Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR-AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car has a static suspension, how can on-board electronics affect the car's handling?

Track mode gives you complete control over the nannies (you can have them completely off and some on) and changes distribution of power between the front and rear motors. You want a drift car, there is a drift setting. You want more front bias handling, just change the toggle. Its easy to see if you just Youtube Tesla, track mode v2. It also keeps your batteries much much cooler during track runs.

Reactions: SlimJim
I had pretty much the same impression. Drove both (separate days) but they gave me the LR AWD until the next day. Acceleration is still very fast, with recent power updates suggest the car is probably closer to 4.1 0-60. The weak point of handling for the LR is the wheels and tires which (as many others have stated) are more efficiency and comfort-oriented than handling. Ideally, I would like to test the LR with the 19 sport option or with some aftermarket wheels/tires to get a closer comparison.

I ended up ordering the M3P despite reason saying the LR was "just about as good," and with the difference in the price, you can upgrade however you see fit. However, I have done the springs/coil overs and aftermarket wheels/tires in the past and would rather keep things OEM. If you like to tinker and plan to change out wheels/tires/brakes/etc, or just want a fast, comfortable car the LR is a great option. Stock for stock I preferred the performance looks and feel over the LR.

Good luck with the decision.

I had pretty much the same impression. Drove both (separate days) but they gave me the LR AWD until the next day. Acceleration is still very fast, with recent power updates suggest the car is probably closer to 4.1 0-60.

3.9 without boost if you use 1' rollout on LR AWD per various car mags and owner testing with calibrated devices.... 3.5 with boost. (P is about 3 flat with 1 foot rollout nowadays)

I am noticing under full acceleration my boosted LR AWD rakes significantly. The rake angle feels like 30° and i am looking at the sky while it accelerates. i think performance model probably has less rake despite the quicker acceleration due to firmer and lower suspension.

Ok thanks. I though only some were capable of it. Nice to know any can add. It. Do you have to buy that option before delivery or anytime after purchase?

Only some can be unlocked to a full P (basically 99.99% made in 2018, and some much smaller % made in 2019, that got the 980 rear drive unit).

But currently Tesla does not sell such an unlock- though a 3rd party allegedly does with significant drawbacks like no more OTA updates.

All LR AWDs can get the boost option from Tesla though which gives you about half the difference AWD->P

Ok thanks. I though only some were capable of it. Nice to know any can add. It. Do you have to buy that option before delivery or anytime after purchase?
Some didnt feel much difference and returned it but then they felt it was much slower after returning it so they repurchased it.

There are many 4.4 second cars but far fewer sub 4.0 second cars that cost less than $100k.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
What is "rake?"
34DA15C3-3783-4615-8E4E-F49B9BF983B9.jpeg

3.9 without boost if you use 1' rollout on LR AWD per various car mags and owner testing with calibrated devices.... 3.5 with boost. (P is about 3 flat with 1 foot rollout nowadays)

Ah yes, the infamous 1' rollout differences. I imagine the two are closer than Tesla wants people to believe (to justify the price.) I wouldn't make the purchase based on figures alone. Like anything its the subjective feeling of the car.

Another interesting component is the impression of "speed." The LR I felt had more pitch and bucking (as others have mentioned as rake) on WOT maybe adding to that occasion.

If you survey LR AWD owners and asked how many wished they bought the Performance instead, I'd guess that overall percentage would be higher than Performance owners who wished they bought the LR AWD instead.

Easy to change wheels on Performance and depending on 19s you choose you might break even or at least close to it. Not so easy to add track mode to LR AWD.

Reactions: SlimJim
The lease on performance would have been $150 more per month than my LR AWD+. That will be more than enough to pay for new tires each year.
In 3 years when all these leases are up, what will tesla do with all the returned cars? FSD won’t be ready to make them into self driving taxis.

Last edited: