Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how Tesla is going to balance their obligations to the stability control regulations against how they sell piece parts. Can they sell bits that will change the balance of the car and thus the stability of the car without providing the whole package? Not being in the vehicle manufacturer business it is unclear to me exactly what they can do from both a regulatory and liability standpoint.

> I just wish we could buy the bushings (or, at a minimum, the link assemblies). [lcc]

I'm sure you considered using eccentrics inside the dog bone drill-outs, which is the traditional way to adjust these things. What came of this approach?
--

I cruise (in a Tesla) (whenever I can) therefore I am.
--

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Tesla is going to balance their obligations to the stability control regulations against how they sell piece parts. Can they sell bits that will change the balance of the car and thus the stability of the car without providing the whole package? Not being in the vehicle manufacturer business it is unclear to me exactly what they can do from both a regulatory and liability standpoint.

My best guess: they can certainly sell parts for others to install. After all, someone might bend their suspension and have the repair work done somewhere besides Tesla.

So once parts become available, you ought to be able to buy them and have someone install them (or do it yourself).

As the manufacturer, I doubt that Tesla can install the parts themselves if the end result isn't something that is close enough to what they sell and test to cover them wrt to legal liability and regulatory compliance.

I'd love to have the option of having the P+ suspension or something close to it with the 19" tires assuming you don't need the big 21" wide tires to realize the benefits of the suspension upgrade. We'll see.

Last edited:
I learned that modern car suspension uses rubber bushings that isolate links and take up the relative angular movement of the components. When the upright moves up and down the "bearing" function between the arm and the upright is handled by angular deflection of the rubber annulus between the inner and outer bushing sleeves. Offset drilling the bushing inner sleeve would have the sleeve moving in an arc inside the outer sleeve (a no no).

Doing it with solid bushings would require a bearing surface somewhere (between the solid sleeve and the aluminum link?) which bothered me a bit but, more importantly, I was concern that there would be no compliance at all making assembly near impossible. When the suspension droops, the bushings flex which allow you to get the bolts in and out. Without that bushing flex (like with solid pieces) there would be no way to get the bolts in or out and there is the real potential for binding as the upright moves through its normal travel. I found this out when I made an eccentric bushing to verify my measurements for changing rear camber. Had it not been for the flex on the other side of the suspension arm, I never would have been able to get the bolt back in. That resulting binding from using solid bushings on both sides would cause huge stress risers and could even crack the link over time. I chickened out on the idea and gave up.

All I want are the wider rims and tires.....Surely can be bought when available since people will bend, brake, and destroy them....I did on my 8.5's already once!

Well this is how the conversation went: I e-mailed ownership and asked when the 9" wheels would be available. They indicated that they were available on the website. I corrected them in a followup e-mail that those were the 8.5" wheels. They answered back that the 9" wheels would have to be ordered from the service center and to call them. I called the service center and they had no idea what I was talking about. They called the factory who told them that they would not be availabe along with the performance plus upgrades until mid summer sometime. I e-mailed back ownership, and nicely said that they needed to get on the same page to prevent everyone running around. Then I got this answer:

I received some clarification from our folks here. This mixup was my fault, the Performance Plus wheels are not available for purchase separately. Later this summer we will offer the Performance Plus as a retro-fit. The details for that are below, the cost will be $13,000.

This upgrade will include the following items from the factory installed Performance Plus option:

2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings
2 x 21" x 8.5" front wheels with 245/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires
2 x 21" x 9" rear wheels with 265/35R21 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires

This is a package engineered to provide the enthusiast driver with a more responsive car and added cornering grip while maintaining excellent ride quality. While this does not include the revised dampers and stabilizer bars that the factory option does include, we have engineered this package to offer the majority of the handling benefits without requiring a full suspension removal and replacement, which would be far more costly.

Lloyd,

Ok, that is the first bit of concrete info. They are swapping out the upper and lower control arms but NOT the torque links (which appear to use the same bushings as the upper links although I did not press them out to confirm this).

Upper links are $220 each. The lowers are large castings so I'm guessing $1K each. Bushings will cost the same as durometer should not affect pricing. If they are not value pricing those arms and I am correct, P85s with 21s should be able to switch to Pilots and slap $2500 worth of arms on their cars and get what you would get with the field upgrade less a small amount of 0-60 reduction and less understeer. I'll try not to get my hopes up.

For $13,000?????? I'm not seeing it!!!!

Well this is how the conversation went: I e-mailed ownership and asked when the 9" wheels would be available. They indicated that they were available on the website. I corrected them in a followup e-mail that those were the 8.5" wheels. They answered back that the 9" wheels would have to be ordered from the service center and to call them. I called the service center and they had no idea what I was talking about. They called the factory who told them that they would not be availabe along with the performance plus upgrades until mid summer sometime. I e-mailed back ownership, and nicely said that they needed to get on the same page to prevent everyone running around. Then I got this answer:

For $13k, I wouldn't buy it unless they took the suspension off the car.

you could buy a Nissan Versa for the cost of this retro-fit upgrade.

or a Smart Car.

or a Chevy Spark.

THINK ABOUT THAT. for the cost of some slight upgrades to bushings, links, and tires, you could have another brand-new car.

honestly it's hard to justify the factory price of $6,500. At $13k (on top of the $100k price of the P85 to begin with), you literally must have money to burn.

Do we know for sure that when Tesla says...

"2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings"

...that the actual control arms, and upper links are different in any way other than the stiffer bushing?

If the retrofit is just stiffer bushings and wider rear rims/tires then there is not that much to the upgrade to justify the cost. We should be able to figure out the OEM manufacturer of the bushings and get any wider rear wheels to effectively get the same upgrade.

Lloyd,

Ok, that is the first bit of concrete info. They are swapping out the upper and lower control arms but NOT the torque links (which appear to use the same bushings as the upper links although I did not press them out to confirm this).

Upper links are $220 each. The lowers are large castings so I'm guessing $1K each. Bushings will cost the same as durometer should not affect pricing. If they are not value pricing those arms and I am correct, P85s with 21s should be able to switch to Pilots and slap $2500 worth of arms on their cars and get what you would get with the field upgrade less a small amount of 0-60 reduction and less understeer. I'll try not to get my hopes up.

It would be an exciting after market package if indeed for about $3k (if you have 21" wheels now) plus new Pilots (which need replacement at some point anyhow).