Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is play in all directions on the bushings. Urethane would not allow sufficient play to get the bolts back in the suspension. I darn near almost could not get the outboard bolt back in on the upper link when I had the solid offset bushing (for verifying arm length to achieve my desired camber). Had it not been for the flex in the inboard bushing, I would not have been able to reassemble the suspension.

I also fear huge stress risers if the Eurathane bushings do not give sufficiently. The last thing I want is for one of the arms to fracture at the end :(

I've got a set of bearings coming that allow for angular misalignment. These are ball bearing units common to aircraft where you may have four bearings along a flight surface and no way to make sure they are all in perfect alignment. I'll will try these on a set of the new arms.

By reassemble, I ment reattaching the upper link to the upright. It is held on by a single bolt. When the suspension is in droop (car corner jacked up so you can get to the suspension), the center line of the bushing hole does not line up with the center line of the bolt hole in the upright. You physically have to horse the link a bit to get things together. The movement to allow that horsing comes from bushing flex. No flex would make it very difficult to align the upright and suspension arm sufficiently to get the bolt back in. It was very difficult when I removed half the total flex (solid bushing on one side of the arm with the rubber busing on the other).

and my name is not Shirley :)

Makes you kinda wonder just how the factory sequences the assembly of the suspensions. THIS is where you pull out the video cam during the factory tour.

Still, I believe my S was assembled properly whereas you guys with the inner rear tread wear simply have mis-aligned cars. So there.

But, I do need to find some perfect flat pavement & do some eyeballing wrt my car's camber situation. And stand a big carpenter's Ell up against the rubber.
--

I was told I would get a call from THE suspension guy at Tesla. It has not happened yet and I have reached out to him to try to set a time. There are a lot of questions chief among which is camber and tire wear. If anyone knows the exact answer I would think it would be the ones that designed it.

I own a standard 85, today I had the opportunity to drive a Performance Plus at the St Louis test drives. All I can say is OMG. I'm used to giving passengers tickle bellies in my S85. But I was giving myself tickle bellies. Wow! Just Wow!. My poor husband was getting whiplash in the passenger seat, it pulled so hard off the line. Loved the drive but where I think I might get a ticket in my S85 I know I would get a ticket in a P85+.

If you can afford it, get it. It is just unbelievable.

I own a standard 85, today I had the opportunity to drive a Performance Plus at the St Louis test drives. All I can say is OMG. I'm used to giving passengers tickle bellies in my S85. But I was giving myself tickle bellies. Wow! Just Wow!. My poor husband was getting whiplash in the passenger seat, it pulled so hard off the line. Loved the drive but where I think I might get a ticket in my S85 I know I would get a ticket in a P85+.

If you can afford it, get it. It is just unbelievable.
For those wanting to "only" spend a "somewhat absurd" not "fully absurd" amount of money on upgrades, my understanding is that the whiplash in the P85 and the P85+ should be the same. The difference is for non-straight-line activities.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW this reminds me...

As I look to schedule servicing for my vehicle at the apparently very booked Seattle service center, I asked about the loaner program. "We don't have vehicle yet."

As it was a relatively unrainy day in Seattle (yay!), I drove around some more to check out the progress on the Belluvue service center. I got some more details on the loaner situation... "We can't keep them in stock. They sell immediately."

Good problem to have, but they might want to consider revising the plan so that the loaners are actually available as loaners until replacements are produced.

Brian,
I was reasonably sure when I heard the 1% per month and $1 a mile for loaner sales that the loaner program was simply designed to allow Tesla to be a stocking dealer with "stocking" cars. From and appearance and accounting viewpoint they simply have a fleet of loaners. From a practical standpoint they are delivering very low milage cars with new titles (all tax incentives apply) immediately which sure looks and smells like a stocking new car dealer to me. I am reasonably certain they will build more cars to fill the gap; it just may take a few months to get the volumes matched up just right.

BTW, that program is making it a real PITA to sell my car on the secondary market. Good for Tesla.... Not so good for current owners short term but good for us long term as it helps establish value.

I was reasonably sure when I heard the 1% per month and $1 a mile for loaner sales that the loaner program was simply designed to allow Tesla to be a stocking dealer with "stocking" cars.
I didn't read that intent into the program, but from a financial standpoint it sure seems to make sense.

While as an long-term owner I'm intrigued by the option to trade up, as a near term owner (and a Signature owner likely to never take advantage of the program) I'm somewhat annoyed that there have been at least 3 loaners in Seattle/Bellevue already sold and I have no loaner available to me when they schedule my car for a day's worth of service. No, I don't want to drive a controlled-explosion car from Enterprise; thanks, but no thanks.

Making the service loaners fully-loaded and available for sale is a great idea.

But announcing Tesla loaners and then never having any is a sure way to annoy your customers.

Are they selling them to anybody that asks for an in-stock car? It makes sense that they would do so, but I thought I recalled something (?) about them only being for sale to owners. In that case, you would think they would have the trade-in to offer as a loaner. I don't care if it's not fully loaded, I just don't want to drive whatever car Enterprise feels like handing out on the day I go in.

I don't care if it's not fully loaded, I just don't want to drive whatever car Enterprise feels like handing out on the day I go in.
Agreed. I'd be much happier with a barebones 40/60 loaner (from a trade-in or whatever) than a rental car. For two reasons: (1) I don't want less than a Model S for my loaner (it has no competition frankly) and (2) I want to deal with Tesla not Enterprise on the paperwork, etc.

Tesla could make #2 go away, but I doubt it's worth it from their perspective.

I'll probably ring the "ranger service" bell next time I call them and likely have a long conversation about why I can't do that for some reason. Can't they just do the work at my house or in the parking garage at work?

I do not think production is an issue so it is likely that they will have enough cars shortly once they get order time/supply in line with demand. Tesla, if you are reading this please add more P+ to your loaner pool (I'm thinking specifically South Florida) :)

Making the service loaners fully-loaded and available for sale is a great idea.

But announcing Tesla loaners and then never having any is a sure way to annoy your customers.

Are they selling them to anybody that asks for an in-stock car? It makes sense that they would do so, but I thought I recalled something (?) about them only being for sale to owners. In that case, you would think they would have the trade-in to offer as a loaner. I don't care if it's not fully loaded, I just don't want to drive whatever car Enterprise feels like handing out on the day I go in.

I think the loaner sales rate will drop after a while. I think there's a pent-up demand for fully loaded loaners (especially P85+'s). Plus, the folks getting loaner cars now are probably the early S buyers. I think they're more likely to have the financial resources to pull the trigger on an upgrade. If the loaners are P85+'s, I think the upgrade lure will be close to irresistible for most of them.

I think things will settle down once the pent-up demand drains.