Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what Elon should have said: "Because of the abrupt pricing and feature changes, all "legacy" performance owners will get 1 of the following - their choice: EAP, FUSC, PUP, FSD - or a $5K credit toward future purchases."

I think many (like me) made the trade-off between EAP and PUP. (I'd chose FSD or credit.)

Come on TWEET team! Run with this "new and improved" version. It's the intent that counts: customer satisfaction! (and this saves TESLA money too.)

Yep, I would either do the PUP or more likely take the 5k and trade in our other Volt for another P3 but without EAP and have one P3- for road trips with EAP and one for in town for ultimate performance. Not sure why they are dragging their feet so much since it seems very cut and dry and the P3- numbers are fixed. I can only assume it is to focus on selling as many new Teslas as they can before EOY. I would think a current Tesla owner is the most likely person to buy a new Tesla and this mess up (call it “good will” since TM is not on the contract for anyone) is preventing me from doing so.

Reactions: Roys3
Errr if you read all 99 pages you will see that *I* have no problem with track mode for P- or even for AWD. Why not share the love?

Offering reasons why Tesla wouldn’t do it is separate from my own opinions of wanting to see Tesla taking care of all owners.

Likely reason is the firmware is not tuned for anything except for 3P+. They gain nothing throwing it out there for any dick, jane, harry and @Perry to treat Laguna Niguel like Laguna Seca running on wheels, tires, suspensions and brakes that go on a 3MR.

There's one thing I remember now which wasn't mentioned much if at all in this epic thread.

3P+ has a top speed of 155 MPH.
3P- has a top speed of 145 MPH.

No matter what you did with the 3P-, it was always going to have 145 MPH top end limit.
What if you never hit 155? What's the point of 3P+?

The point is that a difference like that should tell you that Tesla has separate firmware for the + versus -.

That is actually the leading indicator that one needed to pay the 5000 "tax" and "hidden taxes" of 20 inch winter/all-season tires post purchase. The risk is zero of 3P+ missing out on anything applicable to 2018 Model 3s. The risk is greater than zero that 3P- will miss out on something.

I note "2018" because who knows - a 2019 3P might have things a 2018 can not or will not have. Welcome to Tesla ownership.

Tesla did not communicate their road map clearly but they were not legally obligated to.

They are not legally obligated to retrofit 3P-, and they are not legally obligated to offer rebates or credits post purchase.

Will Tesla provide goodwill relief? I hope so. Though if they do, it's not going to happen until 2019 at the earliest.

I think the top speed limit is because of tire rating, and an upsell. Even if I changed out the tires, I’m not going 145mph.

Has no one done a side by side wheel take off to compare P3- to P3+, to see just how much bigger the P+’s “P” is?!!!! I mean come on! Can we just pull em down and measure? 100+ pages and it’s right in front of our face.

Errr if you read all 99 pages you will see that *I* have no problem with track mode for P- or even for AWD. Why not share the love?

Offering reasons why Tesla wouldn’t do it is ;)separate from my own opinions of wanting to see Tesla taking care of all owners.

Likely reason is the firmware is not tuned for anything except for 3P+. They gain nothing throwing it out there for any dick, jane, harry and @Perry to treat Laguna Niguel like Laguna Seca running on wheels, tires, suspensions and brakes that go on a 3MR.

There's one thing I remember now which wasn't mentioned much if at all in this epic thread.

3P+ has a top speed of 155 MPH.
3P- has a top speed of 145 MPH.

No matter what you did with the 3P-, it was always going to have 145 MPH top end limit.
What if you never hit 155? What's the point of 3P+?

The point is that a difference like that should tell you that Tesla has separate firmware for the + versus -.

That is actually the leading indicator that one needed to pay the 5000 "tax" and "hidden taxes" of 20 inch winter/all-season tires post purchase. The risk is zero of 3P+ missing out on anything applicable to 2018 Model 3s. The risk is greater than zero that 3P- will miss out on something.

I note "2018" because who knows - a 2019 3P might have things a 2018 can not or will not have. Welcome to Tesla ownership.

Tesla did not communicate their road map clearly but they were not legally obligated to.

They are not legally obligated to retrofit 3P-, and they are not legally obligated to offer rebates or credits post purchase.

Will Tesla provide goodwill relief? I hope so. Though if they do, it's not going to happen until 2019 at the earliest.
Yawn... how many times you posted this chapter about your prescience? Have some turkey and happy Thanksgiving! :);)

My contribution to bloating this thread out..

You'll note it is Performance or Performance + only

View attachment 354861

from our friends at abstract ocean (Tesla Model Letters) of which I have no affiliation but many folks here seem to like their stuff

Happy Holidays and all that
Yeah - (minus) doesn't market well - doesn't feel good - even though it gives Tesla the most revenue...

I got that message initially (or something like it) and then the follow up message yesterday was sort of the "FUSC You" message except it was very formal and professional. Needless to say, they stated in the response that refunds are for PUP owners only and to please enjoy my free lifetime supercharging. Of course I responded with displeasure to that, but at the same time... I expected that response and still am enjoying my car! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
That's not good news. That means they are going back to the "FUSC you" line they gave me right away. At some point we're going to have to figure out consequences, because that can't be left to stand...

Reactions: Perry
Let me start by saying I am in the camp that P3D- got screwed (I own one and was very disturbed that my car lost $5000 of value literally the day after I got it back from being in service for 2 weeks to correct several defects). But what you are saying is unreasonable. We paid the extra money for the 3.5s 0-60 time so asking for all of that back to a price in line with an AWD 4.5s 0-60 car is an unreasonable ask.
You guys should only blame yourselves. The $5k package was well priced. Try getting something similar aftermarket for $5k..

You guys got a supercar with aero wheels and Prius tires. I am actually being nice because it turns out that my 2017 Chevy volt has much better braking specs than a P3D-.

Bad tires have impacts on everything. From braking to speed to handling and of course safety. There is a perfectly valid argument to just not want these features... but in that case why buy the performance model in the first place and not get the AWD or RWD?

You guys should only blame yourselves. The $5k package was well priced. Try getting something similar aftermarket for $5k..

You guys got a supercar with aero wheels and Prius tires. I am actually being nice because it turns out that my 2017 Chevy volt has much better braking specs than a P3D-.

Bad tires have impacts on everything. From braking to speed to handling and of course safety. There is a perfectly valid argument to just not want these features... but in that case why buy the performance model in the first place and not get the AWD or RWD?

Except the brakes on the PUP are really not good at all. They were toast after 3 laps. They are not what I would have expected when Elon promised this was going to beat the M3 around the track. They are going to need to be replaced with something aftermarket if you ever want to really track the car. The wheels are more bling than performance. They should have charged $10K extra and given us quality parts.

Reactions: Roys3

Another one of the "gifted", fat and happy, less-revenue-providing (P-) crowd wrongly thinking he knows what's best for others...
Btw: In the right hands, I bet my "Prius-tired", "Chevy-volt-braked" Performance 3 beats yours - if neither has track, or if both have track.
AND/OR - if I also get $5K "gifted" (by some miracle) and it gets put toward performance hardware then... well, you can imagine. :D

Last edited:

wtf does that have to do with anything? Maybe some people didn't see the value in the $5k pup, maybe they were stretching their budgets as it is. I for one had to pick between the EAP or PUP and as much as I wanted pup, i saw more value in autopilot. If Tesla starts handing out EAP for free to new orders and refunding everyone else who purchased but does nothing for existing people who did not order it, does that mean people who didn't purchase it only have themselves to blame for not buying it?

Maybe some people wanted different wheels and brakes, I wanted 19s not 20s.. Your post is pretty much victim blaming. We had no idea the PUP was going to be offered for free but only to be orders or existing PUP others days after our cars were delivered, or even days before they were delivered.

MyM discontinued AWD+ is still going to be in the shop for another two weeks fixing delivery issues... I've had almost 5 year old loaner car for a longer time than the car I purchased. Buying the 3 has been one of the worst financial decisions I have ever made. No sugar coating it. The whole screw the P3D- people is icing on the cake. Free supercharging is nice but not something must people will use very often.

Last edited:
Someone posted 99 FT 60-0 stopping distance. The brakes on the PUP are excellent. No one laps multiple times and complains without also mentioning that you should be using aftermarket brakes. I was having some fun at Thermal in a BMW M3 and had to deal with some brake fade. It's expected.

Except the brakes on the PUP are really not good at all. They were toast after 3 laps. They are not what I would have expected when Elon promised this was going to beat the M3 around the track. They are going to need to be replaced with something aftermarket if you ever want to really track the car. The wheels are more bling than performance. They should have charged $10K extra and given us quality parts.

If Tesla starts handing out EAP for free to new orders and refunding everyone else who purchased but does nothing for existing people who did not order it, does that mean people who didn't purchase it only have themselves to blame for not buying it?

Great analogy - exactly the way I (and I'm sure most other Stealth P3 owners) see it.

Someone posted 99 FT 60-0 stopping distance. The brakes on the PUP are excellent. No one laps multiple times and complains without also mentioning that you should be using aftermarket brakes. I was having some fun at Thermal in a BMW M3 and had to deal with some brake fade. It's expected.

Have a read here if you have not yet. Aftermarket is going to be needed, not just pads but the brakes are not up to the task:

Tesla M3D review: split decision - Laguna Edition - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Reactions: Msjulie and Roys3
Have a read here if you have not yet. Aftermarket is going to be needed, not just pads but the brakes are not up to the task:

Tesla M3D review: split decision - Laguna Edition - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Could you clarify what you mean about "not just pads but the brakes are not up to the task".

In his writeup he says "I’m fairly confident some different brake pads and Michellin pilot sport 2 cups will assist me in my goal - so it’s doable"
also "I’m fairly confident I could lay down a 1:48-1:46 lap time with PS 2 Cup’s and different brake pads in this car - a quicker driver might do a 1:42 - maybe."

Maybe I missed something?

I've already explained one of my reasons why previously but I'll do so again.

Two main reasons:
1) Everything Tesla told me at the time pointed to a cosmetic upgrade (I could care less about some artificially imposed 155 vs. 145 top speed since I'll never test that out anyway). Tires can be swapped for stickier ones. I later (after taking delivery) learned of more significant physical differences.
2) Spending another $5000 would have triggered a loan for me or would take another ~8 months at least to save.

I'm guessing you count among the unaffected.

Saw this posted on Facebook. FYI.
upload_2018-11-22_20-49-53.png

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: MarkS22 and P85_DA