Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe whoever told you P3- wasn't eligible has the final say.

If Tesla was rational and have time to discuss, it should be obvious they:

Divide P owners regardless of tiers into two camps:

1 - Pre PUP bundle

ALL get free supercharging or 5K rebate. Codes, no codes, all that crap doesn't matter. It's a clear event to determine A/B

2 - Post price drops

NOTHING (those bastards.) ;)

I hope you right. I will eat my rant if that is in fact the case as that's more than fair. I just don't see that actually happening. My delivery adviser won't even answer emails now that they have my money.

Am I the only one here old enough to remember this?

Steve Jobs Offers Rare Apology, Credit for iPhone

Very analogous to this situation. Important to note that although it was only a partial compensation of the difference in price paid by early adopters, nobody had to give up something (like free supercharging) to take advantage of it. Everyone was happy to have gotten the apology and partial refund, as I recall.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
I hope you right. I will eat my rant if that is in fact the case as that's more than fair. I just don't see that actually happening. My delivery adviser won't even answer emails now that they have my money.

Reason why I believe I'm right is the final say has to come from Elon. I am sure they will have an all directors meeting on Monday.

Meetings will cover
This is how we handle X, Y, Z.

This will filter down to the regional managers and then the stores themselves.

Those delivery advisers just came from Starbucks a week ago. Next week, they will be selling movie tickets.

Let’s say I’m Spock or a stone-cold AI in a repeated game where I am trying to maximize utility by buying the best vehicles at the best price. I posit that I will get the most utils by standing in line for a Tesla the first day and ordering the highest priced SKU ASAP. Soon after I learn I could have done better at the game by not waiting in line or buying later - essentially Tesla is retraining my AI via reinforcement learning that it made a sub-par decision using these parameters. If the game continues like this, i.e. I keep getting fewer utils after working under these parameters, I’m logically going to try something different at some point. Live and learn. Maybe the learning part isn’t painful for Spock or an AI, but sometimes it is for us humans.
If you were Spock and "trying to maximize utility by buying the best vehicles at the best price", first, you would define what utility means in your statement. Then, pretty much regardless of that definition, you'd be looking at used cars, not new, since new car depreciate the most. Even if some some reason you included "newness" of the car as the overriding utility, then you'd be looking at the base model cars, not the flagship high end since historically (including Tesla) base models depreciate the lowest percentage, and combine that lowest percentage with lowest price, you get the lowest absolute depreciation, which means maximum value.

Even if you weren't Spock but still pragmatic and logical, and you set yourself an emotionally driven, extremely narrow goal or "get the best price on red P3D with performance package", and then bought one 3 months ago, given the information you had at that time you still made a good decision. Just because the price went down, doesn't make your decision illogical. Historically prices of Teslas have both gone up or down, so nothing to AI learn to prevent you from buying today.

Reactions: Lem89
I believe there is an opportunity for them to realize some additional revenue and offset this cost by offering upgrades to AWD (non-P) owners to upgrade to P3D- for $5k. KenF created a poll asking this question: AWD Non-P Owners: Would you upgrade to the Performance Model for $6K?

That last bit would not be very cool either as I paid $10,000 more than the dual motor Model 3 to get my P3D-. How about they just refund the $5,000 for people that had their car devalued by $5,000 like me and the P3+ owners and chalk this up as a learning opportunity. I'm still holding out hope that I will get refunded. If not that would be a pretty big let down to one of Tesla's most die hard fans...

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
There is a bunch of drama queens in this thread.
I have P3D- and this car is amazing and after all of this I can't wait to to get a Model Y for my wife.

Yeah don't get me wrong I still love the car. My car sat in service for 2 weeks for cosmetic issues and I could fill 2 pages with the amount of stuff I've had to put up with before and after delivery (4 unnecessary 3.5 hour round trips to Fremont is only the beginning) but I still feel the Tesla team is doing everything they can and I'm still a believer. Doesn't mean I will tolerate an immediate $5000 devaluation though. I think you'd have to be either very well off or have a screw loose to not care about that.

I'm just catching up after a 48 hour internet free zone.

This initially feels like a kick in the nuts, but it's a familiar one. It's not that different than times I've bought a computer or some other gadget and a few weeks later a better one is available. I'm not sure the free supercharging is worth $5k and I definitely would not have bought a package of lifetime supercharging for $5k, especially as it's not transferable.

Even so, I was willing to pay what I paid when I paid it and the fact than someone else can get the same car for less doesn't really effect me.

Go offer your car for trade-in today and see if it doesn't affect you. It absolutely affects you. Your car just lost $5000 of value above and beyond the standard depreciation.

Reactions: Msjulie and medx
That last bit would not be very cool either as I paid $10,000 more than the dual motor Model 3 to get my P3D-. How about they just refund the $5,000 for people that had their car devalued by $5,000 like me and the P3+ owners and chalk this up as a learning opportunity. I'm still holding out hope that I will get refunded. If not that would be a pretty big let down to one of Tesla's most die hard fans...

You have a P3D-. If you received a $5k refund, why would it bother you if someone with AWD could pay $5k more to get P3D-? Both would be paying same amount for P3D-.

Yeah don't get me wrong I still love the car. My car sat in service for 2 weeks for cosmetic issues and I could fill 2 pages with the amount of stuff I've had to put up with before and after delivery (4 unnecessary 3.5 hour round trips to Fremont is only the beginning) but I still feel the Tesla team is doing everything they can and I'm still a believer. Doesn't mean I will tolerate an immediate $5000 devaluation though. I think you'd have to be either very well off or have a screw loose to not care about that.

Preach it! You are like this generations “Joe the Plumber” the every man Tesla owner.

Those over in TSLA market discussion and their 10,000 shares don’t want your shadow touching them.

Or a DGAF guy with TWO Performance Model 3’s!!!

Am I the only one here old enough to remember this?

Steve Jobs Offers Rare Apology, Credit for iPhone

Very analogous to this situation. Important to note that although it was only a partial compensation of the difference in price paid by early adopters, nobody had to give up something (like free supercharging) to take advantage of it. Everyone was happy to have gotten the apology and partial refund, as I recall.

I posted the same thing a dozen pages ago. ;)

We have to give up free supercharging to get 5k back .
Even then I wouldn't care. It's not about someone else getting a better deal than me. It's about the 5k loss I have to suffer. I'm all for other people getting good deals, as long as it's not at the expense of others.

As for the spock thing, We did try to buy more than 3 months ago, Back in June! but we didn't get delivery until right before the price drop. This wasn't up to us. That's what makes this different than a typical dealership style ordering. If I bought the car 3 months ago and then there was a promotion 3 months later for free PUP, I wouldn't be nearly as pissed off about it. I mean that kind of thing happens, and you would probably know when buying about any immediate holiday sales or promotions.. it's when you lock in your price back in June, get the car in October, and then the prices goes down by 5k right after delivery (If you can even consider my delivery complete!)

Not cool! But if we get 5k back, that would be amazing. Even if I have to give up free supercharging.

5k makes sense for P3D+ owners.

Not sure 5k makes sense for P3D- owners? An upgrade to PUP would make sense but not sure what the actual cost of that would be? Which is where the problem lays. With 5k back the P3D- will be an amazing value, but my luck is obviously not nearly that good. I would take the 5k back over PUP, but I would certainly take the upgrade if that was the only option. I think it requires too much work that that to be a possibility though. (shocks, linkage, wheels, wheel hubs, brakes would all need to be replaced)

I think P3d- owners will get nothing with the exception of those who got their cars today and yesterday. But me, wel that was 10 days ago now, so I will get to kick rocks.

Just what I think will happen...

Spock would of bought this starship and eating popcorn right now.

upload_2018-10-27_17-14-34.png