Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been mentioned before, but not to be overlooked, the value of all Performance Model 3’s instantly dropped $5k the minute the price was lowered $5k.
This alone is reason enough to take the $5k refund. Makes it a no brainer imho.
On the subject of actually receiving the refund, imvho ... with all the postings here and elsewhere; there is a now obvious stall happening with the consensus bots telling folk’s to go out and sit by their mailbox for eight weeks.
There is still a cash crunch. Spoilers are prolly COD and I believe bond payments also lie ahead.
It’s all pretty weird because the car itself is pretty great.
Go figure.

Just contacted Tesla again "escalated for executive review".

1) Said I'm ready for my Dual Motor Badging because the forums say it's out, and aboard the mobile service vehicles.
2) Told them they must ACT NOW on addressing fairness toward that group of Performance 3 owners who did not receive free PUP, have not been given $5K cash back, and have had their cars removed from the menu. This group is angry. They should check the forums. They are damaging customer good will. They need to offer compensatory options - Quickly.

I expect to be ignored, as usual...

About my car: Since a few on this forum are having major headaches, I won't start extolling its virtues.

I'll only say I paid over $70 Grand for the thing - and it better be at least 14-times better than any car I've ever owned (I've never paid over $5 Grand for any car).
One of those cars took me through Africa (no, I don't expect my 3 to do that!). :)
Come to think of it, I paid $12 Grand for a boat that took me around the world (no, I don't expect Elon to make my car float). :D

Anyway, my point is: I do like the thing - but it has a long way to go to prove its mettle...
Corporate Tesla, on the other hand, NEEDS to prove its mettle now! It's looking pretty unreliable as things stand.

It has been mentioned before, but not to be overlooked, the value of all Performance Model 3’s instantly dropped $5k the minute the price was lowered $5k.

Nope. They certainly lost value (the + models especially) but not 5k worth.

Why that's a nope has been explained like 87 times already if you wanna scroll back and look for it- but that's not how depreciation works (and also puts a value of $0 on free lifetime supercharging and free data- and shortly on half the tax rebate)

Reactions: P85_DA
also puts a value of $0 on free lifetime supercharging and free data

Are you saying only Performance models, from 'before', got that? My LR had all those free things... so not specific to Performance so not relevant in the argument

I agree the drop wasn't likely 5k but you have to admit the Performance car w/o the upgrades is the red headed step child now.. I would be surprised (very and pleased) if a used one doesn't have a significant valuation difference against a comparable Performance w/options, maybe even more than 5k. No one will even believe you if you say your car is Performance w/o the brakes and other obvious hints

Reactions: Big City and Roys3
Are you saying only Performance models, from 'before', got that? My LR had all those free things... so not specific to Performance so not relevant in the argument

I agree the drop wasn't likely 5k but you have to admit the Performance car w/o the upgrades is the red headed step child now.. I would be surprised (very and pleased) if a used one doesn't have a significant valuation difference against a comparable Performance w/options, maybe even more than 5k. No one will even believe you if you say your car is Performance w/o the brakes and other obvious hints
Look at EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings
P85 are an average of $200 more than 85. Performance options do not hold their value.
P85D are an average of $6k more than 85D. How much more did a P85D cost new relative to an 85D?

Been there so yep

AWD -> Stealth Performance == ~11k (depending on when)

My recollection was the difference between 85 and P85D was more than the $11k but back then too many variants

85+
P85 (not sure what that was)
P85D

My fear is that IF I decide to sell my car, it's going to be viewed as an AWD w/software update only cause that is what the reality seems to be - and people pay even less for software than hardware too often.. (says the software engineer)

Been there so yep

My fear is that IF I decide to sell my car, it's going to be viewed as an AWD w/software update only cause that is what the reality seems to be - and people pay even less for software than hardware too often.. (says the software engineer)

Well, not to worry there...all the P3Ds are in the same boat on that one. That's all they are, even the P3D+. I bought mine so I would experience maximum depreciation. YOLO!

Been there so yep

AWD -> Stealth Performance == ~11k (depending on when)

My recollection was the difference between 85 and P85D was more than the $11k but back then too many variants

85+
P85 (not sure what that was)
P85D

I think you're missing the point I'm making. ALL performance models depreciate quickly relative to non performance models.
The P85 was the original performance Model S available at launch (bigger wheels and 1s less 0-60). It was a $12k option that now appears to be worth $200.
P85D was the performance version of the 85D. I think that they cost $20-30k more? On top of that some of them cost another $7500 more for the Ludicrous option. They now sell for $6k more than the 85D.
It seems very likely that Performance Model 3 of all flavors will suffer the same type of depreciation.
Your car is just an AWD with a software update. The PUP is hardly any different though. That's just the way Tesla does things. They don't have the resources to make true performance models. All Model 3s are pretty darn good though.

No I'm not but it may be possible you're not getting mine...

I'm pretty sure my car will deprecate cause all cars do... now that I own a car no one can ever buy again and is (to many) 'less special' or worse - I believe it will take a deeper hit than it might have. All speculation of course but not without precedent
No one can buy a 40,60,85,P85,P85+,85D,P85D,Model 3LR RWD, etc. again either. There's really no avoiding it.
I wish Tesla had made the PUP free to begin with so that I would have bought one. If you all had listened to us that said the P3D was overpriced we could have avoided this situation entirely :(

I wish Tesla had made the PUP free to begin with so that I would have bought one

everyone gets their porking-over... I would have gone all the way if

- they had told us the brakes were really different AND that 19" OEM would eventually fit
- that track mode was special magic
- they would decide to drop the price <- yeah ok...

Silly/stupid? early supporters just kinda got what they got ...