Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So best times are by stomping on pedal vs. launch control, having creep mode off (why does this make a difference?) and slip mode on. Anything else (other than Max Power enabled and 90+% charge)?

Definitely helpful:
- charge to 100%
- Max power battery heat
- stomp pedal (with a wind up) instead of launch mode
- shallow stage (give more running room before tripping the start clock)

Probably helpful:
- creep mode off
- slip mode on (if tire and track conditions allow? can you spin too much in some cases?)
- take out the Chademo adopter and all other junk in the trunk/frunk
- run car with fewer heavy options (no pano, UHFS, power hatch, dbl charger etc.)
- lighter wheels and tires (19 instead of 21)

Who knows? (no data to back up some of these speculations)
- adjust SAS (make it lower?)
- turn off all other elec load in car esp Ac/heater (not even DRLs etc.? 12v probably doesn't matter? )
- lower (raise?) tire pressure
- fold side mirrors

Who knows? (no data to back up some of these speculations)
- adjust SAS (make it lower?)
- turn off all other elec load in car esp Ac/heater (not even DRLs etc.? 12v probably doesn't matter? )
- lower (raise?) tire pressure
- fold side mirrors

Has someone been able to drive with the mirrors folded? I haven't tried but I don't recall seeing a setting to allow it. Maybe if they are manually folded after the car is started.

Gotcha - well assuming creep mode on but car was at a complete stop (flat road) I assume no difference?

Except with creep mode on the car won't be stopped on a flat road, unless the brakes are on.

Has someone been able to drive with the mirrors folded? I haven't tried but I don't recall seeing a setting to allow it. Maybe if they are manually folded after the car is started.

The mirrors don't fold on their own at speed, as the manual suggests that they do. So if you fold the mirrors, they will stay folded.

Got my upgraded P85D back last night and took it out this morning for some quick initial testing. Sorry I don't have hard numbers like the folks above, but I would like to take it to the local track in the near future to see how it does. We've had some rain recently so my drive this morning was somewhat subdued by wet roads, but I could still tell there is a big difference between Insane Mode and Ludicrous Mode.
[/MEDIA]

Interesting that your traction control kept firing up. That never happens to me with ludicrous unless it's wet or something else to slip on.

I received my upgraded car back today. Below is a graph of my first Ludicrous launch. The car was not particularly warm, I did not use the max battery heating, the pack was at 88% SOC, and I had my all season tires back on the car. It put out 405 kW and did 0-60 in what appears to be a hair over 3.1 seconds That's without roll out, of course.

0-60 3.1 sseconds, 405kw, 88% SOC April 18 2016.jpg

Reactions: benjiejr
I broke my 1/8 mile et and mph by doing 7.082 @ 96.52 and 60' @ 1.580 at Irwindale tonight. Based on DragTimes the 7.082 betters the quickest P90DL of 7.117 by .035 sec. I charged for 2 hours at a nearby ChargePoint to have 92% instead of my usual 87% at Irwindale. My 1/4 mile race will have to wait till July 24 or later as the next race in Fontana is May 14 and my hip replacement will be May 4th.

The highlight of tonight was two red P85DL running two runs side by side. Dan from Canada first run was 7.16 and then he waited for me so the Teslas could put on a show. He ran 7.298 @ 94.89 against my 7.220 @ 95.88. His third run was 7.375 @ 92.80 against my 7.183 @ 95.57. We both felt the water sprinkled on the burn out area hurt our traction. Dan had 21" wheels, mine are 19". He had 2% less charge and had dual chargers. He just stomped on the gas pedal while I used slip mode. Both of our cars were made in December 2014.

George

I broke my 1/8 mile et and mph by doing 7.082 @ 96.52 and 60' @ 1.580 at Irwindale tonight. Based on DragTimes the 7.082 betters the quickest P90DL of 7.117 by .035 sec. I charged for 2 hours at a nearby ChargePoint to have 92% instead of my usual 87% at Irwindale. My 1/4 mile race will have to wait till July 24 or later as the next race in Fontana is May 14 and my hip replacement will be May 4th.

The highlight of tonight was two red P85DL running two runs side by side. Dan from Canada first run was 7.16 and then he waited for me so the Teslas could put on a show. He ran 7.298 @ 94.89 against my 7.220 @ 95.88. His third run was 7.375 @ 92.80 against my 7.183 @ 95.57. We both felt the water sprinkled on the burn out area hurt our traction. Dan had 21" wheels, mine are 19". He had 2% less charge and had dual chargers. He just stomped on the gas pedal while I used slip mode. Both of our cars were made in December 2014.

George

Very helpful and great times there! When you say he stomped and you used slip mode - do you mean you had it in slip-start and you also stomped the gas pedal?

George

That is very impressive.

Dan had 21" wheels, He had 2% less charge and had dual chargers. He just stomped on the gas pedal

mine are 19". I used slip mode. [battery at] 92%

Dan first run was 7.16 [then] 7.298 [then] 7.375

My first run 7.082 [then] @ 7.220 [then] 7.183

So he had the extra weight of the dual chargers and 21" wheels and didn't use slip start.

Did you have similar tires? Stage similarly?

I wonder what most explains the (still pretty small) difference.

Yes I used slip mode but pressed the go pedal quickly bot not actually stomping from above. My times are usually faster at the highest % charge above 90%. Another reason for charging higher is that every subsequent run gets a little slower so you can have more good runs. Staging differences cannot be determined as we stop as soon the second staging light appears to maximize rollout. I do not know how much a second charger adds in weight but I doubt it is very much. The weight difference in wheels could be a factor but Dan had the staggered setup so he should have had more bite. Plus I don't have the $1,000 spoiler.

Yes I used slip mode but pressed the go pedal quickly bot not actually stomping from above. My times are usually faster at the highest % charge above 90%. Another reason for charging higher is that every subsequent run gets a little slower so you can have more good runs. Staging differences cannot be determined as we stop as soon the second staging light appears to maximize rollout. I do not know how much a second charger adds in weight but I doubt it is very much. The weight difference in wheels could be a factor but Dan had the staggered setup so he should have had more bite. Plus I don't have the $1,000 spoiler.

You also have all the chrome goodies (nose cone, trunk inserts) to slow you down.:)

So I was able to take out my car with some friends and I must say, there is a pretty huge difference. With insane I could always take them from a stand still, but at a rolling start anywhere over 40 and they always won. One friend has a beefed up Viper tuned to make some massive power. From a roll we did several 50/60-90/100mph runs, and I took him every time. It was close, but I was always slowly moving away from him. Everyone was blown away.

Completely worth the $5000.

I note you have the sunroof. Thats pretty heavy ... and your sig denotes 20 in HRE wheels - what tires? Do you have the 2nd charger? All these factors will affect your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

Yeah the panoramic roof is the most heavy extra. It does add 125 lbs (56kg) I did weight two P85D on a scale where only difference was with pano roof and normal alu roof.

I note you have the sunroof. Thats pretty heavy ... and your sig denotes 20 in HRE wheels - what tires? Do you have the 2nd charger? All these factors will affect your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

With all the can-bus data gathered was this theory of added weight by options not dimissed? since the car is not utilizing its full power/torque and it is very very very (scary) consistent. So software limitation and traction is the main limiter at this point.

Do we have correlated can-bus data with weight/option specification?