Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ask what is included with "additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance". Track mode sounds like a performance upgrade...
tesla-model-3-configurator-dual-motor-jun2018.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
I asked Tesla support why are they favoring P3D+ with their Track Mode release and treating us P3D- as second class citizens when Elon said he would release Track Mode to all. Their reply was:
"
Mr. Perry

The 42.8 software update is required for Track Mode, and your vehicle currently has the 42.3 software. The most recent software is being rolled out in waves, and your vehicle will prompt you when your vehicle is queued to download it.

Have a great day!

Joel Parker | Tesla Support
"
What kind of software release waves are these!? Discriminatory ones no doubt!

Another insult to the P3D- came last night in form of an email stating that my dual motor badge (not the ones with a red underline) is ready for me to get installed. Either these people are clueless or they like pouring salt on the wound reminding us that our P3D- are nothing but AWD cars with one software bit flipped. Now they want to badge my car with a model decal lower than what I bought.

I asked Tesla support why are they favoring P3D+ with their Track Mode release and treating us P3D- as second class citizens when Elon said he would release Track Mode to all. Their reply was:
"
Mr. Perry

The 42.8 software update is required for Track Mode, and your vehicle currently has the 42.3 software. The most recent software is being rolled out in waves, and your vehicle will prompt you when your vehicle is queued to download it.

Have a great day!

Joel Parker | Tesla Support
"
That must Utah-Parker again. Love that guy! He is going his own way - with or without Tesla. :cool::):D

• Funny
Reactions: Lucky13
Another insult to the P3D- came last night in form of an email stating that my dual motor badge (not the ones with a red underline) is ready for me to get installed. Either these people are clueless or they like pouring salt on the wound reminding us that our P3D- are nothing but AWD cars with one software bit flipped. Now they want to badge my car with a model decal lower than what I bought.
Was that also from "Utah-Parker" ?

You damn red-headed stepchild - you deserve no stinking underline!

You guys should only blame yourselves. The $5k package was well priced. Try getting something similar aftermarket for $5k..

You guys got a supercar with aero wheels and Prius tires. I am actually being nice because it turns out that my 2017 Chevy volt has much better braking specs than a P3D-.

Bad tires have impacts on everything. From braking to speed to handling and of course safety. There is a perfectly valid argument to just not want these features... but in that case why buy the performance model in the first place and not get the AWD or RWD?

I commute daily in all weather conditions with my P3D-, and have no concerns with rough poorly maintained Midwest roads. I took it to a drag strip, and ran 11.79 with 0-60 in 3.46s.

This thread and personalities like yours is really souring this forum for me. I have plenty of options for negativity in my life; I’d hoped this would be an avenue to share a mutual enjoyment and pride in our vehicles.

Last edited:
I commute daily in all weather conditions with my P3D-, and have no concerns with rough poorly maintained Midwest roads. I took it to a drag strip, and ran 11.79 with 0-60 in 3.46s.

This thread and personalities like yours is really souring this forum for me. I have plenty of options for negativity in my life; I’d hoped this would be an avenue to share a mutual enjoyment and pride in our vehicles.
Plz don’t give up on the forum, it’s a great thing. The ignore feature is sometimes useful.

With all the angry energy behind this price change no wonder it hit 100 pages.

I'll sum it up here:
1. Elon drunk tweeted Fred after Fred got riled up and threw fire on an already sore subject, price drop in the highest trim model P3D a couple months after release. Elon offered refunding $5k in exchange for FUSC, as well as giving FUSC to those who bought after the FUSC deadline, but before the price change. Fans riot, there's no good way out for Tesla, and looks like a multi-million loss.
2. Unclear whether who all is getting the offer of $5k, looks like P3D- are getting "FUSC off" emails so far with rare exception. P3D+ mostly getting wait and see emails with a few confirmation of $5k checks. No official announcement.
3. If you see a TM3 drifting over highway 9 in the rain that's Perry, when P3D- get track mode don't go walking out there late at night. You;ll never hear him coming.
4. Brakes don't stop the car tires do thanks Knightshade.
5. Glamisduner will never buy another Tesla and may lash out if he meets angry guy at the supercharger hitting his car
6. Regardless of the $5k the P3D is a damn fine drive
7. A good train wreck is hard to look away from - Lol

This is like the Drunk History version - the only thing I’d add is (intended to be in fun, not to trivialize the combatants):

8. Half the thread was occupied by a back and forth about the semantics of warranties, manufacturer warnings, and personal liability as it pertains to track mode. Perhaps someone won but I’m certain the rest of us lost in the end.

I'll sum it up here:
1. Elon drunk tweeted Fred after Fred got riled up and threw fire on an already sore subject, price drop in the highest trim model P3D a couple months after release. Elon offered refunding $5k in exchange for FUSC, as well as giving FUSC to those who bought after the FUSC deadline, but before the price change. Fans riot, there's no good way out for Tesla, and looks like a multi-million loss.
2. Unclear whether who all is getting the offer of $5k, looks like P3D- are getting "FUSC off" emails so far with rare exception. P3D+ mostly getting wait and see emails with a few confirmation of $5k checks. No official announcement.
3. If you see a TM3 drifting over highway 9 in the rain that's Perry, when P3D- get track mode don't go walking out there late at night. You;ll never hear him coming.
5. Glamisduner will never buy another Tesla and may lash out if he meets angry guy at the supercharger hitting his car

That kind of answer kills me... At least they should say nothing... I'm on 44.2 and there's no track mode as expected on my P3D-... Sigh. But the good news is that it's winter here so I don't care plus I have 18" inches wheels for the best snow tires format.

The 42.8 software update is required for Track Mode said:
Joel Parker | Tesla Support[/B]
"

Reactions: Jason_G and Perry

I'll sum it up here:
Can't say I disagree with any of it - except maybe 4. Neither brakes, nor tires stop the car - regen does. (- and I love it for that!)
Btw. If anybody takes a road trip up to Crater Lake and gets up there with well over half the battery capacity used, no worries, the way down will regen you like crazy. You'll get back to Grant's Pass no problem.
IMG_20181003_121930.jpg

That kind of answer kills me... At least they should say nothing... I'm on 44.2 and there's no track mode as expected on my P3D-... Sigh. But the good news is that it's winter here so I don't care plus I have 18" inches wheels for the best snow tires format.
No worries (yet). Tesla is telling different things to different people. The "tweet team" has no coherent policy (yet). Utah-Parker and others are doing their own thing while still others are just ignoring owner's concerns. It's all over the map...

This would have been a 1000 page thread and still going if AP2 gate happened on the Model 3 versus Model S and X.

Take delivery of an AP1 car October 15th and your neighbor takes delivery of an AP2 car on October 16th.

On page 300 you’d have AP2 owners getting angry at getting bait/switched because it doesn’t perform as well as AP1 2 years later.

Some take aways for those who haven’t taken delivery of a Tesla yet:

1.) Your neighbor will have a better and cheaper Tesla than you. Could happen in just 24 hours.

2.) Cheaping out on your config more often than that carries more regret later than satisfaction of saving money upfront.

Post upgrades after delivery can get more expensive, never materialize or, or pulled entirely. FSD being the latest example.

3.) Don’t try to outsmart Tesla. People think it’s dumb to spend $5000 for a rice package because it doesn’t give you enough for the price difference. What happens when Tesla decides to give someone “enough” for that 5000?

Tesla has annoyingly pulled the expiring FUSC lever over and over. You can keep holding off on it but Tesla might pull the plug overnight and would wisely not telegraph it.

3P- should be grateful that Tesla ever even offered it for the 3. I actually ordered before FUSC was even a thing.

While financially it doesn’t make sense over $5000 it’s still an intangible that is looking to be exclusive.

Taking it won’t stop sales apparently as BMW M3s and C63 AMG don’t come with unlimited gas.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: brianman and P85_DA