Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR-AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but you can get it without the performance package and it would have 18 inch wheels, no spoiler, no performance brakes, and be the same exact price as one with all that stuff.

Basically, they dont discount for not taking the performance package any longer, and you could never get the performance model with 19s from tesla, only one that we call a "sleeper" that looks exactly the same as the base model but has the performance dual motors, or the performance with the performance package as you likely saw it, but both are the exact same price.

No, but you can get it without the performance package and it would have 18 inch wheels, no spoiler, no performance brakes, and be the same exact price as one with all that stuff.

Basically, they dont discount for not taking the performance package any longer, and you could never get the performance model with 19s from tesla, only one that we call a "sleeper" that looks exactly the same as the base model but has the performance dual motors, or the performance with the performance package as you likely saw it, but both are the exact same price.

I don't think you can anymore- AFAIK they removed the checkbox to delete to 20s/brakes/etc a couple months ago.

Had a chance to drive both cars today.

Handling and road feel mean more to me than power. Thus, the firmer suspension of the Performance made the car feel a little more dialed in on the road, but the 20" wheels are a bit of a concern. Is it possible to order the car with 19" sport wheels?

At least some of the handling/feel difference is also from the fact those 20s were wrapped in vastly better tires.

Now- if you're planning to track the car- get the P, plan to get smaller wheels to avoid the easily damaged boat anchor 20s which apparently other suckers are happy to buy..... (most 19s, and at least some 18s, will fit- but you'll need to verify that do due to the larger brakes)... I say get a P in this case because only with the P do you get track mode.

But if you don't plan to track it and don't need ultimate speed- I'd say save the $8000, get the LR AWD... (or save 6k if you wanna add the boost option and get half the performance difference AWD->P added)... then put a bit of the 6k (or 8k) into PS4 tires, upgraded (better than P) swaybars and whatever other suspension bits you prefer to dial it in the way you want....you'll likely handle better and still be at least a few grand ahead.

I didnt know they deleted that. Thats good information.

I personally feel the P version is worth the acceleration, even if you dont track the car, but its not like the LR AWD is *slow* by any stretch. For @Robert A 's stated goal, I think I would agree the best course of action would be to buy the LR AWD (and maybe buy the accel boost), and get some PS4S tires or something.

I love those tires... I always wanted them on my BMWs but my BMWs were leased so I never took the time to buy go-flat tires, since I would have had to store the other ones etc.. But Man I love the PS4S tires.

Reactions: SlimJim
2E1830EB-8B4F-4F77-89EE-5BCDD7FCE867.jpeg
LR AWD with speed boost.

Which was my choice. My opinion is that the lr awd even with upgraded tires made more sense to me. I would have chosen a stealth performance if it was available But a black dog and white interior was not a good choice

Attachments

• 05E15ACA-2321-4714-B725-4AF86DCC7EE7.jpeg
    05E15ACA-2321-4714-B725-4AF86DCC7EE7.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I was torn on both and was going to get the AWD, add the sport wheels and acceleration boost. But when they lowered the price 2k, I was only 2500 difference on what I planned on spending for the performance. I got the performance. I can tell you the acceleration is amazing, so amazing, I drove my Honda today and was in totally shock how it can't get out of its own way. the 20" wheels I wouldn't call boat anchors they are awesome and look great, plus the red brembo tesla brakes are also awesome. I was nervous with them at first but have hit a few big pot holes in farm country here and had no issues. To sweeten the deal even more, the aluminum pedals look way nicer and the spoiler is a nice touch. Don't forget the lower suspension, which is still tall enough, I have never scrapped even the steepest of driveways. Got "p" to prevent regrets. LOL

Had a chance to drive both cars today.

Handling and road feel mean more to me than power. Thus, the firmer suspension of the Performance made the car feel a little more dialed in on the road, but the 20" wheels are a bit of a concern. Is it possible to order the car with 19" sport wheels?

no longer possible to order performance drivetrain without performance upgrade package. in my actual usage, 20" haven't been damage prone or detrimental to ride quality.... that said you could easily find someone willing to swap the 20s for their 19s.

are you already accelerating full-gas with your car today? do you go WOT everyday and want more headroom? if not, i dont see ever accessing the incremental power of the Performance trim. i recommend the LR-AWD to everyone unless they're enthusiasts or speed junkies.

no longer possible to order performance drivetrain without performance upgrade package. in my actual usage, 20" haven't been damage prone or detrimental to ride quality.... that said you could easily find someone willing to swap the 20s for their 19s.

are you already accelerating full-gas with your car today? do you go WOT everyday and want more headroom? if not, i dont see ever accessing the incremental power of the Performance trim. i recommend the LR-AWD to everyone unless they're enthusiasts or speed junkies.

I'm after the improved handling and tighter chassis of the Performance. Tell me that the LR-AWD with better tires can get me there.

Increased power is secondary.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm after the improved handling and tighter chassis of the Performance. Tell me that the LR-AWD with better tires can get me there.

no mechanical difference in bushings, sway bars, control arms, chassis braces, etc... nothing. just different passive spring and strut. if you're really keen on handling and open to mods, aftermarket package on a LR would serve you better. probably

Track mode is the only way to customize your car to make it handle differently. I would Youtube Track Mode V2 and see if thats important to you. Also, the Performance brakes are better, both in feel and fade resistance. I didn't like how the standard brakes felt in hard stopping.

Reactions: SlimJim
Track mode is the only way to customize your car to make it handle differently. I would Youtube Track Mode V2 and see if thats important to you. Also, the Performance brakes are better, both in feel and fade resistance. I didn't like how the standard brakes felt in hard stopping.

If the car has a static suspension, how can on-board electronics affect the car's handling?