the mandatory regen I deal with daily (hills) and general stop and go in my area, the best achievable numbers in the Performance are actually a lot lower than what I normally get.

In typical driving in hilly SD, you never get the numbers that I get on my test course. So, that threw off my perception of the true floor.

Summary: You were right. And, steep hills matter a LOT - they will hurt your efficiency significantly, even for round trips, if regen takes place - the more regen, the more they hurt. For the same reason, stop-and-go hurts - it is crucial to avoid doing any regen, it looks like.

As for 150Wh/mi, it does fit. Go seek out those models you were talking about.

You are correct.
I fit my own model, though I need more data points of higher quality to make it better. As you said,150Wh/mi @70mph fits (it's actually maybe as high as 162Wh/mi). This model is kind of a guess, as I made up the lower speed datapoints. More datapoints on a flat course would be ideal. I haven't compared to the EPA coefficients yet as I'm more interested in my own car here, and the EPA doesn't test the P3D+ (though the aero coefficient should be fairly similar)

Wolfram|Alpha: Making the world’s knowledge computable

And my post with discussion of this (highly speculative) model, which really needs more datapoints from a longer test course:

Disappointing Range in P3D. Is this normal?

Summary of expected ranges in ideal conditions (all to 0 rated miles - of course you can go further beyond that by several miles), using 230-235Wh/rmi constant:
55mph -> 214Wh/mi -> 330-340 miles
65mph -> 255Wh/mi -> 280-285 miles
75mph (extrapolated) -> 295Wh/mi -> 242-247 miles

These are all guesses based on my short test course, and there could be substantial error...need better data...

Last edited:
@Dan_LA

Hi, I know you have this post with a lot of information, I just got my P3D 20', I'm getting about 320wh/mi in city with AC on and 88 degree, not happy with range, I know things getting better by time.. please can you summery your findings here to make us better feeling about it

Thanks

@Dan_LA

Hi, I know you have this post with a lot of information, I just got my P3D 20', I'm getting about 320wh/mi in city with AC on and 88 degree, not happy with range, I know things getting better by time.. please can you summery your findings here to make us better feeling about it

Thanks

Congrats on the new car. First, I'd wait for the usage to settle out. Don't base it on a single drive. And I'd enjoy your car. The list of things:

1) Make sure your tire pressure is around 42PSI "cold" (in the morning before driving).

2) If you drive 80mph, you should expect in excess of 300Wh/mi with the P3D+. You'll do a lot better at 70mph (~275Wh/mi). And even better at 60mph. Aero losses increase with the square of speed, and the aero losses alone at 65mph are something like 140Wh/mi, so going fast is very painful. These are close to minimum, best case, numbers - ones that don't account for AC use/ heating, etc.

3) Don't judge usage based on short drives where the AC starts out blasting. If you have a lot of short drives, your efficiency will be worse because running the AC takes more energy when it is hot in the car. Also don't base usage on ANY single drive, and always look at round-trip usage. Even 100-200 feet elevation gain/loss over a 5-10 mile drive has a noticeable impact on efficiency (either positive or negative).

Wh/mi adder = 1.7kWh/1000ft * elevation gain / distance. So for 200 feet over 10 miles => 34Wh/mi (minimum)

4) Try to avoid braking entirely (without crashing of course), and also try not to use regen, if you care about efficiency (this is difficult in a P3D+). Both of these will hurt your efficiency (braking will hurt more of course).

5) You will need to get about 230Wh/mi to get the full 310 miles of range out of a 310 to 0 discharge. This is probably never going to happen for you. (I average about 260Wh/mi in San Diego, but don't do a lot of freeway driving.) In a perfectly flat area, driving under 55mph at a constant speed, without using climate control, it is possible to get about 230Wh/mi in a P3D+. But that's just not a common situation.

6) The EPA rating of 310 miles does not apply to the P3D+. It is a low "take rate" car, and does not get a separate EPA rating. If you want to approximate the EPA rating, you need to find a way to get aero wheels to fit, and you need to install MXM4s.

Mostly, just enjoy the car. You don't get a P3D+ because you wanted efficiency - you would stick with the SR+ (which has nearly as much range :) ) if you wanted that.

Last edited:
I replaced my 20" (30lb) wheels and 235/35 tires with 18" forged (18lb 6oz) wheels and Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires 245/45-18.
Yes one size bigger than stock. They were on sale for $175.
I got almost enough from the sale of my "performance" wheels and tires to pay for the replacements.
So now I have a much better ride a lot more sidewall (remember there is no spare) and much lower Wh/mile.
I am very happy. No the Primacys are not as sticky as the OEM but they do not spin when I hop on it.
If I want a set of track tires and wheels, I'll buy them later.

I replaced my 20" (30lb) wheels and 235/35 tires with 18" forged (18lb 6oz) wheels and Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires 245/45-18.
Yes one size bigger than stock. They were on sale for $175.
I got almost enough from the sale of my "performance" wheels and tires to pay for the replacements.
So now I have a much better ride a lot more sidewall (remember there is no spare) and much lower Wh/mile.
I am very happy. No the Primacys are not as sticky as the OEM but they do not spin when I hop on it.
If I want a set of track tires and wheels, I'll buy them later.
Which 18" wheels did you go with to fit on the P3D?

Just FYI:

I have an AWD 18" no aero wheels.

California. 8000mi.

I use AC 100% of the time except during our few month winter where I occasionally used the heater and rarely got full regen.

Regularly drive 70+mph on freeways and drive however I want on surface streets (as I did with my ICE car - some fast starts, some gliding here and there). I use autopilot almost every moment its available, and its not very good at efficient throttle.

250 wh/mi average lifetime, right on the nose.
(250 wh/mi out of 78 kWh = 312mi per theoretical full pack)

I keep charge between 45 and 75%.

I've driven in dense traffic like Friday afternoon hell across Southern California, and gotten below 200 wh/mi, which means way over 310mi.

Last edited:
Back on June 6th, I passed 20,000 miles on my July 2018 build/August-delivered P3D- last week. I kept the aeros on for about 50% of those miles, and the 20K spanned the tail end of last summer, fall, a full New England winter, and most of this spring.....

EDIT: This Wednesday, I'm installing T-sportline springs to drop it ~1" (and bring it closer to the P3D+ ride height, as well as putting on MIchelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/19 mounted on TSW Watkins 19x8.5 (square setup)

I didn't want the 20s, because of New England roads. 19's with good tires is a good compromise. Also, it saves me ~1.5lbs on each corner in unsprung weight compared to the OEM 18s.

IMG_20190606_160627.jpg

250 wh/mi out of 78 kWh = 312mi per theoretical full pack)

Probably closer to:

230Wh/rmi / (250Wh/mi) * 310rmi = 285 miles

(Next time you do a longer trip you can confirm this rated miles constant...this number is based on N of 2.)

That will take you to 0 miles. I would guess you can probably go another 5-10 miles after that.

So probably closer to 290-295 miles.

The most likely reason for the discrepancy with your calculation is the meter reads a several % low.

Probably closer to:

230Wh/rmi / (250Wh/mi) * 310rmi = 285 miles

(Next time you do a longer trip you can confirm this rated miles constant...this number is based on N of 2.)

That will take you to 0 miles. I would guess you can probably go another 5-10 miles after that.

So probably closer to 290-295 miles.

The most likely reason for the discrepancy with your calculation is the meter reads a several % low.

I can't claim how accurate Tesla's readings are if that's what you mean.

Got 24.4 firmware update yesterday and just had a 112 mile roundtrip today. When I got home I was shocked at the efficiency numbers. 232 Wh/mi with zero net elevation change. Average speed was roughly 48 mph with 75 mph cruising when traffic permitted.

20190725_221036.jpg

TeslaFi pull.

View attachment 434299

Doesn’t seem too shocking to me? I believe you can hit even higher efficiency at lower speeds. I’m not sure what the optimum speed is for purely range. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.