Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got my refund e-mail today stating it would take about 8 weeks once I say confirm. They also said there isn't any offer to match existing super charger program but that it wont be cut off until the check is processed in that ~ 8 week time frame and will not be back charging for previous use.

Its such a tough call. I don't think there is anyway I will use enough supercharging while owning the car to make up 5k worth but who knows. Right now its $0.22 kwh in florida and I've used 757 kwh in 3 months with 1 road trip included. Thats $664 a year if I took such a road trip every 3 months or so ( unlikely ), the only way I see the refund being a bad choice is if Tesla raises the prices of superchargers which I'm not sure what to expect there....

Tough freaking choice

Well there you go folks. The checks are in the mail (almost) :). Got a new response from Tesla telling me that the refund has been processed and the checks will be mailed out starting in the beginning of next week.
Signed "Executive Care". Very strange. Reminds me of "Memory Care" inside senior assisted living places. :)
So looks Tesla Utah is in action! Unlike some other places...

Your math hurts my brain..
  • Bigger rims & tires : $4k to me
  • Bigger brakes: sorry not an option, MPP brake kit up front is $1380, rear $980 and this doesn't include calipers. Find me a kit < $1k from Brembo, etc I want to see it, really.. more options the better
  • Aluminum pedals: $150
  • Stouter stabilizers and other suspension bits: not an option
  • Spoiler: can't find it in the store right now, was like $1k

I realize these are not the cost to Tesla but even at 25% cost to them it's more than 1k. Supercharging (unlimited) used to be on the menu for $2k

The debate will continue until people feel like some kind of fairness has been applied.
The claim was that the P3D- is a higher margin vehicle now that PUP buyers are getting $5k back and that therefore P3D- owners are getting "FUSCed." My point is that the upgrades actually cost Tesla very little and probably less than FUSC. Arguably the wheels aren't even an upgrade at all.

Reactions: Perry
Your math hurts my brain..
  • Bigger rims & tires : $4k to me
  • Bigger brakes: sorry not an option, MPP brake kit up front is $1380, rear $980 and this doesn't include calipers. Find me a kit < $1k from Brembo, etc I want to see it, really.. more options the better
  • Aluminum pedals: $150
  • Stouter stabilizers and other suspension bits: not an option
  • Spoiler: can't find it in the store right now, was like $1k

I realize these are not the cost to Tesla but even at 25% cost to them it's more than 1k. Supercharging (unlimited) used to be on the menu for $2k

The debate will continue until people feel like some kind of fairness has been applied.
You need to look at the marginal cost of those items. It isn't 1k extra for the larger calipers, it probably only costs them $100 more than the standard version etc.

Also the spoiler is irrelevant as they didn't bother to actually deliver it. I've had my car for 4 months and have not once received an update on that.

I also got my refund e-mail today stating it would take about 8 weeks once I say confirm. They also said there isn't any offer to match existing super charger program but that it wont be cut off until the check is processed in that ~ 8 week time frame and will not be back charging for previous use.

Its such a tough call. I don't think there is anyway I will use enough supercharging while owning the car to make up 5k worth but who knows. Right now its $0.22 kwh in florida and I've used 757 kwh in 3 months with 1 road trip included. Thats $664 a year if I took such a road trip every 3 months or so ( unlikely ), the only way I see the refund being a bad choice is if Tesla raises the prices of superchargers which I'm not sure what to expect there....

Tough freaking choice
Don't forget about net present value. Even if your FUSC winds up begin worth 6k over 10 years, 5k today is worth more than that.

I sent two emails a few days after Elon’s initial tweets. Maybe three weeks after that I got two different responses. One saying they’ll forward it on to evaluate and one telling me to pound sand.

I responded to the first email thanking them for their time and consideration.

Yesterday I got an email asking me to confirm my mailing address and to expect a check within 8 weeks. After responding to that I immediately got a confirmation follow up email.

• Informative
Reactions: Roys3
It may be a quibble but I do get annoyed when I get a window of 4-8 weeks. I work with financial systems that send refund checks to customers. You add the refund into your system of record, it interfaces to the GL system, and a file is sent to your check printing co that night. It should take like 3 days. If you need to make me wait until Q1 2019 then just tell me that.

Reactions: Perry and Roys3
It isn't 1k extra for the larger calipers, it probably only costs them $100 more than the standard version etc.

I don't know what the different rotors/calipers cost to Tesla and I don't think it's the point because it is more as is there suspension bits, tires etc. and they sell it for a value (cost to me) reflective of what I might pay had I not gotten it from Tesla. Thus the car is, in theory, worth more than just $100 more on resale even with depreciation (which now is automatically more and a kick in my butt)

Also the spoiler is irrelevant as they didn't bother to actually deliver it. I've had my car for 4 months and have not once received an update on that.

Well yeah there is that but it does have a cost oh and don't forget the badge which I can happily say I am getting on Tues - I wasn't even sure I wanted it but now I do on principal. BTW don't wait for them to tell you, keep asking - if you want it that is... else no doubt the delay will be longer.

Don't forget about net present value. Even if your FUSC winds up begin worth 6k over 10 years, 5k today is worth more than that.

Unless I supercharge my car for every mile I drive, it's not worth any of those numbers. Calculations in various online sites (and this forum) suggest it's 100k miles even in somewhat costly Calif.

If it was transferrable to a new owner, I might see value there. I though the answer was nope.. (and my account page still says I have to pay so I'm not even sure how to check that)

If your math was right, or some flavor of it, fairness would suggest that Tesla not just FUSC-off to the stealth Performance owners but offer something that reflected that cost difference. That hasn't happened either

edit: account page bit

Just FYI

Tesla Adds Lifetime Free Supercharging For All Model 3 Performance Owners | CleanTechnica

"At an average cost of $0.25/kWh and an EPA estimated efficiency of 3.45 miles per kilowatt-hour for the Model 3 Performance, lifetime free Supercharging is worth $870 per year for someone who uses Supercharging to cover 12,000 miles per year. "

Calif is $0.26 I believe, when I was in Nevada it was dirt cheap as I recall

I don't put that many miles on and supercharging all of them would be the definition of inconvenient..

Wow, at this rate, with folks triple posting machine gun style we might make it to 200 pages!

While I don't agree that the P3D- folks get the shaft compared with P3D+, I also don't agree with the refund in the first place so its just wrong all around. Its like trying to return that laptop or smartphone that you bought in September, when you saw the black friday price. Still, some folks even return the Christmas tree they bought from Costco, after new years day.

I was just driving home last night and marveling that this car has changed my life. Its simply the best thing that's happened to my drive since my license lol. My commute used to be the worst part of my day, now it doesn't even bother me. I just laugh as my car drives itself down the freeway, meanwhile watching others frantically change lanes every mile, and move forward one car length lol. If I hadn't changed my order from the P3D- to +. I'm safer, happier and I paid for it without regret.

Those of you who bought an $70-80k car, are pissed about the price change, and plan on sitting at the supercharger for the value of a quarter a kWh to make your $5k out of spite, is the definition of penny wise and pound foolish.

I'd recommend instead putting that energy into enjoying the car, or getting Elon drunk and then tweeting Fred Lambert, lol.

While I don't agree that the P3D- folks get the shaft compared with P3D+,

Stealth.... or AWD +

don't agree with the refund in the first place

Yeah there is that and I don't think so really either but I don't feel the way it's been handled has been particularly fair or worse - smart.

Those of you who bought an $70-80k car,

Another reason my car was not that much was I skipped the bigger brakes, less efficient power-wise tires, etc

Wow, at this rate, with folks triple posting machine gun style we might make it to 200 pages!

Onward and upward!

BTW I really do appreciate my car tons, best car in a long time.. so there! :)

While I don't agree that the P3D- folks get the shaft compared with P3D+, I also don't agree with the refund in the first place so its just wrong all around. Its like trying to return that laptop or smartphone that you bought in September, when you saw the black friday price. Still, some folks even return the Christmas tree they bought from Costco, after new years day.

I was just driving home last night and marveling that this car has changed my life. Its simply the best thing that's happened to my drive since my license lol. My commute used to be the worst part of my day, now it doesn't even bother me. I just laugh as my car drives itself down the freeway, meanwhile watching others frantically change lanes every mile, and move forward one car length lol. If I hadn't changed my order from the P3D- to +. I'm safer, happier and I paid for it without regret.

Those of you who bought an $70-80k car, are pissed about the price change, and plan on sitting at the supercharger for the value of a quarter a kWh to make your $5k out of spite, is the definition of penny wise and pound foolish.

I'd recommend instead putting that energy into enjoying the car, or getting Elon drunk and then tweeting Fred Lambert, lol.

Price guarantees and price matching are concepts as old as the modern retail... What is wrong with getting a price adjustment within a certain (usually short) period of time? Nothing. It has nothing to do with the amount of enjoyment I get from the car.

I am happy to see Tesla is doing more than any traditional car maker ever would. I am less happy that the - owners are not getting the same treatment.

I don't know what the different rotors/calipers cost to Tesla and I don't think it's the point because it is more as is there suspension bits, tires etc. and they sell it for a value (cost to me) reflective of what I might pay had I not gotten it from Tesla. Thus the car is, in theory, worth more than just $100 more on resale even with depreciation (which now is automatically more and a kick in my butt)
Your car came with brakes, tires, and suspension bits. The only additional parts in the PUP are pedals and the spoiler. You are asking Tesla to make less money off of your sale than they do for customers who purchased the PUP.
If you look at the depreciation of performance upgrades like bigger wheels and lowered suspension on other makes you will see that they make very little difference to resale value. If you're worried about depreciation you should always buy the most basic trim.

Price guarantees and price matching are concepts as old as the modern retail... What is wrong with getting a price adjustment within a certain (usually short) period of time? Nothing. It has nothing to do with the amount of enjoyment I get from the car. I am happy to see Tesla is doing more than any traditional car maker ever would. I am less happy that the - owners are not getting the same treatment.

Honestly, I think Elon made a huge mistake here in offering 5k back, but piled on top of the Tesla mistake of dropping price just after the Q3 push its all relative. Its a comedy of errors.
The events that follow are a series of bad to worse decisions. Need a company official position and response now, and It looks like they are trying to keep this quiet by making no official statement, or perhaps waiting till Q1 so they don't blow up a profitable quarter. Different people get different answers between P3D, Stealth, who you talk to, what day of the week ect.

My comment about enjoyment was only to refocus some of this attention, Seeing people who would otherwise be focused on the joy of ownership getting riled up (rightly) in response to the pile of Tesla mistakes sucks.

Tesla has no official price match or price guarantee, and I think that if they want to change the way cars are sold, and change the price as often as they do, then some official policy needs to be put in place.

Honestly, I think Elon made a huge mistake here in offering 5k back, but piled on top of the Tesla mistake of dropping price just after the Q3 push its all relative. Its a comedy of errors.
The events that follow are a series of bad to worse decisions. Need a company official position and response now, and It looks like they are trying to keep this quiet by making no official statement, or perhaps waiting till Q1 so they don't blow up a profitable quarter. Different people get different answers between P3D, Stealth, who you talk to, what day of the week ect.

My comment about enjoyment was only to refocus some of this attention, Seeing people who would otherwise be focused on the joy of ownership getting riled up (rightly) in response to the pile of Tesla mistakes sucks.

Tesla has no official price match or price guarantee, and I think that if they want to change the way cars are sold, and change the price as often as they do, then some official policy needs to be put in place.

You may be right but he said what he said and now they need to make good on it.

Reactions: Msjulie and Roys3
Your car came with brakes, tires, and suspension bits. The only additional parts in the PUP are pedals and the spoiler. You are asking Tesla to make less money off of your sale than they do for customers who purchased the PUP.

Not asking for anything in specific - everyone wants to devalue the actual cost of the PUP parts but then they want to claim it was worth a ton and stealth folks should shut up. Not agreeing with that kind of thinking..

Reactions: Roys3 and Big City
If you look at the depreciation of performance upgrades like bigger wheels and lowered suspension on other makes you will see that they make very little difference to resale value. If you're worried about depreciation you should always buy the most basic trim.
It's the principal, not the actual parts that pisses me off. It's the way this mess was handled.
At this point, everyone who purchased a performance model paid the same price, during the same period of time, but not everyone receive equal cars. It's as simple as that. Yes the Tires, wheels, and brakes are still more expensive than the standard parts, the quality and finish on the aeros is not nearly as nice, and the tires are not as good either, and yes bigger brakes are better on a car that already has know braking issues. Did I want PUP? yes, but I had to choose between EAP and PUP and I chose EAP. Boy was that the worst decision ever!

I will refrain from saying more, but every time I read "Just enjoy the car" I have to hold my tongue now. Or I will get reported.